December's Daily Weather #III, The last of 2006.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

30° Dewpoint: 28° Wind: Calm
Humidity: 92% Pressure: 30.52 in Hg
Average: High 39° Low 23°

Today's Sunrise: 7:57AM Today's Sunset: 5:24PM (09:27 hours of sunlight)

Keli that would be ME out there on that Beach!
Janet you're killin' me w/ those Flower shots........lol
(Though I should have a pretty odd surprise here for tomorrow's pic.)
Joey ALL your Babies are cuties!
Sharon I really like that silhouette shot is intriguing. I love shooting like that!
I'll be watching the Bowl so tell them we want good weather.....lol
kiska I think you have ALL the Winter up there...

I hope EVERYONE gets over their sniffles and aches before New Years Eve.........

We're going for Sunny and 60 TODAY. For the next 3 days we'll be near 60 then mid upper 40's
This is just weird...we usually get the occasional temps in the 50's for a couple of days in Dec .
I can't remember ever having THIS much warmth for so long in Dec.
The final averages are not in but I'd say we were 10-12 degrees above normal Highs.
5-8 Degrees above the normal Lows.
It's rarely gone into the 20's.

Yesterday we planted Bulbs.... normally we wouldn't even be able to move the soil w/ a Pick-Axe ...

Well here's our Tanacetum parthenium "Aureum".
Last months shot had it at about 6" tall and wide.
Now I'd say closer to 12"

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ric, is that some of the Cow Parsley? What kind of bulbs did you plant? (being nosey)

Joey

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Good morning!
Henry beat me to the punch...today will be near 60...or better, and sunny. It's already 50, so it's going to get there.

Tomorrow will be in the mid to upper 50's and heavy rain forecast for the afternoon and evening...just what we needed...more rain. I haven't actually looked at the weather map, but I'm guessing it's part of that system that's dumping all of that snow in Denver again.

I've got an 87 year old aunt who is visiting her children in Denver this week and she's keeping us informed on the weather...(she LOVES the Weather Channel) Last night about 8 pm she called and told us that there was already an extra foot on the ground...with at least one more foot to fall overnight. I think it's supposed to be too warm for snow here...so, we'll just all get wet and muddy. Aunt Edna was quite pleased that she was in the middle of a 'state emergency'....she moved to KY from Florida several years ago and really misses being in the middle of the hurricane tracks. Obviously, she's never been through anything really devastating like so many people have in their lives. To her, it's just the excitement of the impending danger....thank goodness she's lived this long with such a child-like attitude. It will give her a good story to tell her buddies at church when she gets home.

With the pet pictures being posted, I couldn't pass the chance to show off Carly...she's a tri-color sheltie who owns us....she's not our dog....we're HER people.

Thumbnail by melody
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Oh! Melody! She's Beautiful! :D

Joey

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Carly!!!

It is supposed to be in the high 50s to low 60s today with a chance of rain all day from the storm hitting Denver. This weekend we supposed to get snow but they keep changing that forcast so we will see.

(Zone 5a)

Oh wow, Melody - Carly is a beauty! What a great photo!! :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Joey that's a Golden Feverfew. At this rate it will be blooming here soon.... lol
We planted Muscari armeniacum (Grape Hyacinth) and more Naked Lady Bulbs...
I 'lost' the bag of Snowdrops... I KNOW they are hidding here somewhere............

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

melody that is one Sweet Pup!

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Carly is gorgeous, Melody!

It's going to be warm and wet here again. We're going to have thunderstorms this afternoon and evening and more tomorrow with the highs in the mid 70's. Right now it is just misting slightly. This is pretty normal for us. It will probably get "cold" again at least once in January. We prune roses on Valentine's Day!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:24am CST (19 min ago)
Temperature 64 °F 18 °C
Dew Point 62 °F 17 °C
Humidity 94%
Pressure 30.00 in 1016 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH 10 kts
Wind Dir ESE 110°
Ceiling 4200 ft 1280 m
Visibility 5 mi 8.0 km
Current Conditions Mist
Remarks Trace precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 64.0°F / 17.8°C

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ric, I'm not much on the Latin names for stuff, But I do know many of the common names (believe it or not). My cousin always laughs at me when I call them "Bare Naked Ladies"! :D I love Grape Hyacinth ~ they're one of my alltime spring faves. I just wish I had more sunny spots to plant those "lovelies". Altho, I do love my shade!

Joey

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

She will be 6 years old on Monday. She'll get a special treat and hopefully, the weather will be good enough for her to enjoy patrolling for moles....she's my Official Mole Catcher...it's her job. These dogs need a job or they get in all sorts of trouble...so she 's decided that we can't have moles here. All my neighbors are infested with the varmints...I have none.

