fluorescent plant lights and indoor plant stand

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it, so . . . .

What are the best fluorescent plant lights to use for indoor seed germinating and growing (in the basement, in my case)? I understand I don't need to pay for "grow lights", but recalled that I should get a combination of types of bulbs, and I don't recall what that combination is. . . .

We are making the plant stand that is at www.tsflowers.com/plantstand.html (or more specifically, I am hoping to be "surprised" by this at Christmas), which is why I am asking the question.

If any has experience with this stand and/or suggestions for it, do tell! Thanks.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

There are threads about this over at the house plants forums, most people just used the cheap shoplights. I bought a baker's rack at HD for less than $40, including shipping, and I had a couple of Ott-Lites, so I was set. I put the baker's rack in a south-facing picture window too.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Did you hang the Ott-Lites from the Bakers Rack? I don't visualize that.

Also, I wasn't able to find a relevant thread on "houseplants" -- the search feature appears to be on the blink again. So I'd love more imput on bulb color/type.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2006 2:02 PM

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

happy, I've been looking into this too, and for starting seedlings, the regular fluorescent bulbs are fine... you can use cool and warm bulbs together to get a broader spectrum of color temperature.

I think mature plants and more permanent set-ups can justify using much more costly metal halide bulbs

here's one thread:http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/403604/

This message was edited Dec 17, 2006 3:53 PM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think there's been some discussion of lights on this forum too--if search isn't working scroll down through a few pages and I'm sure you'll see the threads, I don't think they were that long ago.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

HM, my Ott-Lites were on their own stands, I put them near the plants that need the extra high intensity lights, otherwise I just let the southern sun do the rest.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

ecrane3: Thanks!

bbinnj: You have sun! Unfortunately, my plants will be in the basement, so I need to be sure the light is ok. . . .

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Happy, I recall the folks putting their plants in the basement bought cheap shop lights at HD and hung them from baker's racks too. My basement is soooo cold, wouldn't do for the plants at all (but great for storing wine!).

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Yum, yum, wine! Almost as nice as flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.