Visitors to My Garden

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

These parrots come to my garden this time each year
to feast on the fruit from the Benjaminus.

Thumbnail by ginger749

This is a young fruit of what they are after.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Same fruit 6 days later.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Instead of doing a search on what a Benjaminus is, why don't you tell me what it is? That's too cool, a parrot. I see them in a pet store!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

good picture ..your parrots are beautiful.How lucky you are to have such visitors!

Quoting:
Instead of doing a search on what a Benjaminus is, why don't you tell me what it is?

It`s a ficus. *ficus benjaminus.*

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I love parrots!! I only get to see them in pets stores and homes though. At least you have them in the wild.

They get fruit? I never knew that. I had one as a house plant or house tree, the thing was huge, but no fruit. In my parents office building they have this long planting bed inside. It was full of them. They were 2 stories tall and no fruit. I learn something new every day. Thanks ginger!

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

ficus bejaminus, or ficus benjamina?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_benjamina

And, I think that the parrot is a GREATER, MEDIUM or LESSER SULPHUR CRESTED COCKATOO???

Stelco
You are right. ficus benjamina.

Now thats cleared up.
I haven`t learnt how to HYPERLINK yet.
Is that hard ?

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

ginger,

Na, simple! Just paste your link and Dave makes it a "magic" HYPERLINK.

I am jealous. Your birds are better than my birds and I'm a bird guy.

Mark

Here are 2 birds high up a silky oak tree before coming down for a feed.
as for *GREATER, MEDIUM or LESSER *
I have never heard these terms used about
the SULPHUR CRESTED COCKATOO.
Your interest in birds ? All kinds or just parrots ?

This message was edited Nov 29, 2006 11:41 PM

Thumbnail by ginger749
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

All kinds, ginger. There are only two birds that I don't like.

This is my Website:
www.michiganmartins.com

You gotta take the good with the bad.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Boa constrictor? I like snakes, too!

Looks like s/he just ate something? Is that in your yard too ginger?

terryr
Yes, Its at the base of one of my triangular palms.

Do much walking around in bare feet there :o) (learned if I don't insert smilie faces people don't get that it's humor. You get humor don't you ginger?)? I'm hopping on the plane with Equil.....not fair she gets to enjoy and I don't, shhhh..... I'll stow away in her luggage and she'll never know......

terryr
I`m a bit old fashioned .
I always wear shoes in the garden.
I joke all the time, so I know where you are coming from.
No need fo smileys for moi.

Being old fashioned is good! Especially when you have big ole snakes like you have. I'm glad you get the humor as intended........life can be quite boring without any!

I quit walking barefoot in my yard because I was always getting stung by bees or I would step in a pile of dog poop from my neighbor's dogs. And we're not talking little piles. We're talking cow pie size.

Ouch and ick.

This fella was 3 inches long.
But he was behind the retaining wall.
Eating the timber.

Thumbnail by ginger749

And what kind of fella is that? Good grief, he looks like he's wearing armor!

Is that some kind of crab? Or a bug? Whatever he is he's ugly.

Taa muchly Stelco
You saved moi the trouble.
I was buisy at http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/artisans/all/
Helping someone else out.

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

My pleasure!

I'm not an artist. But know a little bit about critters. What kind of snake was that? I guessed Boa, but couldn't even see the head.

Check this out.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=carpet+snake&meta=
It is endemic to our area.

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Ginger. A constrictor, at least I was close. I'd be happy with them, but they wouldn't like the weather here! This was taken today and winter is just getting started.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2006 8:00 PM

Thumbnail by Stelco

Oh oh oh! I voted for that Rhino Beetle in the photo contest! He's magnificent! Man that bug is soooooooo cool!

Equil, you're starting to freak me out. I can hear you talk when I read your writing......:o)

Ginger, hubby wants to know what you do with that bug, get out a rifle? Seriously, bugs don't bother me. I've really never met one that did....until I took a look at that thing and I have to say, he gives me the heebie jeebies. Even had to get out a ruler to see just how big 3 inches would really be, not just by guesstimating. We've got 18 inches of snow outside. Batteries are dead on my camera, or I'd share.

