Well, Isn't it time to do something?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Seems like there is something I should be doing -- are there seeds I should be sowing? What else is everybody doing? The forum seems sort of slow condsidering the time is almost upon us!

Suzy

Ripley, MS

I guess everyone has decorating and all that stuff on their minds. I will not sow anything until after Christmas here. Then it will all be a buzzing with everyone getting things done.
Sandra

Madison, WI

Illoquin,
Good reminder! My understanding was that any time after true winter sets in you can winter sow.
I put all my WS seeds in the fridge, just in case I fall behind with getting the containers ready.
Well, I have not started cutting the jugs yet ;)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm been collecting LOTS of plastic milk jugs, juice containers & large soda bottles. I have big bags of soil just waiting 'in the wings'. The winter soltice (December 21st) is just a few weeks away! I'm itching to start sowing those seeds!

Suzy: If you want to start sowing tree seeds or seeds that take a VERY long time to germinate (like Clematis), I'm sure you could start now.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

You could also get yourself organized with what seeds you will sow. Decide on whether you will keep any records; excel, notebook, access etc. Make sure you have enough soil. I usually start the first week of January.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I've been gathering my containers too. This will be my first year of WS'ing. I've already bought a lot of seeds.

Here's something that's been bugging me: I know that as the weather warms up, we are supposed to gradually enlarge the transpiration holes in our containers, yes? Well, how is that done when you are using the plastic milk/water bottles? It's not that easy to cut slits in plastic bottles (I assume) without disturbing the seedings, as one might be able to do with a baggie or saran wrap. Or do you just take off the top half of the plastic bottle one day, all at once?

Another question: Are there some seeds that shouldn't be sown late Dec/early Jan.? I'm wondering if we should stagger WS'ing times depending on the type of seed.

Any advice is welcomed!
Thanks!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Yea I am getting excited! I have a bunch of seeds that I harvested and I am expected some from the seed swap any day. I did prep 9 milk jugs...but I gave them away. My MIL was excited by my winter sowing successes and wanted to try it herself. She said that she did not drink many gallons of milk and the milk that she buys comes is solid white jugs. I should also have plenty of seeds handy to give her when I see her again around Christmas.

- Brent

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

jujucaps: When prepping each milk jug or 2 liter pop bottle I cut slits around the "shoulder". When it's time to enlarge holes that makes it easier.

Karen

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm going the full Baggie route on this, my inaugural attempt at wintersowing. And plan to begin on Dec. 21st, being the solstice. Not because of temperature but because of increasing light.

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

I've collected my jugs....milk and those big gallon fruit punch jugs. I've got to pick up more soil and still need to amend my jugs. I was aiming for the 21st but it may be after Christmas before I get to do my thing since it's so hectic here.

I have a couple clematis seeds but I was thinking I needed to do those indoors and couldn't winter sow, anybody know for sure ??

~Julie =0)

North Augusta, SC(Zone 8a)

I've WS'd many different clematis.
I use a large pair of kitchen shears to cut away sections of the milk jugs and soda bottles, a little at the time, before removing the entire top in the spring.
Alice

Thanks, Karen and Alice.
I'm excited to get started. Every time I look at a product in the grocery store these days, I find myself evaluating whether the *container* is WS'ing-worthy. LOL

North Augusta, SC(Zone 8a)

juju,
I know exactly what you mean.
I find myself being 'forced' to buy even more cupcakes from the supermarket bakery, because the containers works so well.
It's an awful addiction....the cupcakes, not the WS'ing.
Alice

A very warm welcome to all the new wintersowers on this forum! The momentum will be growing & growing (sorry for the pun-couldn't help myself) as December 21st gets closer & closer!

