H. striatum: Gotta love those species!

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

This bulb, approx. 10" in circumference, bloomed in October. It's putting up another scape. It also bloomed in the summer. What's not to love about that?

This picture was taken Dec.1.

Thumbnail by raydio

This pic was taken Dec.4

Thumbnail by raydio

Here is an even smaller striatum bulb, sending up its first scape while only 6" in circumference.

You can see just the tip of the bud to the right of the leftmost leaf.

The large reddened split is where I cut the bulb down the side and through the basal plate to see how it would respond to this method of producing new bulblets, not that this prolific offsetter needs it. The reddening is its natural response to the injury.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2006 11:24 AM

Thumbnail by raydio

A closer look at the bud tip in the smaller bulb. I had to use available light (obviously on the weak side), as the flash at such a close range washed the whole thing out.

Thumbnail by raydio

H striatum flowering in a north window.

Thumbnail by raydio
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good color too Robert--so hard to get a good orange/apricot in anything but a hybrid glad or a tulip. Or a canna--but for some reason I really don't consider canna's a bulb; I know they are--I just don't like them. =)

This message was edited Dec 4, 2006 2:16 PM

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

It's earning it's keep! I had to reread, I though for a start you had said 'diameter' of 10"! Will you leave the offsets on, or is it best to remove them when bigger.

Every time you post your hipps I run off and start checking them all out! Such a pretty flower with it's painted in yellow green throat.........

Mobile, AL

Whew!

I do love it. How hardy is it? Shall I give it a try?

Hint! Hint!

I love that orange color too! Outdoors it just draws you to it and I never tire of looking at it, the striations, the yellowy-green stripe and the little curl the tepals make. I'm going to be trying some breeding with striatum to see if I can expand the color range into the peachy-pinky-salmony range. And oh, if a double happened along.......

Striatum seems to do alright in a clump as long as there is sufficient space for each bulb and offset to grow a good root system and not be so crowded topside that they start forcing each other above the soil. I'd like to have a really full *large*pot-full. They are truly gorgeous when multiple bulbs bloom while fully in leaf. So, I'll be trying them and observing their growth and as long as the bulbs are all growing, I'll leave them together, but will open up a clump and replant them all in a roomier pot if they seem to be slowing down.

Look at this wonderful pot-full from gemini_sage:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/498619/

Pretty crowded-looking, but what a show!

I know there are several DGers that have grown striatum and I hope they'll chime in here with their experience and pictures so we can see them in different-sized clumps and pots and so on.

From what I have read, striatum and puniceum are fairly cold hardy but resent being cold and wet in the winter, and the bulbs tend to rot. So, if they could be grown under an eaves, they'd likely survive in zone 9. I also read that if they get cut down by hard frosts in a severe winter, they may not bloom as well the following season.

One thing that makes me not even want to try is their resistance to going dormant at all. I have some bulbs in *VERY* poor light that have been without water for weeks now and they are still green! Some that did lose their foliage soon started putting up new leaves without ever being watered! Amazing! So I can see that interrupting striatums "evergreen-ness" might not be such a good thing. That is, it isn't something I personally want to do. The large-flowered hybrids seem to take naturally to declining light, cooler temperatures and less moisture and welcome dormancy much more readily, and I *will* be trying some of those outdoors this next winter.

HSTeacher, we'll talk........

Robert.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yum, an orange amaryllis! What could be nicer? Gotta have this one.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Robert,
Is this from the Grandma Dora bulbs or do you have more???

Hey Booji~

No these are the ones I got from the woman I did the re-potting for, but to me they are the same selection or strain or whatever as 'Grandma Dora'. They're coming along but still smallish. Maybe by next fall I'll see them bloom. Then I can compare more closely, but AFAIK, Grandma Dora has a twin sister in North Carolina.

Robert.

Ha! Wonder if dora knew her. I've seen lots of posts about unnamed hipps that look like Grandma Dora and all the posts are from NYC. This is the first southern one. They must have been quite popular at one point.

Boojum~

You just never know!

I'm going to contact the person who originally had "Dora's NC sister" (seen here) and find out about it. Who knows, she may be from New York, and her bulb from the same line everyone has there.....

I'll share her story when I've spoken to her.

Robert.

Wouldn't that be funny if she was from NYC!! Looking forward to any info.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

raydio, I was more than taken with your H striatum, and will be on a mission to find a source. Having seen Boojum's 'Grandma Dora' and now this one, I am the hunt. I am in Fla right now and am about to start looking, though the chances are small, but perhaps I'll find something else to drag home on Tues. Patti

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

OMG this is absolutely perfect for my orange/peach/melon bed. must have, must have. very nice, robert

Patti, if you're going to order bulbs from Telos in the spring they have it listed

http://www.telosrarebulbs.com/SAmerican2.html

Telos is a good company too--she is an IBS member also.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wallaby1, Thanks for the site. I have filled out an order to send in the morning for a spring shipment. I couldn't resist a couple of gladiolus and another Hippeastrum blossfeldiae Beautiful tangerine-orange flowers with a lemon yellow star in the center. Patti

Hi Patti,
I just picked out a bunch of glads, too. And a moraea villosa. Love to see that hipp when it blooms! How was FL?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is another source for unusually tropical hippeastrum seed www.brazilplants.com

I have ordered seeds and it takes about 2 months to get them, but, living in Florida it is hard to find a source for unusual tropical bulbs.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2006 6:25 AM

This message was edited Dec 11, 2006 6:26 AM

This message was edited Dec 11, 2006 6:27 AM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have to check the site every few months because his seed is not always available, very seasonal.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Hi Dale,

Is this the first time you have ordered from him? I would be interested to know what his prices are, and how he takes payment.

