Germinating Hibiscus seeds...

Hollywood, FL(Zone 10b)

(Is there a better forum to ask about this? I don't think it fits under "propagation"...?)

I'm having trouble germinating some Hibiscus seeds. My usual method is using a baggy in a bright window, which has worked for mostly everything. I've also tried planting these Hibiscus in a pot outside, keeping them damp, etc., but that hasn't worked either.
One of the 2 Hibs I've been trying to germinate is the TX Star.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
~Gina

Byron, GA

Gina,
I grow Texas Star Hibiscus every year. This is how I germinate them. Put your seeds in a small vitamin or medicine bottle. Pour boiling water over them and allow the it to cool. Put in about 1/4 tsp of H2O2 and recap your bottle. In 2-3 days you should seed the root coming from the seed of the viable seeds. Fish out the germinated ones and plant in 6 packs and discard the rest after about 5 days. If you have a limited number of seeds, then try a few. This is the only method I use although many people just plant them in potting soil. With this method, it's quick and you know the seeds that you are planting are viable. Have fun and be brave. This works for me!

BTW, I snipped off the end of a baby medicine dispenser to make the hole large enough for the sprouted seed to be sucked up in the dropper. This way I don't damage the root when transferring the seed to the 6 pack.
Digs

Hollywood, FL(Zone 10b)

That's a great method! I'll try it on the TX Star and the other one, since it is also in a hard shell.

(I got decent grades in chemistry about 7 yrs ago, but I still had to look up which chemical H202 was... it's so sad... )
~Gina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.