Jujucaps you have a lot of good questions. Yes, you can easily enlarge the openings on your plastic containers as your seedlings grow. I'm sure you have sharp pointed scissors around your house. You can also use other instruments too. I like using an ice pick as well for making drainage holes! I'm sure other WSers will chime in with their favorites. There are lots of options & you choose the best or easiest ones for you to use.You'll be taking off the top half of the plastic containers as your seedlings grow bigger. If you look back at the older threads, they will give your great information & visuals. Plus, you'll see the ones that burst out of their containers all by themselves!

Yes, you start with your hardiest seeds (trees, some shrubs) and perennials that need a long time to germinate. Clematis is an example of a perennial vine that takes more than one growing season to germinate. That's why this one needs patience and not to throw out the container because it hasn't germinated. Instead, leave it OUTSIDE (don't bring your WS containers indoors) and let it go through another season of cold & warm temps. Also, some WS'ers remove the 'tail' of the Clematis seed to aid in its germination. You'll need to do a bit of research on the Web, depending on which seeds you choose to wintersow.

Seeds that are not as hardy should be sown later in the season. The timing will change depending on where you live. I sow my annuals in March and my tropicals in April/May. It really depends each year on the type of weather we're having.

Alice, you're Soooo bad, but I certainly can understand your craving for those delicious cupcakes! :~)

This message was edited Dec 6, 2006 2:36 PM

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I sow my hardy perennials/annuals in January/Feb. March/April I start my tender annuals and veggies. It worked for me last year. I can't wait for this year! I start in January as December is way too hectic!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

My boyfriend, who owns my house so is technically my landlord, would FREAK if I filled the driveway with a wacky array of plastic containers, so I'm opting for the gallon Ziploc option featured on www.wintersown.org

With 4 snips of the scissors on the layered Ziplocs, 50 "containers" are ready to go ...

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I just got in some crocus bulbs a few days ago, got those potted up tonight, waiting for the snow we are suppose to get tonight and tomorrow... yuck!

I got some magnolia seeds I am getting ready to put in some sand and peat mix and pop them in the fridge... Per the instructions I received :o)

Boy it feels good to play in the dirt again rofl

Can't believe this year is almost over and a New One is upon us... Then we get to play in somemore dirt :o) I have got about 2/3's of my containers ready, keep getting more and more everyday. I just about have enough.

summerkid, I am going to do the zip baggies along with the jugs :o)

Connie

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Newbie here. I have the jugs and baggies all ready to go and am chomping at the bit. I'm a little confused about when I should be starting all my various seeds in this zone (hard to say which zone I'm in because there are so many micro-climates here in Cambria). For instance, supposedly we've had frost warnings in the past week and up here on the hill, protected by the Monterey Pines, it didn't reach much below 38 degrees, if that. The winter rains seem to be late this year too. My instinct tells me to wait until the rain starts and the temps drop, but it's hard to do. Anybody else in a similar zone who has experience with WSing?

Shirley and Anita - Thanks for the helpful information!

Summerkid - I think I will try some Ziplocs too. I'm glad you called attention to the wintersowing website, because it contains a lot of updated information since the last time I reviewed it. I got some new container ideas.

And if all else fails, I will adopt the Alice/Cupcake method!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Yet another method. Note I am in zone 4.
1. I cut the top half off of the milk and juice containers no covers.
2. Put holes in the bottom and on the sides just as the bottle curves up This is just in case there is a heavy storm
3. After the seeds are in I duct tape them closed and out they go. I don't start until Mid January.
4. If the seedlings are up at least 2/3 inch and the weather is great I take the tape off and give them fresh . air and put the top back on.
5. When the seedlings get to tall for the jugs, I take the top off.

I also spend a lot of time looking and counting and getting all excited. I hate it when I write down a date and the first 3 seedlings are showing and the next day only 2 show.

