T.V. Gardening Shows

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

In another thread, Deviant Deziner gave her opinion of HGTV gardening shows. Since I enjoy gardening, I have my DVR set up to record lots of gardening or landscape shows each week. Some are on HGTV and some are on other networks. I'll give my opinion, but I'd also like to hear yours.

Gardening by the Yard, with Paul James the Gardener Guy - This is probably my favorite show. I think Paul is funny, entertaining, and gives real, practical advice. I learn more from this show that I can actually use in my own yard.

The Victory Garden - This is also one of my favorite shows. I like the practical advice here too. Since the Victory Garden is filmed in a similar climate to mine, many of the plants and growing instructions are relevant to me. I don't like when they do shows in Arizona or Florida or some other location that is way out of my climate zone. I also have no use for the cooking segments.

People, Places, and Plants - I also like this show, but I don't learn too much from it. Some of the gardens they visit in the people or places segments are inspiring. I also like Roger Swain. He's knowledgable, likable, quirky, and down to earth. I like Roger's segment the most because I do learn stuff from time to time.

Ground Breakers - I like this show. I've never seen anything that I could use in my own landscape, but it's fun to see what people with a whole lot more money than I have can do. I picture DD doing projects like this. In fact, if I ever see DD on TV, I'd expect to see her on this show. It's not very educational, but I find it very entertaining.

Landscape Solutions - This show is ok. The host is nice enough, but sort of boring. The projects are much more reasonable for someone like me to tackle and to afford. Not a bad show, but not my favorite.

Landscape Smart - I'm not sure why I keep watching this. I think a lot of the stuff they do is tacky. A lot of other stuff doesn't seem like it would last very long or age well. I'm not sure what the point of getting everything done in two days is. I couldn't do what they do in two days. Even if I could, I'd rather take my time and do the job right rather than rushing it and cutting corners. The host seems like a nice guy who really doesn't know much about landscaping.

Rebecca's Garden - I watched about two episodes. It was useless fluff. I'm either above this level of gardening or it's just not a very good show.

P. Alan Smith Gardens - I watched my first episode last week. I'll give it one more week, but it seemed a lot like Rebecca's Garden. I've never actually watched Martha Stuart, but I imagine her show being like this one.

Landscaper's Challenge - I stopped watching this show. I like the idea of showing what different designers would do with a project, but I never really learned anything from watching the show. The zone was also much warmer, so any plant choices were completely irrelevant to me. I know that design is not about specific plant choices, but I still wasn't getting anything out of this.

The Best of Canadian Gardening - I used to watch this show, but I just couldn't stand the host any more. Nothing very in depth.

The Coastal Gardener - I watched this show for the first time last week. I don't think I can stand to watch the host do impressions and have a big fake smile on his face for one more week. Ugh.

So what do you think of these shows and others?

This thread has 58 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!