Refrigerating Seeds - Which ones? How long?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Anybody know the rules about what seeds can be put in the fridge until used? And perhaps how long? I tend to put all seeds from one year into the fridge for the next year. I haven't been using seeds long enough to know if some should not go into the fridge. I'd hate to ruine the wide selection I have for planting next spring. I do know for a fact that daylily seeds need to be refridgerated between seasons. And I'm must assuming the same with the rest, but that may not be the right thing to do. So, anybody know?

Thanks,
Donna

Hollywood, FL(Zone 10b)

I've wondered the same thing, Donna! I'm going to have to watch this thread. I do know that tropicals shouldn't be refrigerated. I've read from another member that Hollyhocks can and/or should be refrigerated. Someone else has mentioned that they refrigerate most of their seeds (annuals, perennials) for longer viability... as for whether you *need* to put most seeds in the fridge in order to get germination, I doubt it. I've seen most people say that they just leave their seeds in a cool dark place.

(Notice how most of my post is hearsay... still, I hope it is correct!)
Hoping to hear reports from more people,
~Gina :)

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I keep all of my seeds (veggies, flowers, herbs) in a fridge. I use tightly sealed containers with silica gel dessicant to keep them dry. I've never had a problem with any of them not germinating.

I should note, however, that all of my seeds are Zone 7/8, so the seeds would encounter cold weather in nature.

Well, I haven't found the exact answers, but I have found some interesting info:

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html

http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedpods.html

http://plantphys.info/seedg/seed.html

http://earthnotes.tripod.com/seeds.htm

I think what I'm finding is that it depends on the coat of the seed? The thicker the coating, the more it needs stratification (refridgeration). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Donna

johnsonjrbm,

Thanks for your input! I put my seeds in the same types of containers and add rice to absorb any residual moisture. I have no idea what is tropical and what is not. I have so many seeds it would take a lot of work to research each one to find out. Not an impossible task, but a lot of work. I think I have learned to never put Gerbera Daisy seeds in the fridge! They are not germinating. No big loss because I can get more.

Donna

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

DonnaA2Z - You 're welcome!

If you decide to switch to silica gel, you can purchase at Michael's, the crafts store. I believe they 're a national chain. They sell it for drying flowers. It's easy to re-dry and re-use.

Of course, you get to add the moistened rice to the worm bin or compost pile, so there's no real loss there!

johnsonjrbm,

Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I see the little packets in everything. I guess I could just start collecting them.

To date, I've not had a problem with moisture in the fridge or elsewhere. The rice is still hard as a rock so I just reuse it. No moisture, no mold.

Thanks,
Donna

Orange Park, FL

Donna,
Using the rice as a dessicant is ideal. It's very cheap. AND, it is re-usable as a dessicant. No need to throw it out. Every couple of months, just spread it out on a cookie sheet, stick it in the oven at the lowest possible setting, and leave it for a couple of hours. Any moisture that may have been absorbed by the rice will be "cooked out", and the rice will be good as new.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

As blmlb (nice palidrome) mentions, rice does have a lot of advantages. One reason I use silica gel is that it changes color from blue to purple to pink as it absorbs moisture, so I have a pretty good idea about when to regenerate it.

Olney Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Occasionally the old fridge gets carried away and starts to freeze stuff, how would this affect the seeds. I'm figuring on having a lot of seeds left over once I get going since I don't have the space to plant a whole packet of seeds, so have been wondering on how to store them.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

No more calls - We have a winner!

Here's a link to an Oregon State University Guide to collecting and storing seeds that gives general guidelines to viability after storage.

http://standeyo.com/News_Files/Garden_Seeds/seed.saving.pdf

I received the reference in a seed shipment from Victory Seeds. (My first purchase from them; I'll rate them in GW after harvest next year).

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hiya,
Seed storage is different for each seed. So really everyone can be correct here. Some seeds can last for hundreds of years Like lotus, others only a short time like (the name has gone from my mind its a tree with heart shaped leaves) anyway.....
There are two reasons for putting seeds in the fridge

Firstly to start the germination process, like Alliums actually germinate better in the fridge than elsewhere. The cold along with being wet makes them think its spring. This really works better for plants that would have this in nature. usually they come from places with short seasons so need to get off to a quick start in spring.

Secondly the fridge can help expand the life span of some seeds the same way we put food in the fridge. The seeds have to be kept dry (be very carefull with silica gel's as this can dry them out to much) Seeds do need a small amount of water inside them to survive. Remember they are still living just dormant! Just as animals hibernate seeds still need fresh air moisture and the right temperature.

I store all my seeds after air drying in plastic ziploc bags and keep them in the fridge, it is set to about +5oc be carefull not to freeze seeds as this will kill some seed.

When removing from the fridge ensure you leave them to get to room temp before opening the box or packets. As condensation will rot the seed if opened straight away.

If the fridge is no possible, place somewhere dark, cool and of an even temperature.

90% of most seeds don't need such delicate treatment so i'm sure someone will answer saying that they never use the fridge and everything allways grows.

Hope that helps

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Can any of you tell me how long to keep closed bottle gentian seeds in the fridge after they are collected in the fall? Should I put some rice in the ziplock with them and keep them until spring? Or should I plant them immediately after collecting them in the fall? If so, do you just spread them on top of the ground or "plant" them? I've had no luck propagating my gentian in past years, but haven't tried keeping them in the fridge. I am in New Hampshire in zone 5. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.