Cherry trees in containers

Hercules, CA

Has anyone grown cherry trees, like compact stella, in a 15 gal container? How did it work? Fruit production? Thanks.

Buffalo, NY

Ha, I just asked this question recently here and in container gardening ..... no one seemed to have done it.

I HAVE seen it done in Washington DC, at the Botanical Gardens there. It made me so happy! The container might have been a bit bigger than 15 gal, maybe 25. The tree was about 6-8 feet tall.

Needless to say, I'm trying it next year. I'm going to get a sweet cherry tree on dwarfing rootstock either from Raintree or Edible Landscaping.

I have a couple apple trees growing in 15 gallon containers. Neither have fruit on them yet, but I planted them Spring of 2006.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

A couple of years back, Stark Bros. offered several kinds of fruit trees in what they called "columnar" form - very short branches - that were designed to be grown in containers. Not being offered this year. Don't know how they performed.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

A couple of years back, Stark Bros. offered several kinds of fruit trees in what they called "columnar" form - very short branches - that were designed to be grown in containers. Not being offered this year. Don't know how they performed.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

They still offer them. I was thinking of getting some. Wanted to know if anyone had experience with them

BB

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I have an "ultra dwarf compact sweet cherry", which can be kept really small, in a square redwood box.
This tree is self fruitful.
I bought it online from this retailer;
www.pacificgroves.com
Stellas do super here in CA, although the rains can ruin life a bit in bloomtime.
Check it out, have fun!
Christie

Edit: THE TREE I BOUGHT FROM THEM CAME TO ME DEAD SO IT SHOWS NOW. ALL MY OTHER TREES HAVE BUDS EXCEPT THIS ONE.
WHEN I EMAILED THEM TO SAY THE TREE I BOUGHT WAS DEAD, THEY EMAILED ME THEY DID NOT SELL IT TO ME AND RETURNS AT THE SELLERS DISCRETION.
I ADDED THIS COMPANY TO THE WATCHDOG BECAUSE THEY ARE RUDE AND HAVE NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, THEY DO NO CARE ABOUT THEIR PRODUCT . THEY CARE ABOUT SALES AND MONEY. I AM OFFENDED AND LOST A TREE. DO NOT BUY HERE!!!
BY YOUR FRUIT TREES ELSEWHERE IF YOU WANT THEM TO LIVE.
I HAVE 40 FRUIT TREES AND THEY ARE ALL HAPPY AND BLOOMING, I DID NOT KILL IT.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2007 8:09 PM

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.