Start the ball rolling!!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Good morning friends. Sorry about the mix-up!! Thanks Dave. :-)

I have been growing hydrangeas for a couple of years and I only have the mophead - macrophylla or hortensia group and 1 lacecap that I bought recently. I really do love these shrubs - they are so easy, obliging and propagation is simple. New plants from cuttings will produce blooms in less than a year. I am posting a link here for your information. Other sites will follow. Looking forward to meeting you all, to sharing and learning!

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod03/01700494.html
This message was edited Sunday, Jul 29th 12:28 AM

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 29th 11:14 AM

Spring, TX(Zone 8a)

I have 2 plants I believe are hydrangeas in the backyard of my new house (bought in November). Both have leaves that look right. One bloomed just a little back in late May--probably a lacecap type, those I've only seen those in magazines. It's got variegated leaves--green with a light green border. These are in really shaded areas though, and I read that insufficient light makes them not blooms and become leggy. I have also planted 3 hydrangeas that I purchased--a Nikko blue and two other mopheads; can't remember the names offhand. None of them bloomed. I read somewhere that mopheads bloom on second-ear growth--is that true? If so, maybe these plants are too young.

Main problem I am having is the awful heat in Houston. I water copiously almost every day which seems to really help, but still, the edges of some of the leaves turn brown. Any tricks for growing in this climate? Or is it hopeless?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I used to have several beautiful hydrangeas (mophead, blue), but I was forced to leave them behind when my family moved. Thankfully, I'm preparing a bed for new hydrangeas (mophead, maybe pink) as we speak, so I hope to have more to add to this forum soon :-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Do you mind if I call you susan? Welcome to DG - I know you will find this such an informative and friendly place to be!! I have been finding a few more sites on hydrangeas and will post them. Heat can be a problem and it must be so very hot in Texas at this time. I am not used to such heat myself, hailing originally from England, but our summer here in Virginia has been quite bearable this year. OK this is what I find. Hydrangeas do like shaded areas but too much water on the leaves can cause powdery mildew. The mildew is usually present on the underside of the leaves and the top of the leaves go a rusty brown and purple. It is best to water the roots only. I will post the sites tomorrow because it's a bit late now and I can't keep my eyes open. Please check back :-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry about all the silly posts or non-posts. I have no idea what happened. Access was very slow and nothing seemed to be happening. Then I find my post has been repeated about 4 times. Sorry!! :-)

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 29th 12:23 AM

Well I have really done it now. Erased my first message in error. Just goes to show when one is tired, one should go to bed. I'm gone!!

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 29th 12:31 AM

Cordova, MD

HILousia! I'm sure in bed by now and I'm going to shortly also... Ztasusan- Hi and welcome to DG- I'm a newbie too- you might want to try spraying your leaves with Ortho's Orthene for Roses- I find it does the trick on many of my other plants also!
Water, yes- but grown only- I sometimes lay a whole bunch o f ice cubes around my plants - can't to them with a hose very well- asnd that does the trick! Great state- Texas! Maybe some other of the fine Tezans- eyessosoft and others can help you, too!
-JSS

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

killerdaisy - nice to see you here. I know all about leaving plants behind - I have done it so many times!! I have the macrophylla (mophead) in pink but still in pots waiting to be planted. Once they are planted in my clay soil I am sure they will turn blue but I like pink so soil amendment or application will be necessary. I will gladly send you cuttings when the plants are in the ground and growing :-)!!!

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Hi all. This is an interesting and informative site from a Southern hydrangea enthusiast: http://www.conweb.com/hydrangea

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Verdesign - Would you believe I am a member there! There are some useful connections and info but I find the site a bit confusing. But it's probably just me and my impatience!! lol!

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Hey Louisa, It is a little difficult to negotiate; however, I like the webmaster and appreciate his sharing "an amateur's approach" to growing hydrangeas. So glad we have THIS forum and look forward to sharing all of our information. At this moment mine are getting water as they are struggling with our heat.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Verde - seems we are keeping this afloat between us...lol!! Speaking of afloat - we are having heavy, unrelenting rain and wish I could send you some, I really do! Yes, I like Pete also and have had mail from Germany via the site. They grow some beauties over there. I am going to visit my daughter in Germany in October - I wonder whether I will be able to bring back cuttings!!