Here she is over at JustmeLisa's exploring...she LOVES to go to Lisa's

Thumbnail by melody

She goes after moles?! I want her!!! We have moles here and at my grandma's. Over there they are so bad that they have literally messed up her gardens and before we went in and redid it her house. They had gone under her porch and cause it to sink which in turn messed up te basement. We have traps that work but we need Carly!! She can do much better!! LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Do you 'Rent' HER out?
Our neighbor's yard is Mole Central...
Our Wu (our Shar-pei) is a Possum Dog. I'm sure she thinks they are Giant Rats..lol

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Melody, You can't beat That! Beauty & Braun! :D I have a mole killer as well. My Jack, (the energizer poochie) is quite deadly to moles. Hes' killed mine & all the neighbors'. There's been 1 drawback. I have to fill in the holes! :D But nobody seems to mind. They tell me not to fill in the holes, but I feel rather guilty & do it anyway. I think he's gotten all the ones in the yards & has gone to the woods after them & the chipmunks. Definitely a varmit dawg.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ric,! "Sharpei is the way!" The energizer poochie is part! Your Wu is Gorgeous!!!

Jack, after something on the ground....

This message was edited Dec 29, 2006 10:19 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Melody and Ric - your babies are beautiful!
We sure are overcast for only a 20% chance of rain!

Can I borrow her as well? Our lawn is mole central. They're everywhere! I think the cats have just given up!

Prissy doesn't really catch anything except her own shadow and rays, but she sure is fun to have around!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Good Morning, well I went to sleep to a loud blast of thunder and woke up to another.
It was 50º at midnight and this morning it's;
36 °F / 2 °C
Heavy Thunderstorm Rain Mist
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 36 °F / 2 °C
Wind: 17 mph / 28 km/h / 7.7 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 29 mph / 46 km/h
I am 400 miles SE of Denver, sowe are in that mix. TV last night said this weather was actually being sent from El Paso, go figure.
The animated Nexrad which I just joined WU@$10 for a year, shows all the 'weather' going south to north, so I guess the cold hits that wet stuff and there you are.
Last night I aniimated the Jet Stream and it was quite a show.....try it. It's free in the evening.
Sharon, I love the picture.
Well I fly back to Florida next wednesday. As most of you know I'm a "Boiler Gypsy" and travel all the time. I however don't have Henry with me and I am very homesick....Note this after looking at Sharon's pictures. Sharon maybe we can have lunch while I'm in Jax. I love Fernandina Beach
I think Carly is just gorgeous and those Shelties are so smart.
Have a wonderful day.
Sidney

This message was edited Dec 29, 2006 10:27 AM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Currently: 68°F
Partly Cloudy
Wind: N at 10 mph
Humidity: 46%
Tonight: Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the upper 40s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Very dull and gray day. It's supposed to rain most of New Year's Eve and Day.

Love the pup pics. Will have to add mine...when I get home from the job.
Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bright Sun Light - 62.1°(F) porch, 81.7°(F) shed, 55%RH

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

We _almost have sun very bright clouds - but still, clouds.

Lo - 38, Hi 46, hum 38% still no precip

(Zone 3b)

9:30 am - 27 degrees, hint of daylight, snow forecast. Sunrise 10:16 - Set @ 3:41pm - Gain of 1m46sec..really adding up now :)
Your puppys are all so cute; we don't have moles here, but the puppys seem to keep busy w/other things to chase.
Marylyn, once again I'm caught off guard, the thought of pruning roses in February seems unreal...
3:30 sunset yesterday.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Temp dropping quickly w/the setting sun ( I hate it when that happens ) 59.9 porch and the shed quit again, I thought it was a frequency thing with the metal shed but may be a sudden change thingy (yea I'll ignore the spell check on thingy).

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Just in case there is confusion, that ocean picture was definitely not taken at my house. That was at a hotel. We weren't even supposed to have an ocean front room but they messed up our reservations so they upgraded us. The day that picture was taken was not a nice day. There were sustained winds of 30mph with gusts to 55mph and the high temperature was 50F. The wind howled in the fireplace vent and pretty much drowned out the sound of the ocean. The day before was nice, though.

Here at home, it is a little windy but what they were calling for has not materialized. Some rain would be nice but there is nothing in the forecast.

BTW, we are supposedly in an El Nino, but you could have fooled me. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ (In my region, El Nino typically brings a lot of rain.)

Windshield picture from last week.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sharon - the stew was good, I just did not send a large enough container. Carrots are always ready depending on how large you want to harvest. I prefer the tender ones (don't cook them as long).