Hi terryr
Good luck with the snow.
The beetle is not so bad. his nippers at the front
can`t meet. His claim to fame is that
he can lift 750 times his own weight!!!
Can you begin to imagine that?
An elephant is strong , but can only lift about 2 or 3 tons.
He also makes a loud hiiissing sound when angry. *Chilling.*

It's not too bad ginger, the snow I mean. There's just so much of it, my town can't get it all scooped and into another truck to take away. Too much to just push aside. So we have snow medians, that I can't see over, and turn lanes aren't really turn lanes anymore since they're covered with snow. Could be worse, like the snow storm we had winter of 78...now that was bad. We did drive to a town about 20 miles away yesterday afternoon. I knew I should of taken the interstate the whole way. The highway I took instead had a couple spots where it was down to one lane, making for some interesting driving. Counted 5 vehicles and 1 semi in the median once I did get onto the interstate.

Nope, can't even begin to imagine that beetle lifting that much. That would sure be a sight to see! He kind of looks like being angry would be just his usual self. When you say he eats timber, do you mean he goes after trees? Live trees? What about a house and all the wood in it? Are they interested in that too?

Forgot....my husband is interested in the kind of camera you're using to capture such good close ups?

Terry

Hi terryr
#1 He only eats rotting wood under ground.
But not in his present form, UG he is more of a larve.
As you see him now. Thats his formal dress.
He`s now out looking for a bit of ROMANCE.
Horizontal Dancing. As we call it.

#2 The camera is a NIKON COOLPIX 995.
If you Google it. You can see what the camera looks like.

Ahhh........he's looking to do the horizontal bop. Got it....but I have to wonder, does the female look like him? Otherwise, what else would want him? LOL!

Ya know, I have 2 cameras (both with dead batteries!), and the latest one is a Nikon Coolpix 5600. I can't figure the darn thing out to save my soul, no matter how many times I read the manual. I keep going back and using my prehistoric HP camera instead. On the Coolpix, the pictures download so big, I can't really edit them, enhance color etc, with it, I just don't like it. I'll do a search on yours and see what the big difference is between yours and mine.

Quoting:
On the Coolpix, the pictures download so big, I can't really edit them, enhance color etc

What you are describing there has nothing to do with the camera.
You need a good PIC. program on your Puter.
I use Compu Pic 6.2 'pro'
The reason your Pics are so big is. You have a very good camera there.
Very high MP.
When you down load them through Compu Pic.
They are automatically re-sized to fit onto your monitor/screen.
I`ll give you an example of what you can do with Compu Pic.
All good Puter stores sell it. Crikey easy.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Ok. The female is almost identical.
But she does not have the Top part of the Pinchers.
She flips him over on his back with bottom horn.
Immobilising him, If she is not interested in him. I`m not going there.

I'm using the programs that came with the camera. What I meant about using the camera though, has everything to do with me. I try, but the pictures don't come out right. Like there's too many bells and whistles for me to remember. My HP is a point and shoot, so I don't have to remember a thing. In all honesty, I haven't really taken the time to just sit with the camera and get everything down in my head. The manual is more like a book that came with the darn thing. I'll keep trying and see if I can find the Compu Pic. I like the program with HP, but again, not all that involved with doing much other than cropping, enhancing and such. Depending on what it is I'm doing, I learn best from watching and being taught. With the camera, I think that's what I need. Somebody who knows how to operate camera's to show me hows and the whys. Somebody on here has a program that they can make it look like a cartoon with captions coming out of "bubbles". Now that's cool. I like how you put my name under there, that's pretty cool too. No need to go there, their love life can stay theirs....lol....

What time is it where you are? Isn't it like 11 or 12 hours ahead of me in Central Time?

Not sure when you posted this .
But I have 10.18 am here right now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.