What wireless thermometer do you use? WIth alarm?

Buffalo, NY

I'm looking around for a wireless thermometer that will set off an alarm when the temp gets too high or cold.
Anyone know of one?

Fulton, MO

Heebie, Oregon Scientific makes a variety of wireless weather stations and remote sensors with alarms. (I ordered one and it didn't work. I have been told, and I suspect that it's true, that electrical interference was the cause of trouble. Wireless phones, wireless routers, even refridgerators and other electrical appliances can apparently interfere.)

Sensaphone is a nice product which is hard-wired. It will dial one or more phone numbers in the case of an alarm. There is a commercial grower just down the road from me (Mylu) who swears by his Sensaphone.

Hope that helps.

Lindenwold, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Heebie, I use a model from Radio Shack, it features high and low temperature alarms, humidity, as well as, a memory feature. I believe it was less than $50.00. It can also monitor it to 3 or 4 locations with the additonal monitors. I have seen similar and cheaper at Lowes and Home Depot. It is nice to be able to monitor your greenhouse from your house.

I hope to helps.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I use Walmart's . Just get an indoor/outdoor thermometer with alarm. Under $20. Put the outdoor part in the GH. Works very well and won't cost a fortune.

MollyD

Greeley, CO(Zone 5a)

Mine is for Oregon Scientific and it works real good, the advantage of buying one from a local outlet, is it is easier to return if you are not satisfied. I have 3 remote sensors on mine.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I also have Oregon Scientific, model BAR122 with two remotes. I like having humidity monitored and I also alarm on low humidity. It's important for me to keep things "wet," growing almost all rainforest tropicals. The satellite clock is a nice feature too.

The only thing I don't like is having to reset all my alarm points whenever I swap out the rechargeable batteries in the main unit. It's just a little time consuming.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

I use Acu-Rite and it works great!!

Blessings,
Awanda

Denver, PA

I also use Oregon Scientific and I like them. I don't use an alarm. If the electricity goes out, I know I'm in trouble :) I keep a non-electric propane heater (top of tank model) handy in case of emergency.
Dave, I too need to keep an eye on low humidity. I installed a himidistat which controls a lawn sprinkler valve which in turn activates a mister nozzle and a fan right behind it. It's not a true mist like in humidifiers, but it was cheap and I don't have to add water, or constantly change wicks. How do you add humidity? Also curious what tropicals you grow. I grow palms in PA zone 6b.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have an Oregon Scientific system. I can say that it works wonders. I have the entire system... with an additional unit for my green house. It tells me the temp, humidity and dewpoint of the interior of the green house. Further more, I have it hooked up to my computer network and have written a software application that I personally can set alarms for various things on my PC to alert me... my husband can set his settings the way he wants.... etc. So, I have to go no further than my PC to check the temps and such of my green house.

The Oregon Scientic system is really worth it.

Donna

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Mine doesn't have an alarm. I use an indoor/outdoor with clock,etc made by SkyScan. I got it at sams for about $20. The space heater I use comes on when the temp gets down to 65. I am in the room with the thermometer during the day so when the temp rises, I go open the window and door. The auto window opener broke. No fan yet, but I'll have to get one for spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.