I've got Mango problems!!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

My mango tree's lower leaves have a black mold. I checked the internet under Mango Mold and told to spray with copper sulfate which I did and then ten days later with Ortho Garden Disease Control. It's going on three plus weeks now and there has been some improvement but very slowly. How dangerous is this mold?

Thumbnail by Tplant

Here is another picture. Also their are small nodules on the underside of some of the leaves. This is my first mango tree so I am concerned.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Maybe a better picture of the underside. I know the nodes are difficult to see but they are there.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2006 7:23 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

here... Don't know if you have read this article or not.

http://www.maui-arborist.com/more-mangos-maui-arborist.html

Just scroll down to the about the middle of the article. This is an organic way. When workign with fruits and veggies, I always try organic method first.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

Tplant

The Black Sooty Mold is a result of the problem not the problem. You have an insect problem and the Black Sooty Mold is a result of the bugs waste.

Check the plant for scale, aphids, white fly, thrips, spider mites etc.

I use either Safer Insecticidal Soap or oil (I use Organocide or Neem Oil) to treat most insect problems. Be sure the product you buy is labeled for fruit trees and follow the label for instructions. Do not spray either product on during the heat of day because it will burn the foliage.

When you eliminate the insects the Black Sooty Mold will stop appearing. As far as the existing mold the oil and soap will help dry up the mold and it will flake off. You can also help it by using the hose spray and slight rubbing of the leaves.

DW

Great info people. Both on the website and insecticidal soap. I trimmed the lower branches which had the most severe problems but could not find any insects? Perhaps it may be due to the fact that it has been very windy for the past week. My tomatos which are right next to the mango tree show no signs of insects, except for a few leaf miners, and are in excellent condition.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.