Pauline

You're most welcome, jujucaps.

summerkid: This link may help you with wintersowing in Ziploc baggies. http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Winter_Sowing_in_a_Baggie.html

zenpotter: Remember the saying 'only the strong survive', that's why some of your seedlings grow into strong hardy plants and others cease to exist.

stellapathic: I don't know if this link will help http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/It_Doesnt_Snow_Here.html but I would try to sow your containers with hardy seeds when the temperatures will be at their lowest in your growing area & when rainfall is more abundant, otherwise you'll need to provide your containers with moisture. Maybe some gardeners who live in your growing zones will be of more help.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I just put all my lily bulblets to bed in my fridge this week and I'm working on preparing my WS containers. 2 bags down, too many to count to go. My next task will be to track down all the culture info on all the seeds I've received trading. In January, I plan to put out a few Mirabilis jalapa, but I won't get real serious about sowing until mid-February.

My mantra will be, 'Don't go overboard, don't go overboard, don't go overboard.'

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Stellapathic: This is the first year i'm trying WS also. I'm going with 1/2 the ziploc version and half in milk jugs. We also have very mild winters so I'm forcing myself to wait til closer to the end of this month. Of course, that hasn't stopped me from getting the containers ready. I have to do SOMEthing!! :)
Deb

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Deb, I think it is too early. It has been cold here, but the temperatures are going to be in the mid 40's and I worry that the seeds will start to grow and then get frozen out. With the change in climate I am going to wait until we get into deep winter just like beaker. Why take chances. I will use her mantra as well.

Beaker are you going to make it to the seed exchange? Check out the other web site if you haven't seen the information about it.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Haven't heard about it,Zen. I'm not a member of the other site,but pleae dmail me a link and if I can make it, I do have lotz of seed for trade.

York, PA

Great info on this thread!

Shirley1md, I have several clematis varieties to sow. Should I get them done now? Glad you mentioned they take 2 seasons... I'm sure they would have been dumped by the end of the summer otherwise. Thanks!

Joanne

Joanne,

Patience is the key because some Clematis varieties take longer to sow than others . Since Dec. 21st is only about 1 week away, I would wait just a little bit longer to celebrate the Winter Soltice with a special seed sowing. If you want to sow Clematis seeds in celebration that would be wonderful, or you may choose to refer to the Wintersown website and sow seeds of remberance, plants for birds & butterflies, tree seeds or take a 'leap of faith' and sow seeds that grow in a warmer growing zone. http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Solstice_Celebration.html It's totally up to you!

York, PA

Thanks Shirley1md, I have my winter solstice list all ready to go :)

Joanne

Excellent! Just 1 week away!!

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Found a great link for sprouting time versus temperature at
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

Of course none f this should really matter with winter sowing, but I figured y'all might be interested. I also recenlty ran across timing tables for all kinds of annuals and perennials recently and will post that link as soon as I find it again. Pages and pages of helpful info I actually printed out!

carol

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I started a new thread for the Seed Germination Database.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/678249/
carol

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I just checked the long-range forecast for our area and it's all 60's day and 40s night (only one night in the next ten below 40!). Regardless, I'm sowing the end of this week and will hope for the best! Hopefully the short days will be a "hint' to the seeds not to get ahead of themselves! :)

Vienna, ON(Zone 5b)

I've been building a WS cold frame-- a big one-- to keep the snow, rain and critters off the seedlings. If I can build this, I can build a greenhouse, I'm sure of it. Some photos of this completely overkill but fun project (click for larger images)

Oops. HTML doesn't work. You can see the photos here:

http://www.mygreengarden.ca/gardengallery2/2006/06-12-walk-in-coldframe.jpg

http://www.mygreengarden.ca/gardengallery2/2006/06-12-coldframe2.jpg

http://www.mygreengarden.ca/gardengallery2/2006/06-12-coldframe3.jpg

This message was edited Dec 19, 2006 3:26 PM

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Nice job on the cold frame!

~Sunny

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great site, Bev. You have alot of intersting information!!!!
:) Donna

Bev: You've done a lot of hard work on your cold frame & it will really pay off! Love those multiple layers of shelves for all your containers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.