Book advice.......any suggestions

Southern, United States

I was looking for a book that covered both seed germination and seed saving information. I found 2 listed in bookworm with lots of positive ratings, but I was looking for a little more information about them. The books I am interested in are From Seed To Bloom: How to Grow over 500 Annuals, Perennials & Herbs and Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners . My library only has one of the books and I had a few questions if anyone has these. I know that From Seed to Seed has information about germination and seed saving, but is it only about vegetables? And if so could the information be easily applied to other plants or is there a better book on saving seeds? I was hoping to get one book to answer all my questions about germination and saving, but I don't know if there's a good one out there. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't think there's any one book that is all inclusive. At least, not that I've found. You might like The American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation: The Fully Illustrated Plant-by-Plant Manual of Practical Techniques. I recently purchased this and, so far, it's the best I've seen. However, you still end up having questions, but hopefully, you can get your questions answered on DG.

Southern, United States

Thanks Beaker, I'll have to check that one out.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I have several books on seed germination, and I agree with Beaker that the AHS book is a pretty good all around book. Another one that is real nice is Ken Druse's book, Making More Plants. This covers other methods of propagation too, just like the AHS book does, but it is more personal and the photos are quite beautiful. Seed to Seed is about vegetables and has info about breeding. For me the breeding part was too complicated.

Southern, United States

thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.