Now that we have it....

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

let's see some great pics and share info with one another ! All I know is that I have "poppies". I cannot wait to gain info from those of you "in the know". Spring should bring great photos but ,in the meantime, please share your knowledge with those of us that are eager to learn !

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Here's a pic from one of my gardens. I had just posted a different pic on the other thread too.

Thumbnail by mulchmania
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Agremon platyceras and Fall Aster.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I would be happy enough if I could get something like this in my gardens (picture is from Denver Bot. Garden 5/2007)

Thumbnail by greenjay
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Libby,

I only have pics of Wonderland's Mix

here is a pink one

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have limited my planting of them so far since I have been rearranging stuff a lot, once I slow down I'll find homes for more.

orange Wonderland's

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Al, love that orange !!!! Is it an oriental?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I thought it was icelandic, gotta enter the pink one I guess
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55756/index.html

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Let me show you some of my poppies. I have a few of Papaver oriental which are perennials, they make a wonderful show early in the year and die back when the rest of the garden starts to fill.

This is one I grew from seed, and is said to come true to form, Coral Reef.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Most have dark raspberry marks in the middle, some not so much, but all are beautiful.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

that is a must have!

I have several planted where my species dahlias come up and take over after they die back.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Wallaby, your poppies are gorgeous, thanks for posting the pics!

I haven't that many, but a few very nice ones. I managed to get some seed from Patty's Plum and Royal Wedding and grew some of my own, the results of some were very interesting, I would say winners! Patty's Plum is supposed to be sterile, but it can produce some seeds as mine have done, and I see seed for sale, but it has crossed and I have my own new hybrids!

Patty's Plum, I will come back and post more later. This was taken May 26th , 1st flower of the season.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

that settles it Wallaby - must get the Coral Reef - wow, wow, wow

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Beautiful ones Wallaby and Al ! What a way to welcome spring . Are Icelands perennials??

Icelandics are generally biennials, but are so pretty they are worth growing. I had some from a perennial seed mix, I took seed from them for a while and grew more, but eventually moved on to true perennials. It's not that I thought they were more worthy, but I grow a lot of plants from seed and need to cut back somewhere! Their foliage is really lush and lovely too.

This is Royal Wedding, which for me has been a little disappointing but it does grow again, I think the flowers need more sun than it is getting, they don't open until they get the sun. It has helped produce my own hybrid poppy so I can't be too hard on it.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Patty's plum on 8th June in full flower, last year.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Lovely pics! I have had a few orientals, mostly red and orange, but I had them in the old dog run (none of the dog run remains, but that is what I still call that spot in the yard) and they get blight there. I noticed my neighbor planted orientals right across her driveway from my old dog run and hers are doing great.

So this year I try orientals elsewhere in my yard. I would love to have some nice enduring stands of these!

In the meantime, here's another pic of my shirleys, let's see some more from everybody!

Thumbnail by mulchmania

I haven't heard of poppies getting blight. I do get later blight on my potatoes without fail, perhaps because they are early they miss it.

Here is one of my own from my own seed, this has not managed to grow into a large plant yet as it was very hot and dry this year, and a mole keeps digging it up. Last year was it's first flowering, they generally flower in the second year from sowing. I should move it so it can grow better.

The petals are crumpled to begin, with satin silk texture petals I have not seen on any others, almost like wedding dress material. It's colour is a very delicate pinky lilac, it is also huge. The seed ball in the centre is spectacular. The black marks are large and solid. I think it would be difficult to improve on.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Everyone in the garden club said blight is about the only thing that will kill an oriental around here. They seemed to know what they were talking about, but had no useful reccommendations about saving the plants, a pretty organic bunch, we all try to avoid dire chemicals.

Your latest flower pic is specatular, it must be wonderful to see it bloom in person!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

One of the Meconopsis from the nursery. Wish I could get them to grow from seed.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

One of the volunteers in the ever changing bunch in the front yard.

Thumbnail by balvenie

Beautiful colour P. somniferum balvenie! I have grown Meconopsis betonicifolia from seed I took from a plant I bought, it flowered 2 years and disappeared, they do like a fair amount of shade but I don't think dry conditions suit them, and we can have it dry at times. The seed needs to be fresh, bought seed is often old.

I had a few plants starting to grow nicely in the spring, in a tray outside and a huge slug mowed them down! They do wilt off when very small if too thick, which is often the case as they all seem to germinate but you usually are left with a few survivors. They should be sown in a tray outside in the autumn, they don't like to be in confined places. If I get another plant and it flowers I will protect seedlings from slugs with some sort of mesh (if I get around to it!). I bought one from a garden centre which is supposed to be permanent in the garden, M. Lingholm, in a 9cm pot but it died back in the autumn and never returned! M. grandis has been said to be more permanent too, but I think they need an Icelandic climate to live.

