Does this Jatropha look okay?

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

When I got it a about 1.5 months back, it was firmly planted in its pots, watered it thoroughly once since I got it. A few days ago, I poked the caudex to check if it hasn't turned soft or what not, and it lifted. Thought it was weird, because I poked it every once in awhile just to check before, it never even budge (sorry, can't help it, this thing is so round...lol). This thing don't seem to have gone dormant yet, since it still have foliage and growing new one. Did I wait too long to water? I was told to water it only once a month, and in november stop watering to prepare for dormancy. Maybe it's going dormant now that's why the roots isn't anchoring to the soil anymore?
This is how it look like when I took it out of the pot yesterday, one of the root just broke in half. Caudex's still firm, there are only 2 big roots, and the rest are little stubs, not too many either. I repotted it right away after checking. If this helps at all, the plant has been inside the house ever since I got it. Gets plenty of good light from the window.
What do you think? Does it still look healthy? Hope it's not dying or anything.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to look and for any advice...!

Thumbnail by baileykat
Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Is it normal with this Jatropha for having only a couple of roots?
Another pic from different angle.

Thanks again..!

Thumbnail by baileykat
Yardley, PA

It looks like it has gone dormant. Some people say don't water but many others say do give it some water through the winter so it doesn't lose it's roots. This is especially if you are keeping it warm. I give mine water every few weeks in the winter.

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for your input, SallyD!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.