Beccariophoenix experiences?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Any one had any luck with this palm? When I first started growing palms, I lived in an even worse climate than I am in now, and this one was impossible- had maybe two to three yellowy, thrashed leaves all the time until it finally just slowly died. A lot of my palm friends in better climates had similar experiences. I just pretty much figured it was a no-go in southern California... In the tropics it looks somewhat like a massive coconut palm- many more leaves than a coconut, and a lot longer... and a lot slower growing. Here is one in a private garden in Hawaii

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

But to my surprise... though I had following this palm for years, the Huntington's palm, growing in a south-facing grassy hillside in a marginal zone (9b-10a) has succeeded in surviving until an actual stem/trunk has formed, and years beyond losing its classic 'window-leaves' typical of seedlings. So maybe it will grow up and be an adult someday... though obviously only a shadow of the tropical monsters.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2006 5:52 PM

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's another nice one growing in Hawaii on Oahu

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

and another large one in yet another private garden on the big island.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Venice, FL(Zone 10a)

I think it will be a good grower for SoCal considering its less tropical requirements than a coconut. Here is a picture of one here in Sarasota County at a friend's house. Thats me for scale.

Thumbnail by cfkingfish
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

I've got both forms (windows and no windows) and both have done great for me. The windows variety tends to yellow in too much sun and seems to do better in filtered sun while the no windows thrives in full sun. They are all in 15 gallon containers which I will be shifting into 24's in spring.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

let's see photos!

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

I had the pleasure of touring Ron Lawyers garden the other day. Insane collection of mature palms. I am still in shock at what he has. He is one of the early birds to the more exotic palm world. So the plants he has are old and large!

Anyway, I am alomost 100% sure he has a Beccariophoenix that has trunk down by the golf course road. The thing looked great. He had tons of mature palms and it was hard to find one that really stood out, but I had to go with the Clinostigma. About 10 foot of trunk and all lime green trunk to the base. If I buy some palms from him, I will require that I can take pictures as part of the deal. :)

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

He has been doing things for a long time and lives in a great climate for palms... last time I saw his place he had a Lemurophoenix seedling in the ground- largest I had seen in So Cal... is it still alive?

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

I doubt it because he showed me everything and I would remember that palm. Also, I asked if he had any for sale before I even saw his place and he stated they were too touchy, so maybe that means he lost his.

He does have some amazing 'newer' stuff.
1) Dypsis marojejyi. Gorgeous palm. I can't find this in any size anywhere.
2) Dypsis "Big Red". Basically Dypsis lastelliana, but much more red and it is more hardy like leptocheilos.
3) True Dypsis mananjarensis. Although only a seedling, it has great coloration and scaling on the petioles. he has smaller ones for sale at $2500!

- Can you tell I am a Dypsis guy? :)

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

No experience, and not enough yard space. My local palm dealer sells,
1. Beccariophoenix madgascariensis,
2. Beccariophoenix sp no window,
3.Beccariophoenix madgascariensis sp. "nova"

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Dave, who is it that you use? I am always looking for more places to lose money.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Probably once all these Beccariophoenix mature and start making flowers, several of them will be renamed, as it sure seems they are not the same species.

So far, I have purchased all of my less common palms at Tropical Vibe in Orange County near Newport Beach. Some palms like a small C. Hedyscepe are less expensive than Jungle M.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2006 3:02 PM

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Who is the owner of the place... sounds great to me.

The owner is John Mendoza. Check it out online at tropicalvibe.com They just had a sale too and have em every so often( father's day, etc.)

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

I have used John. Just be carefull. He is not the cheapest. He nailed me on a D. 'mahajanga". I got two others at RSN for $250 less and were bigger! He did the same thing on H. indica. I beleive him to be very honest, just a little high on some stuff. He and his dad are great people.

PB, that tree in Ron's yard was a Raphia farinifera. My mistake.

Also, apparently the Lemurophoenix is still alive.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2006 10:50 AM

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Yeah I know what you mean Webint. He gets some items from RSN so he has to sell them for more in order to make any $$.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2006 8:35 AM

RSN? what's that stand for?

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Sorry. Rancho Soledad Nursery. It is here in San Diego.
http://www.ranchosoledad.com/

Hollywood, CA(Zone 9b)

I went to RSN today to check it out after reading the above comments. Wow, was I impressed. They have acres of palms, cycads, aloes, etc. etc. The prices are reasonable and the people working there were some of the most helpful I have run into. I bought a fairly large Aloe sabaea and A. chabaudii but could have easily spent $$$$ if my truck wasn't already full. I will definitely be back.

Lonny

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

I agree they are all great people there.

Here is a tip though. Go on Saturdays and ask for Jesse - he only works then. He is a really nice older Mexican fellow. He is the guy the other employees all seem to ask plant questions about. And from what I have experienced, he always gives better prices. Almost like he is working for something to do and not to try and make a sale. He is in Mexico until mid January however. But it is worth the wait!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

I've dealt with Chris for many years and from the get go he seemed to kind of run the sales show there. He has always giver me better prices then the pricelist and is very knowledgeable. Just an all around great guy! He works all year most of the week so just ask for Chris.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.