'Oscar' is blooming.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I bought a new bulb this fall, one I had never heard of. I have 'Red Lion', but lost all but a couple small offsets this summer due to sudden rotting, so I got yet another solid red so I could enjoy it while the baby lions grow up.

I'm glad I did! The first scape now has six blooms all open today!

Thumbnail by raydio

The second scape has at least five buds in it.

I also like the way the little spathe-like thingies in the umbel are red. One of them looks like a tiny thin petal.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2006 3:29 PM

Thumbnail by raydio

Just to show you how the flash adds a bit of orange, this is a natural low-light shot.

It's still not as orange-looking as in the pic--that's just an artifact of the camera I'm using........

This message was edited Nov 29, 2006 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by raydio
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

very nice, thanks for sharing and making us all sooooo jealous !

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Uh-huh! Beautiful flowers Robert.

My pleasure! (Tee-hee)

The foliage came up with the scape and is as tall as the flowers. It also drips nectar. I tried to get a good pic, but haven't yet gotten a really clear one.

If you look midway along the curve of the beard tepal, you can see a drop.

R.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2006 5:45 PM

Thumbnail by raydio
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

ahhh

This one has "diamond dust" on it and it makes a nifty halo around the throat.

Thumbnail by raydio
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

That one deserves an Oscar!

I love the sheen on it, the dark outlined throat, the colour, the huge blossoms, and TWO SCAPES LOADED with flowers!!!!!

Every cloud has a silver lining...

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Robert that is beautiful; but inquiring minds gotta know, haven't you got that bulb paper trained to bloom right on Christmas day yet? If anyone could do it, I know you could! =)

Well, Deb, this one already had gone through its "basic training" with the Dutch and was already putting up a scape in the bulb bin since the shop is kept well over 70F.

But next year, I think I might be able to do something!

Maybe we should plan on some sort of "Who's got the best Christmas show of a bulb grown for over 1 year at it's present location" or something? Hunh? Hunh?

Robert.

yep--and the grand prize could be a year of no freezing temp's at your house and/or no squirrel damage for one year either....
=)

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

What a fantastic display!

Deb~

Do you have a lot of trouble with squirrels bothering your Hippis?

So far, the ones here have ignored them. They much prefer tropical Hibiscus blossoms.

Robert.

No--I just put that prize in for the folks who do Robert. I'm out on the "prairie" and really seldom see a squirrel--now oppossums are another story. I've had them claw up several different Lycoris, Zeph, and Habranthus bulbs and leave them scattered across the ground (not eat them). I think they are attracted to the smell of several of the organic fertilizers I use--esp. the ones I use around the Lycoris and Louisiana Iris to increase soil acidity.

At my house, a grand prize of a year without voles and chipmunks would be great!

Oscar is drooling sweet nectar all over himself, awash with his own fabulousness.

Thumbnail by raydio

The blooms on the second scape will open before the first has faded.

Six buds in the second scape too!

This message was edited Dec 1, 2006 12:59 PM

Thumbnail by raydio

Love those little "bractoids".

Thumbnail by raydio

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.