Hand seeder

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Have any of you used a hand seeder? If so, was it useful? Here is one at Park Seeds: http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=6528&PrevMainPage=textsearchresults&scChannel=Text%20Search&SearchText=seeder&OfferCode=T1H. It is pricey for the job.

I have seen other designs for hand seed planters. I saw a different model in a store today, but it looked cheesy. I have never used one.

But I know when I start planting seeds I get frustrated when I drop a bunch in a clump, especially the tiny ones.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Devon: Try using an old salt shaker. It usually has 5-6 holes on the top. I also add a little fine white sand with the seeds, so when I shake them out, you can actually see something on your soil, otherwise some seeds just blend right in!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Great idea -- thanks!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

happy, I have one of the seeders. Was just using it to individually plant tomato seeds. Half the time it works great & half the time I throw it down & pick out the seeds with my fingernails. All in all, it's handy once in awhile.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Summerkid -- so many things are like that -- handy sometimes, but not enough to be dependable!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I tried to fashion one out of a small syringe and plastic IV catheters. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but will post after I do.

Karen

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow -- makes sense, but for me it'd be far easier to get a seed planter than to put my hands on a syringe or plastic IV catheter!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I work in the OR and am surrounded by such stuff.

Karen

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Figures! Makes sense to use what is handy. Now we know who to contact if we have health questions!!! Busman's holiday, and all that . . . .

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Happy,

www.seedman.com had three different sizes and I got the smallest one for smallest seeds. I haven't even opened it yet, but I could open it, read the sdirections and put some poppy seed in it and see if I think it works if you're still looking. LMK and I'll experiment tomorrow with heuchera and poppies.

Suzy

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow -- I'd LOVE if you'd do that -- but not tomorrow. Just whenever you would in the ordinary course. I'm not close to being ready to plant. Won't happen unitl January at the earliest -- probably February. I'm just getting ready! (And there are those pesky Holidays to get ready for in the interim.)

Okay -- I'm sort of curious myself. The only reason I'm even bringing it up it is because the cost is lot lower than the one in the link. Going by memory about $4-5 would be the most I would ever pay for one, so it has to be cheaper than that LOL!

Suzy

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree - the Parks Seeds one is very expensive, plus with postage added on top. . .. I was mulling it over during their sale.

Okay, I tried it with poppies and also primula -- both small seed.

I would say #1 it has a learning curve, so you should practice over a white piece of paper or a plate.

#2 I'd say, yes, it works

#3 I see a potential problem because it was somewhat difficult to get the excess seeds I didn't want to sow back out of the little device. They clung to the plastic and I had to use my fingers to slide them out. If somebody has 2 flats, one of red poppies and one of purple poppies I think it would be probable that the second kind one sowed would have a seed of the first one mixed in.

#4 it wasn't all that easy to get the seeds into the device...they need to roll down a paper envelope and into the tube. Most of my seeds are in plastic zips and they tend to cling to the sides and get caught in the zipper channels.

I would only use it for seeds I wanted to sow, say, 50 pots of. The rest would be easier to put on our finger tip and roll off in the cell or pot you wanted it to go into.

Suzy

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks. It is beginning to sound like more gadget than I need. I may just fold a piece of paper in half and coax the seeds down the middle. . . .

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I had good luck sowing tiny seeds like foxgloves and poppies with a pencil. Put the eraser end (clean) in the seeds and only a few will stick. Then just put the eraser end on the soil and twist a little, and the seeds should be where they're supposed to be. A small paintbrush would probably work, too.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What a great idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.