Blackberries

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Anyone on here grow Brazos or Kiwoa? Just picked up a big bunk of these on sale at Lowes for 6 bucks for 12 1 gallon plants got on Daves (we love berries any type) and there is very very little information in the plant files.

Any help? - and no I dont buy most of my garden plants at Lowes... but these I could not pass up they are just bursting with stems and growth.

Mitch

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Mitch,

I have Kiowa and Triple Crown blackberries. Kiowa is thorny and Triple Crown is not thorny. That said, the Kiowas are perhaps the earliest bearer of about any variety. They bear very large fruit and are not bothered by something called "the white" something or other which happens to some of the Triple Crowns in full sun. [bleached druplets on the sunny side]

Kiowas do not need staking after they are established. The fruits are fairly good in taste, but not quite as sweet as Triple Crown.

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

Mitch,
I've had Kiowa for two years - great production of huge berries with good flavor - which has not been the case for some of the other cultivated blackberry varieties I've tried in the past. They are thorny as all get-out, but worth it to me. The two thornless cultivars I still have are going away - not worth the space they're taking up, compared to Kiowa.
Indy's pretty close to correct about trellising. If you 'head' your Kiowa canes when they reach 4-5 ft, they're fairly well self-supporting, and may not need much, if any support, but if you let 'em grow to 8-10 ft, they will fall over unless trellised.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks good to know - these get to be much bigger then the little wild bushes that I have been growing then - I know I planted them with loads of room . Thanks everyone,Mitch

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.