guess this bird by its song..

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

It's probably common to my typical suburban/with some fields area. Heard two this morning going
'chirp y chirp y chirp y chirp y chirp' very fast, the y is a higher note than the chirp, and it always seems to end on chirp. So who out there is good with birdcalls? or do I have to go back to my bird CD and listen thru it.?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Maybe a Tufted Titmouse, they have a two-pitched, two beat kind of call.... some people say it sounds like,"peter, peter, peter, peter" For a little bird they make a lot of sound. Maybe a wren?

I think Cornell has a site with bird calls, too

both good suggestions- it would be like the titmouse , slightly reversed, and in a string . could be a wren if he dropped one syllable and ran long...

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Maybe a Chickadee, I have quite a few of them in the yard. They chirp pretty fast when someone is around and they send up a warning.

Let us know when you figure it out.

I just checked a few on my bird songs CD. think we'll go with Carolina wren. That's the bird that some say 'cheesburger-cheeseburger-cheeseburger' but also has a quick two syllable thing, quicker than the titmouse peter peter peter. Thanks for listening- nobody else in this house right now has a clue about this!

I have house wrens and carolina wrens, they're a lot of fun. They fly all around the porch looking for bugs and spiders. They sound to me like they say burgercheeseburgercheeseburgercheeseburgercheeese ! lol

Yes, for tiny birds they are bold and loud! sometimes one comes right on our deck and blasts me when I'm in the kitchen. I rarely have any other bird come up there. I grew a few large birdhouse gourds and hung them couple yrs ago. the poor wrens knocked themselves out filling the whole darn things with twigs until they just had the right amt of small space at the top
My best way to learn bird songs is to have an event to tie it with. For example, we were camping on the Eastern Shore MD and woke up to pewees. Whenever I hear them now, I recall the setting. Paying attention to songs has made me aware of birds around my yard that I never would have seen.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL sallyg, "'cheeseburger-cheeseburger-cheeseburger" :) We have a CD with bird songs and I get a kick out of the descriptions!

We finally moved our bird feeder this fall to our deck so we can watch the birds from our bedroom window. So far, the only ones who have been "smart" enough to find it are the darned Bluejays :( Now, if I could lure the Cardinals to the deck, maybe they'd stop attacking our windows on the front of our house!

even closer encounters- I have a small feeder that hangs outside my bedroom window, and if you're sitting on the bed, it's right behind your head. The cats sometimes sit on the pillows( OK, keep the spread pulled up!) and watch the birds at point blank range.
Birds out the kitchen window do cheer up the chief cook and bottle washer.
I don't have handy, but have seen a site with bird call mnemonics.
Anyone know if goldfinches have left central MD yet? I think they migrate, but have still heard things that sound and fly like them.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't identify any birds by their songs but would like to learn. Where can I buy a CD? Could someone recommend a good one.

I'm sure there's places on line that have them, I got mine at one of those specialty birding stores. I think it was "Wild Bird Center" or something like that, in Glenn Dale Md. They're called "Birding by Ear" and "More Birding by Ear", published by Houghton-Mifflin and the Peterson Field Guides, like the books. Mine are tapes, I'm sure they're on cd's too.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Here is a free site to get you started

http://www.naturesongs.com/birds.html

I have the Peterson on a CD- it was at a clearance type book place for $5- what a deal!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.