removal of jelly palms?

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

I just moved into a house in upstate SC and we have 3 HUGE jelly palms that were planted approx 7-10 years ago. The attached picture was taken a year ago when we came to look at the house. My question is, is there someplace that does removal of these without killing them? We really want them out but don't want to kill them in the process. I'd really like them to be able to go to a home that appreciates and wants them.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Kristen

Thumbnail by DevilDogs
Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Pindos are easy to remove and transplant. I bet if you went to some nurseries in your area, showed them some pics and say you will give them away, they just need to remove them, you will get takers. Especially for those. In many cases you can even get the nursery to replace them with something you want that is not expensive of course. This happens all the time here in SoCal. In fact I have personally removed a lot of cool stuff from peoples houses that did not want it anymore. I am just a collector though.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

If they don't plant something else-make sure that they will fill in the holes and grade it out, or you will be left with a mess.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Is it possible to remove something this big? The area it's in, around the pool, is fenced in and they are butted up to the deck. They are just way too big for the area they are in and as you can see from the pictures, it's just way overgrown. We have pompus (sp?) grass that we are going to pull out and two trees that I think are crepe myrtle (sp again?) that are coming down (way too dirty to plant by a pool...what were they thinking??). I just saw the palm trees and know people want them and hate to kill them so figured it would be easy to get someone to come take them. One guy came over, friend of my neighbors, and he really wanted them. They spent two hours getting no where and ended up just trimming them way back for me. He took a bunch of baby's that were growing around and in them, but had to leave the big ones.
I'm not sure what I want in that area yet and we are debating if we should get a landscaper out here. The entire pool area is WAY overgrown and all green. I want some color and SMALLER plants. Maybe if we can get a nursery out here, they can make suggestions?
Hitting the yellow pages tomorrow.
thank you,
Kristen

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

I moved an 18h x 15w foot Draco to my house. Nothing is impossible. :)

These are easy. It is hard to see from the picture, but it looks like there is a way to dig around so they could get a rubber wheeled bobcat in there to 'pop' them out.

Why are you removing them? You can trim them back and even cut the frawn ends back until the palm gets tall enough to walk under.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

My question, too... why remove them... they are nice, litter less than most trees, and even make edible fruit in the fall. But if you can get a crane in there, easy to remove.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Thank you for the advice. I'm sorry, I'm sure this isn't the forum to say this, but I just don't like palm trees. I think the 9 years I spent in Cali missing "real" trees the entire time, just kind of turned me off from them. I have several in pots that I brought from Cali with me but they are small, house plants and I llike those. I think it's just the big one's I don't like. What is the life cycle on these? Maybe I'll just wait if it's not too long as I remember reading something that made me think they were pretty old for this type.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Quoting:
DevilDogs
Campobello, SC
(Zone 7a)
I just don't like palm trees.

Shock horror. Now say 3 hail marys. lol

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

There are way more sycamore, assorted oak, coniferous, cedar, spruce, and eucalyptus and other leafing trees here in California than palms. What I remember from my midwest roots is endless miles of characterless trees that nobody I knew ever bothered to know what they were.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

OSTerry, never made it down to Oceanside. Now you make me wish I had. I spent my entire time locked up in North Orange County and other than the orange/lemon/avacado trees, saw mainly palms. I grew up with elm/oak/pine trees covering my entire street. We have about 10 oak trees here and I honestly have to say I hate them as I've been hit in the head with more acorns than I care to think about. But we butt up to state land that is absolutely gorgeous with trees. We have 4 of these palms on the property but it's the two on either side of the stairs to the deck that bug me. The other two are OK. They are trimmed way back now so I can at least live with them and don't have to fight them going up/down the stairs.
Sorry Ginger! :-) someone has to dislike them or they would cover the entire planet :-)

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

No, palms can't grow on most of the planet... but should grow where they can. Anyway, I think you should let these die of old age. They don't live long and should be out of your hair in just 50-80 years.

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

My Pindo fruit, I take a handfull every day in my lunch box, when in season, trim yours back, properly cared for and the fruit is not fiberous, and very tasty.

Thumbnail by edric
Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

LOL...Thanks PalmBob! If your ever in the neighborhood, feel free to drop by with a shovel and cherry-picker!
OK. I think ya'll convinced me to keep them...for now. They are trimmed back a lot now and look a lot better than they did. I'll try out the fruit when it comes back. There were tons when I got here but they are all gone now. Is Pindo the correct name for these? Is Jelly Palm just a nickname?

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

Pindo and Jelly Palm are both common names for it. Here's a link to it's plant file. Lots of photos and some info.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57055/index.html

Don't let the taller ones scare you away. It takes decades for them to get a lot of height. They would be even slower in your area than Florida or Southern California.

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, the one I have is thirteen years old, I've had it from a seedling, it's mother was near forty feet tall, and 80 something years old.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Thank you for the link. I looked at the pictures listed. Do the plants that end up growing from the trunk happen on purpose or accident? and if on purpose, how? Can I add some color to it? The entire pool area is way too green and I really want to add some color.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Not sure what you mean by that, but that plant is known for it's nice leaf bases, that, when cut properly, make individual little planters for whatever you want to grow in them (as long as it doesn't need a lot of soil)... have seen large trees growing out of those leaf bases, but that always ends badly eventually. However, unless you planted something there, it was by accident.

palmbob
Is the Queen Palm seed Edible ???
Here we call it Cocus.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Not ripe, seeds.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Seeds are 'edible' in the strictest sense- they have nutritive properties and are digestible and not toxic... but do they taste good?? Not really. Squirrels seem to think so, but I never found the taste acceptable.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, the one I have is thirteen years old, I've had it from a seedling, it's mother was near forty feet tall, and 80 something years old.

Eric, I have never seen a butia 40' tall anywhere. Not even in a book or on the web. I know they get that tall in Argentina but in Florida? Can you post a picture or 2 because here in California they only get about 20' of trunk and not in my lifetime!!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I haven't either... have seen some with nearly 20' of trunk (though probably less) that are 60-70 years old... I think that's about the max height they get here in California... then they rot and fall over.

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

I think it was over thirty five feet it was growing on the back road to the cape, where this real old house used to be, it dose'nt have a ad on it any more, it had been there since the twenties. I went back
the next year to get friut, and it was dead! The tiny seedling was all there was.

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

I was wrong, I took a tape measure out and it was not quite as tall as I thought it was, and I know tha Butias don,t usually get that tall, it was like you said mage 27 feet tall.

Macon, GA(Zone 8a)

It breaks my heart to hear that you want those lovely palms out. They're awesome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.