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Louisa, I'm not familiar with all of the customs regulations; however, I do know that when I tried to bring plants back from Europe and the Middle East I was not successful. This forum will pick up speed in time as there are a lot of hydrangea lovers out there!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

No I didn't think I could bring plant material into the US - it was just a thought!! A nice thought! I have no doubt that this forum will be very successful and I look forward to meeting old and new friends :-)

This message was edited Friday, Aug 17th 1:58 AM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello Sis!! So glad to have you join us! Sorry you lost your Nikko Blue. I think the ideal position for hydrangeas is facing East and even then the morning sun can cause the shrub to 'wilt' but it bounces back in the afternoon. This position suited my zone 7 climate. Those in cooler climates, and I think hydrangeas prefer this, should perhaps plant them in a warmer position. I too have clay soil :-)

This message was edited Friday, Aug 17th 1:59 AM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sis - go to this site, it is really very, very good!! Then scroll down to the "H" category. Do you have a hydrangea growing in complete shade now? Or was the one you lost growing under these conditions? Hydrangeas need some sun :-)

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod03/mod03h.html

This message was edited Friday, Aug 17th 2:00 AM

This message was edited Friday, Aug 17th 2:02 AM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sis it seems there are some hydrangeas that do really well in the sun but I really don't know about temps over the 100F mark!! Most experts seem to agree to partial shade - I would leave your shrubs where they are right now, especially given this heat and in any case you should not really move shrubs until the fall or spring!

This message was edited Friday, Aug 17th 2:00 AM

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sue glad to hear the heat is 'off' a little now. Look after that baby - Sister Teresa :-) Trish - wish you had visited this way - would have loved to meet with you. Met Tim and Erin today - what great people!! Gave them your love! More on them later! I am going to see whether I can bring back 'cut' flowers in the way of hydrangea 'flowers'......!! Going to Germany in October - did I mention that above? Must have!!

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Trish - wonderful huh!! Briefly ran through the site but it looks as though I can bring in 'flowers' and seeds. I'm so happy :-)

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Is that a hint Trish....lol!!!! I'll see what I can do! I would have done the same as you re the wine and cheese - I can't wait :-)

Greenlawn, NY(Zone 6B)

Hi everyone!
I am a newbie and love the two hydrangeas I have in the shaded area of my yard. One is a beautiful blue lace cap and I don't know what the other is. I am heading to the garden shop to buy more tomo! Love this site--thanks for getting it off the ground Louisa.

Sandy

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Why Sandy, thankyou and welcome to DG!! Always nice to see another enthusiast! Where are you from and where do you buy your hydrangeas? Maybe you can post a picture of the 'unknown' hydrangea so we can help you identify it. Have a great day :-)

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL MM - I just love your winning ways :-)

Germantown, MD(Zone 7a)

I just stumbled onto this forum. It must be new. I rarely post but do read the posts. I will try and post more. My hydrangeas get sun all day. :-/ I am afraid to move them now. They did not bloom this year. For some reason no new growth came on the older branches. All growth is new from the ground. Hopefully, next year I will have some flowers. I am trying my hand at propagating the little darlings. I have heard it is easy. We will see. Thanks for all the great web sites. Ree

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Ree - sorry missed your post. Did you prune your hydrangeas last year? You may have cut off this year's blooms. If there is anything you wish to know please ask. I am not an expert but know the basics :-)

Germantown, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Louisa,
No I didn't prune them as I knew the flowers would be on old wood. But my old wood never flowered or produced leaves it was if they were dead. Other growth came up and flourished while these sticks just stayed there. Half-way through summer I trimmed the dead and hollow 'sticks'. The hydrangea is big and just as healthy as can be now. I am hoping next season to see some blooms. I have also fertilized regularly this past growing season. I hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply.
Ree
God Bless America!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well you could knock me down with a feather....lol!! I thought no-one was going to use the forum after I had Dave open it up for us. We must keep it alive and I'm wondering where all the enthusiasts went. And so I am really happy to see you here this morning Ree. You have done everthing correctly and I'm sure your flowers will come next year - just be careful with the fertilizer. Too much and you will get all leaves and no flowers. Have a great day :-)

Oh Louisa,I'm reading,just nothing to say,learning from all the great posts,lol':D My Sister Teresa is in mud,hope it drys soon'

Welcome Ree'

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Is she mulched Sis? - if it gets too soggy you might want to pull the mulch back a little. Sorry if the rain is on overload for you. We are expecting it soon, I hope :-)

Just checked and she's fine,thanks but my blue grass is nearly 6in.tall. Gonna be fun bailing it,lol,when it dries out'Also lit my mosquito coils,very bad now too' These t-storms were slow movers and must have at least gotten 4-6 inches here' Glad we have new rooves now too,lol'Hope your storms are kind Louisa,that time of year,lol''

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

me too Sis, me too :-)

Germantown, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the welcome. Send some rain my way! Of course the rain may not be good for the recovery efforts at the Pentagon and further up north in NYC.

I have some hydrangea cuttings rooted in a pot. Would you plant them in the ground now or later in the fall in the pot or out? They have been rooting for 2 months.

Ree

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.