Help, seeds are sprouting!!

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

In a moment of boredom and a very cold week, probably a couple of weeks ago, I WS'd some containers, put them on the back deck. They do get quite a bit of afternoon sun out there, so guess with the sun and this warm up, I have several containers sprouting. Hollyhocks, love lies bleeding, foxgloves, poppies, and asclepias. Think I should just leave them out to fend for themselves, or bring them in under the lights, and start new WS containers??

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Mary:

You're really getting into the wintersowing spirit! There is a saying in wintersowing, 'only the strong survive'. Yes, some of your seedlings may not make it, but the ones that do are going to be VERY hardy! You may be the 1st one to be planting out in your garden, before all the rest of us!! :~)

Whatever you do, DON'T bring your containers indoors.....it may weaken their stems. Keep their soil moist, if no natural precipitation occurs. I wouldn't worry about their hardiness, but rather move them (if possible) to an area that gets morning instead of afternoon sun.

Tom Clothier's website http://tomclothier.hort.net/index.html has lots of comprehensive information on seed germination. It can be lengthy, but I find it a very valuable resource and have printed out his various databases. I find it very helpful to have a 'hard copy' in front of me when sowing.

http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Solstice_Celebration.html is a wonderful way to celebrate the winter solstice. It may give you some ideas. It has tons of information, step-by-step pictures, creative & fun quizzes and updated 'stuff' all the time! Do read and re-read this website....you need to read it MORE than once! :~)

You'll be fine! Your seedlings will be fine!! Have fun & try not to worry!!!

HINT: Keep a few seeds from each type that you sow....just in case you need to re-sow them at a future point.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Mary, I thought you meant "a few"! 5 different plants, each of which is fairly large when mature!! Do you have a lot of space?

xxx, Carrie

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

We have 5 acres, but only about 1 acre is cleared right now, the rest is wooded.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Compared to my quarter-acre urban lot, that's fairly roomy!

xxxx, Carrie

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I can't help but think these seeds that are already spouting will be lost with the first good freeze that comes along.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wait and see.... When we were really little occasionally we would have dessert, and sometimes it was grapefruit (ugh) and sometimes wonderful chocolate pudding, sometimes jello, sometimes canned fruit cocktail. So when we wee ones would clamour to know what was for dessert, she would say "wait and see pudding". !!!!!! Which is what I say to you, Mary, "wait and see pudding".

xxxxxxx, Carrie

Carrie~ too cute! Very good reminder! ;0)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.