I found a site with mention of poppy blight, perhaps it's because we do only get the late variety when poppies have died back so they are not affected, unless it's a different virus to the one potatoes get. I found sites with mention of opium poppies, thought best not to post those,

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/growing-oriental-poppies.html

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have a clump of Patty's Plum on the hillside of my garden in full sun, never has looked as good as yours wallaby1, My soil is very alkaline and we do have hot weather. I should probably try to move it altho it isn't really easy to move Oriental poppies. Your Pinky-lavender seedling is lovely.

I will try to locate a poppy photo to send along.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

That was my Patty's Plum for comparison color with Wallaby's color. Donna

Donna, my Patty's Plum does get some shade, and I have acidic soil, a mulch of leaf compost possibly helps make it a little more alkaline and the plants love it.

I think yours is suffering from the heat, some colours do fade out when too hot, but it is still pretty. The colour you see on mine is very true to colour. There are some which are seed grown, as my seed from that turned out much differently due to crossing with others, seed saved from a plant would have to be isolated (even then I think it may not be true to colour), and as they make little seed anyway I think most would be vegetatively propogated. I know mine was vegetatively propogated, I got it by mail order from a small nurery which has good contacts and the owner is an offficial registered speaker of Royal Horticultural Society. The original Patty's Plum was named after the mother (Patricia) of the grower who found it growing on their compost heap.

These poppies can be propogated by taking a piece of the root when dormant, that may entail digging up the plant which is not something most of us want to do. If you could scratch around and find a root to take off you could try it, I haven't done it myself but you can cut a good size root into approx. 2-3" lengths, a slant at the bottom with a straight cut on top so you know which way up it should go. These can then be pushed into 3" pots with the top just under the surface and with any luck you will get a new plant.

My plant made a runner which came up a short distance away, I took it off in the growing season but it died, perhaps if I had done it when dormant it would have grown. It has spread more now and I have left it, it has also self set about 3 plants around it which flowered this year with pale lavender flowers, but they were not as good as the other one. If they don't look any better next year I will dig them up, they will smother other plants I have there anyway.

This is another I really like from my seed, it has the very ruffled form of Patty's Plum but is essentially white but has a faint tinge of plum, it may have come from Royal Wedding and taken on Patty's Plum characteristics or vice versa, I had about 6 of each and planted them without marking which they were from. I have given it a name, with the very strong black marks, I called it Black Warrior.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Wallaby - all I can say is - WOW :-) What beauties you have. Especially love your first seedling.

Me too corgimom, I think it would be a prizewinner!

I grew some P. orientale pizzicato from bought seed (these grew!), and as usual they were too thick but I ended up with a few. They have huge flowers but shorter stems, ideal for windy spots.

This one is a dayglo salmon, with good markings

Thumbnail by wallaby1

The middle of it, so sumptuous!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I didn't take any really good poppy closeups last summer. Will try to do that this year. I am enjoying see the beautiful closeups that the rest of you took.

Donna

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Oh so beautiful - doesn't it make you wish you were an artist?????? I must get a few of those ! I have not seen Patty's Plum in catalogs. As a matter of fact, I don't see many orientals in catalogs period. Can someone tell me a catalog here in the states that sells orientals? I looked at my only 'Annies' catalog and it only had the annual kind.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Jung, lists Oriental Poppies, but I would advise not buy plants from that company. They are probably okay for seeds but not trees or plants. I bought poppies from the two or three times before I learned my lesson. I bought a supposedly Dwarf Red Haven peach tree from Jungs 12 years ago, Takes several years for a peach tree to reach bearing size, It was 5 years before it had any peaches, It is a white meated peach that will not stay on the tree after almost ripe. They replaced it twice, never was what I ordered.

The poppies just did not grow. So now I might order seeds but nothing else.

Donna

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

As an artist, poppies are a major source of inspiration. Here is one I did that is 60" wide by 48" high.

Thumbnail by mulchmania

That must be impressive in person! They have very interesting centres, this is a close up o fthe salmon one.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

What a yummy flower, I can never get enough poppies!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

mulchmania, wonderful painting. You are very talented.

wallaby, Love your poppy closeup.

If there wasn't quite so much snow I would be tempted to scatter some poppy seeds.

rutholive, you'd probaably find the birds would eat the poppy seeds! Now if they were under the snow.........

Spring is around the corner, but have you noticed how poppies seem to appear very quickly once spring arrives? The annual P somniferum springs up so quickly, I have them every year but they are in my vegetable patch so I can't leave them, if some are in a place that doesn't matter I do leave them.

The orientals grow again from the autumn, then the moles dig around them to get worms hiding amongst their roots, I have some working actively now. Just got to try to remember they have to eat too!

One of my P o. pizzicato is a screaming fiery orange red, quite a sight! I sometimes find myself thinking it doesn't tone with the others and I should move it, but then I like the effect of something so in your face it has to be good!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

here is one of my pics of my annual poppies

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

this one was a little frillier

Thumbnail by corgimom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.