1949 seeds

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

THREAD CLOSED....PLEASE GO TO NEW 1949 THREAD.

Here is a better scan of the unopened package.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2007 10:59 AM

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth

The back

Generous amount of seeds!

Close-up of the seeds. Now maybe Ron can enlighten us on what these may be. Would anyone like to join me on the challenge of trying to get these to germinate? I don't want to be the only one on this project, someone else might have some good ideas for germination. If you would like to try, I can send you some of the seeds,
Beth

closer

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

thats the year i was born

(Zone 7a)

Just want you to know I appreciate your offer, but I would really hate to mess up with those. C'mon, experts

Well phicks, the seeds still look plump and juicy!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

yup id like totry a couple

Anyone else?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i belive X would like to try

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i wonder what that dark one is on the pkg on the right?

I am thinking they are probably ipomoea nil since the package advertises they are "larger than ordinary". Other than that, I don't know what to expect.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Well,glad to see that you got about 100 seeds...they look like Ipomoea purpurea and/or the smaller sized Ipomoea nil that Thompson & Morgan provide in their 'Early Call Mix"...the flowers(should any sprout) would probably be about 3"...

From what I can see in the photo there seems to be about 8 to 13 seeds that look potentially(!) sproutable...so my guesstimate would be about a 20% germination rate at best,and perhaps 8% might be a more realistic percentage > but I'd consider yourself lucky if any sprout...most look 'kinda' dried out >especially around the edges...

I've sprouted Ipomoea tricolor that were in a paper container in a cool dry basement that were 20 years old...and I've sprouted Ipomoea nil that were in cold storage that were 40 years old,but I've never sprouted Ipomoea nil or Ipomoea purpurea that were 59 years old under less than optimal or otherwise 'unknown' conditions...

My main concern would be from pre-emergent type of "damping off" seedrot...therefore > useage of long-fibered sphagnum moss and air circulation for prevention(?)...Damping off preventative soaks can sometimes by slightly phyto-toxic and although the slight amount of phyto-toxicity would ordinarilly not be of much consequence >in very dormant seeds >it might be...the fungus/slimes may get to the seed(s) before they can germinate and develop immunity and the pre-emergent soaks may also be 'too' toxic for the old seeds...

Warm water > about 90 degrees,...I'd give 'em 75-80degrees during the day with 70-75 degrees at night...

The gibberelic acids that Deno has used are not the GA's most prevalent in Ipomoea seeds...GA's are not always stimulating to germination and can be inhibitory...

Just a few thoughts...

TTY,...

Ron

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeah .. throw a few my way if you like. What's a few more morning glory's added to the 15+ already growing in the greenhouse. (Come March I'm going to need a machete to get in there I think, Ron's Xenostegia is intimidating the brugmansia at the moment, I have to keep unwinding it from the poor things and back onto it's sticks. Ron, that thing grows at least and inch and a half a day!) I'm in the addy.

X

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I don't have a green house but I'd be willing to give it a go under lights if you want me to try.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh Yes!

My hand is up...
I'll be more than happy to give a few seeds a try.
How interesting this will be if anyone gets blooms.

Emma

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Beth, if your offer still stands, I'd be honored to join in the project. I'm wondering if it makes sense to slowly hydrate the seeds rather than the "nick and soak" routine? Seems like I've read that a slow wake up is good after a long sleep...but then Ron's concern raised about the damping off may lead on to try a speedier approach to minimize the vulnerable stages. Hydrogen peroxide is another thought...though that may be too harsh..

One thing is certain - this will be interesting to see unfold.

Arlan

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I`d love to try some.

I am taking down your names (those who are interested). I also contacted OSU to see if anyone would be interested in assisting us.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

OSU? the plant Police ? LOL

Haha! Actually we have a National Clonal Germplasm Repository run by the USDA here in Corvallis. I think they are more interested in heirloom agricultural species, though. I was hoping someone at Oregon State University in the Seed Lab might be interested.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

ill give a few a try

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

I think the OSU idea is a great one....and not just because its my alma mater! They may have some great advice if nothing else. - Arlan

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

Go, ARLAN, I am a BEAVER TOO! So is Beth and she works in Corvallis, the Horticultural epicenter of the PACIFIC NORTH WEST. That makes 3 Beaves on the mg thread!!!! Hooray!
Go Beavers.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

I'd be very interested to hear what they have to say about germinating Ipomoea nil or Ipomoea purpurea seeds that have been in 'general' non-specific storage for almost 60 years...

TTY,...

Ron

P.S. - tissue culture may be the way to go to insure living plants if there are living embryos in the seeds...

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

frank - that's a scary thought!! I sure do miss the PNW - though get back from time to time. - Arlan

The following person did email me back for more information about the seeds:

"Erica G. Bakker
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Horticulture
Center for Genome Research and Biocomputing Oregon State University"

Hopefully they will be interested in our project. I mailed out seeds to all of you that were interested and have retained 75 seeds for the university,
Beth

I`m exited about this and I sure wish you the best of luck with the seeds. It would be very neat to bring seeds this old back to life. Wish me luck with my green thumb trying them out!

I have harvested you some little surprises you can try for yourself as well. I`m going to put some secret mystery hybrids in there too just for fun. :)

This message was edited Dec 14, 2006 5:39 PM

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

I guess because the seeds are a mix....anything that grows will certainly be a snapshot of an old genepool with no preconceived standard to compare them to....other than three pictures on the package.

Should be fun! I'm sure I'll come up with a nice return package as well! - Arlan

Mine came today. They look good. I nicked one and I see what looks like what I`m supposed to see and planted it in a clean pot with new dirt and watered it. I have planted one seed and saving others for Spring 2007.

I`ll update within the week and hope it sprouts!

This message was edited Dec 15, 2006 4:43 PM

Well, after one day it appears the seed has hydrated and there is something inside there...hopefully a living baby plant curled up inside. I have the dirt evenly moist and not too soggy. It is in a good spot so this should sprout if it is alive.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

gardener2005 - that is encouraging(!) news...now we'll all be waiting for the report on whether there is still embryonic life(!) present...

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i got mine yesterday i nicked 2 and hydrated in a mix of warm water and mega grow they looked really good i planted mine in straight vermiculite

I`m praying for them. It is Sunday and I`m turning the big 40 :)

P.S.My husband is embarrassing me going around announcing my age to everyone in town... grrr!!! he he :)

This message was edited Dec 17, 2006 10:32 AM

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Happy 40th Gardener. 40 is a wonderful age.

Jackie

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Got my seeds today. I'll keep in touch on how things go.

X

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Happy birthday Gardner!

Thanks Beth, I received mine today as well...or yesterday I guess! Mine are safely logged in and tucked away....while I maybe learn the best approach for them!

Arlan

Melbourne, FL

If there are any left I would LOVE to try some. I grow from seed all the time. This sounds fascinating....

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've planted them! Now we just sit and wait!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.