Jugs on the ground or elevated?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi again,

I had another thought on "what could go wrong" -- do these juge have to be elevated off the ground? Or can I just plop them on the ground? I was worried about the drainage holes getting stopped up and not freely draining.

I've heard people who have them on a deck, on a patio, in their carports (presumably on concrete) -- but I can't remember anybody just putting them on the ground, and that's what I want to do.

I could put them on 2 x 4s, or something, but I don't want to if I don't absolutely have to.

Suzy

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

There was a thread in container gardening or soil and composting that was mostly about soil, and how important it is for air to get to the roots. The concept of a 'perched water table' in cotainers was discussed at some length, and drainage and the lack of it.

Bottom line, I'm guessing the contact with the earth would actually help drainage, by drawing excess water with surface tension and / or a capillary effect.(my interpretation, anyway) I'll look for the thread and post a link if anyone wants to read it. It was pretty involved!

Here it is: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/527353/

Somewhere in this thread tapla talks about the different drainage requirements of container plants, and plants in the ground. He uses wicks of fabric to draw excess moisture from the bottom of containers, which, as I understood it, would replace the drainage that the earth provides, the earth itself acting as a giant wick. Kind of. I think.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2006 11:36 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Another drainage tip (sorry, I don't remember who suggested this) is to poke drainage holes at the bottom corners, just barely off the ground. These seem to facilitate drainage. Also, my milk jugs have a slightly elevated ridge along the bottom center which doesn't actually contact the ground. I poke holes there, too.

Putting containers on a table gives you the advantage of not having to bend over when checking or playing with your babies. But then they might be more prone to blow away. Last year most of mine were on the ground but corralled in some kind of box (with drainage holes). Last year many of mine were on the ground in half of an old dog crate.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Some flat containers on a table with netting to keep them from blowing away.

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

kqcrna: I love your stone table!

I had asked earlier (in another forum) about keeping some hosta plugs I have still in pots on wire shelving during the winter, and it was suggested to me that the tender plants would be too exposed on the shelving -- that they would in effect be several zones colder than my zone, and that because they are so small, they would be less able to handle the cold than a more mature plant. I wonder if that wouldn't apply to winter sowing as well, and that for that reason it might be better to keep them on the ground, at least in the case of seeds that are only marginally happy being winter sowed.

North Augusta, SC(Zone 8a)

I put a lot of my containers on wood pallets, but some do sit directly on the ground. We usually have a lot of rain in late winter and early spring and drainage can be a problem, so I always add a couple extra drainage holes on the sides of the containers about an inch away from the bottom.
Alice

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I suppose putting the containers on the ground would tend to keep temperatures steadier.... I like the holes on the side idea too. I know of folks propagating hardwood cuttings, and the containers they use look like swiss cheese when they're through drilling extra holes. One of them uses colanders from the dollar store for pots, and milk jugs on top.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I put holes in the bottom and sides of the gallon water jugs that I used. The containers were kept on the ground of my patio, because it was easy access to the back door. I had no problems and 98% of my containers germinated.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Suzy, do you have any dogs, children or loose balls that will crash into your containers? If you do, it helps to elevate them or put them in an area where they won't be trampled on.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Last year, I put mine on large pebbles. It was perfect for drainage. I used plastic gallon milk jugs with four holes punched in the bottoms.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I think this is most interesting. I am going to try some. What seeds did the best for you last year, kbaumle?
Teresa in KY

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I had about a 50% success rate. Those that did well for me were:

Spearmint
Coneflower
Delphinium 'Summer Blues'
Baptisia
Balsam
Lupine
Purple Liatris
Butterfly weed
Potentilla
Hollyhock

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Have you purchased from Crosman or Valueseeds?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, I purchased seeds from ValueSeeds last winter. I didn't wintersow most of those, though. I had some not do well, but most were great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.