Map your favorite arboreta, public gardens & sources

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We recently started a new feature to help DG members find local parks, arboreta, public gardens, and garden centers and nurseries whever they visit or live around the world: http://davesgarden.com/go/

One of the important differences that will distinguish this feature from other general "trip advisor" or "yellow pages" sites is the input from each of us as gardeners.

Please add your feedback for the businesses you've patronized and the public gardens and parks you have visited. It helps other gardeners and the business or organization.

For smaller businesses and organizations, this type of "word of mouth" is their only form of advertising. And for businesses of any size, unsolicited testimonials are priceless - they can't buy that type of good will.

When you pull up a category or state, you can narrow it down by location or type, or plug in your ZIP and specify a radius (especially helpful if you're near a state line and want to see everything in your immediate area.)

If your favorite nursery or park/garden isn't listed yet, let us know and we'll add it, or start the entry and add what you know (we'll fill in the blanks.)

Metairie, LA

I will do that shortly. No time today but I really do want to respond to this thread.

Update: we now have nearly 4200 listings in Go Gardening, and 500-plus are parks/arboreta, public gardens or nature preserves/hiking trails.

Surely all our tree and shrub regulars have visited a *few* parks, arboreta, botanical gardens and/or nature preserves.....so please comment on whether they're worth visiting.

Not to mention putting in some plugs for your favorite nurseries, farmers' markets, etc. ;o)

PICKETT, WI(Zone 5a)

Terry:
I haven't had much time to get at the computer lately, but just started to look up some information about a certain tree. My surfing took me to this thread where I used the hyperlink. Your new feature is awesome and invaluable to both the new and inexperienced gardener. Good work!

Mary

Thanks for the kind words! And let me nudge (again ;o) everyone to please add your comments and reviews.

Creating the entries can be a bit technical and tedious, so we're happy to do that, and spare our members from that chore. (We're up to almost 6200 destinations in the US, and over 400 places in Canada!)

But once we create the entries, it's your individual, personal observations that make the difference between this being just another directory, and one that gives readers the real "scoop" on where to shop and visit.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

this message posted to the wrong thread....

This message was edited May 9, 2007 11:38 AM

???

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Hi Terry, I've just found this feature, it's wonderful, and have added a garden in France - hoping to add more both in France and the UK very soon.
It was no problem to add one not in the USA, but when browsing just the US map comes up and there is no hint that there are entries for other parts of the world. How will people find them? Probably some simple thing I'm overlooking, sorry to be asking.

Winston Salem, NC

Does anyone have advice regarding boxwoods? What is the problem when the tops turn yellowish orange. They look healthy otherwise.

I'm sorry for posting this here. It got in the wrong place. However, I will post something on the subject of public gardens asap.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2009 9:50 AM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Terry, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! I've just found that you all have added the rest of the maps that were needed for all of the gardens that I've entered.

Hopefully, now any members who have visited these places will post their photos and comments.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.