Patti and boojum, great to see you took the plunge!

They do ship overseas but the costs are prohibitive, such a shame as they do have unusual plants and I think the prices are reasonable.

Some of them I can grow from seed from silverhill, but that takes time! Spiloxene capensis I fell for and have bought the seed.

We were discussing bulbs under crowded conditions in pots. See http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/585967/ (the class for these is "miniature" or "gracilis" (graceful) ) for a big full pot of 'Pamela'.

Looks like the bulbs are doing well enough with all the ones with scapes. Couldn't say how many offsets there are and how well they are developing in the pot as far as being held back or not. Maybe the poster could fill us in. 'Pamela' is a vigorous grower, to be sure.

In nature when clumps develop where bulbs form on top of others, eventually during dormancy some will fall off, possibly rolling down hill to restart in a nearby place, widening the colony. It depends on how well they are rooted in. If the roots dry out enough, the weight of the bulb plus any mechanical force (and animal nosing around the clump, for example) will set the bulb off to the side to root in wherever it lands.

Robert.

Dale said (about the seeds from http://www.brazilplants.com/ ) :
"I have ordered seeds and it takes about 2 months to get them, but, living in Florida it is hard to find a source for unusual tropical bulbs."

I had to re-check this post, to be sure you didn't say two weeks, cause that's how long it took to get my seeds. I ordered on Dec.11th and got them today, the 26th, even with the Christmas deluge of mail and yesterday off for the PO.

Robert.

I bet you are excited Robert! Thanks for the reminder, I see he has updated the site now with Eithea blumenavia, Hipp vittatum and Hipp morelianum looks interesting, as well as papilio of course. I willhave to have a better look now!

What seeds did you get?

I ordered mine on Dec. 15th. Hope I get them as soon as you did, Robert. I bought:
h. vittatum
h. calyptratum
h. morelianum
cypella plumbea
neomarica sabini
trimezia rupestris
Any tricks to propagating? I had good luck with striatum seeds, but that was a while ago and I am not a great seed propagator. LOL.

I am excited but must wait till spring to start them. As far as I know now, none of them require any special treatment, but I am going to check for more info on aulicum (as it is usually epiphytic) and morelianum cause I don't know much about it.

Here's what I got:

1. Hippeastrum aulicum
2. H. blossfeldiae
3. H. morelianum
4. H puniceum
5. H. striatum
6. H.striatum var 'Saltão'
7. H. vittatum

I also bought some bulbs on eBay: H. vittatum, roseaum (sic?), stylosum, and Hippeastrelia 'Durga Pradhan' which is already sending out fresh new roots.

Thank-you Santa for the $$!

Robert.

I like the look of Trimezia martii, not one I'm familiar with, T. rupestris isn't on there now.

H. blossfeldiae is imposing, I knew you would go for that one Robert, I'm tempted myself!

I have read on PBS I think you can germinate Hipp seeds floated on water, but I think I would put them on the surface of compost in a propogator at 68-72F .

Neomarica I would think would do well in spring in a greenhouse with temperature fluctuations. I was googling and found an old DG 2001 news letter

http://davesgarden.com/nl.php?date=2001-10-06

Well, I had to get all the species he had and will be checking back for new additions regularly. Mauro had emailed me when I first inquired and had told me about the two additions that hadn't been added to the page, so I added the vittatum. I hope he has the stylosum available soon. The pic on his site shows a wonderful specimen!

I'm thinking of starting them on water and then transferring to potting mix. Don't have a propagator (yet) but I might get some heating cables.....there's only so much room on top of the the machines.......

I think I'll mix up something special for the aulicum seedlings, maybe with some unmilled sphagnum for an airier substrate.

There's a ssp of blossfeldiae that "always" (it is written) has six blossoms per umbel. Would love to find that one!

If I find out anything of note regarding the species, Boojum, I'll let you know. I do add hydrogen peroxide to the water and find it helps and I change the water every few days. Having them warm and in some good light has worked for me in the past.

I wonder about the best time to start aulicum, though, as it is a winter grower/bloomer in nature. Following that, it would seem that winter-early spring would be the right time, yes?

R.

Robert.

That is generally the time to grow winter growing species seeds, of course if in a very cold winter area compared to the natural habitat I don't think it hurts to leave it until early spring.

I did find some vague info on neomarica

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/pbs/2004-November/019914.html

Wallaby--Alberto Castillo is not a vague source.=)

What I meant here was the specific info on growing Neomaric was perhaps vague, as the growing instructions at the top refer to all those below and thus I wasn't sure if it was specific enough to state it was absolutely correct for Neomarica. It's the extra typing where the meaning can get lost and I didn't take the step to do it, no matter.

The winter show continues.

Thumbnail by raydio

Ah!

Thumbnail by raydio

The red markings on this blossom were especially nice. Wish my cam did them justice.

Thumbnail by raydio
Mobile, AL

Nice!!!!

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Oh Robert this is just exquisite!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.