Hi everyone - I hate to brag, but it's a Gorgeous (note capital G!) day here! Light breeze, 73 big puffy clouds in the sky - Sidney it's Spring today and you're missing it! LOL!!! I'll try to save some for you for your return.
Sidney - let me know when you get back in town and are ready for some company. I'd love to have lunch! You can bring me upto date on TX news, as that is my native "home" as well.
Kiksa - that's a beautiful sunset....
Dyson - I honestly didn't know that about carrots, maybe I'll try planting them in '07 (can you belive it's almost here?)

Tonight...Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 50s near the coast...Mid 50s inland. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. I think it's going to be very similar to today...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Driving over the intracoastal to the island (had to go to Home Depot earlier)!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Met DH for lunch while off island - he was dangling a baggie full of candy out the window!!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

OK here's a "warm up" to the big night in two days :-) There was a firework show a few minutes ago over the harbor here in Hafnarfjordur - and I took my camera and tripod (along with the girls ofcourse! lol) ...... unfortunately most of the photos weren't very good but here's one decent. A lot of people who can't wait are jumping the gun a bit and starting with the fireworks already. It's like that every year a few days before and after the BIG show ;-) Well, this is what we'll be seeing all over town in two nights :-D

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Kiska - that sunset photo is fantastic!!

LOL - Sharon - hope you had somthing more substantial as well for lunch! lol

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm a bit late, but just wanted to add a pic of my pup. Here she is helping me keep an eye on my "threadwatcher".

I just spent an hour outside, planting bulbs and being amazed by everything that's trying to come up out of the ground! Beautiful afternoon!

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

The weather's so weird here that I have orchids growing in my yard. It is the dead of winter and I have orchids that I planted this past summer, which did nothing by the way, growing. Irises are popping new leaves and so are some wildflowers and lilies. I really miss winter. I will post a pic of the orchid if my dad gets home before I lose what little light I have left. He took the camera with him, drat it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Deb, your dog is beautiful, too! I love other people's dogs. :-)

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu!! It got up to 60* today & at the moment it's 42* w/"Dyson Dark" & clear skys. So we'll probably have another nice frost in the morning. I had Iris's sprouting & the frost mad them bite the dust this morning....Will they come back? My Dutch Iris's have sproutted, but the frost didn't bother Them. The ones that have wilted are the ones I planted this fall (Oct.)
Deb, your pup is precious! She looks like she's taking a nap on your "puter"! :D
Pepper, I hope your dad got back w/your camera! I wanna see....
Rann! Yeah!!! I can't wait to see more! :D
Sharon, glad you are feeling better & your DH must be a nut! :D Offering your candy! when you were expecting a "good" lunch! ;) (BTW ~ great cloud pic) Sounds like a good Summer day for me here.
Dyson, nothing like fresh, garden carrots, huh?
Kiska! that is a BE-U-TI-FUL! Sunset! Wow!
Ric, Jack likes to "do in" Possums, too. That was the 1st thing he ever nabbed! BTW ~ can you ID this for me? It looks somewhat like your Feverfew. (doesn't it?)

Have a good Evenin' Everybody!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's good to be back!

44* and nice at 6:00 pm. It's been 49* the last couple of days.

I've been spending these last few nice days outside walking the flower beds and taking yard measurements. I've been drawing the house and yard to scale since 1985. Every year that I make a new bed or enlarge an old one, I draw it in. I've gotten behind and am working on 2004 right now. I'll catch up. I just have to shut my eyes and say no computer today. Very hard to do!

Deb, she's adorable!

Rannveig, your fireworks are beautiful!!

Sharon, I agree, your husband is a nut! That is so funny! That is a Gorgeous sky!

Kelli, I'm laughing because my first thought from your picture was that Wile E. Coyote painted a line for the roadrunner to follow.

Kiska, that is a magnificent picture of the sunset!!

Blooms, I'm sure I missed your Birthday, so Happy Belated!!!

Sugar, I'm sorry you get homesick, but the upside is, you've seen more of the world than most of us ever will. Weather too!

Well, that catches me up a little.

Sally

Here is the what I am assuming to be an orchid. I have posted in the ID forum to see if I can get any ids for sure.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Billy, Glad you're Back!! You Have Been Missed!

Pepper, I know nothing about Orchids, but it does look like my Bromiliad! (in baby form)

Joey

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Joey!

I only have astilibes and orchids in this little plot. The orchids I figured should be dead with all the freezing temps we have had. That's why it's driving me nuts!! LOL

Hi Sally!! Off to read your post in the Central M. forum. Welcome back and you can measure my yard any time! lol

To me it looks like a lily, but I wouldn't know a baby orchid if it fell on me.

Beep! Beep!

Thumbnail by Kelli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.