Clematis propogation

nelson, New Zealand(Zone 9a)

HI, I have recently planted three clematis and wonder how to propogate them. They are all hybrids so how does one do it.
I see seed heads forming but would they come true to parent?
They are only a couple of months old in the garden so a bit too small to take cuttings.
I would appreciate any helpful tips.

Thumbnail by ferrymead
Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Hybrids will not come true, but may produce something interesting. What are the names of your Clematis? Depending on what group they are in will determine how they should be propagated.

That would be interesting to see what might come from the seeds.
This is Mrs. N. Thompson. The plant tag just says it is a Hybrid Clematis.

The photo of the seed head in the first posting is another hybrid called Sunset.

The other Clematis is called The President.

This message was edited Nov 27, 2006 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by ferrymead

Mrs N Thompson is a single large flowering clematis in pruning group 2. The main flowering period is late spring to early summer with another smaller flowering in the fall (or vice versa Down Under). The recommended propagation is cuttings as the seed will not come true. Large flowered seeds can take a year or more to germinate. Seeing as this is pruning group2, it could also be propagated through layering.

Sunset is also a single large flowering clematis in pruning group 2. The flowering period is from early summer to late summer and is more vigorous than Mrs Thompson. Propagation methods are the same.

The President is the same as the first two and is also more vigorous than Mrs Thompson. It's a bit taller than the other two, going 8 to 10'. The flowering period is late spring to early summer and again late summer to early autumn. Again, same propagation methods.

Oh Beaker, thank you so much for that information. Gosh, .....prining group two is a new one to me although I understand they can all both be propogated from cuttings and by layering. No sign of coming into bud again on the other two that are showing seed heads, do you think I should cut these seedheads off to promote another flowering, as we do when dead heading roses?

Would I have to cut a little slit in the branch when layering or should I just cover the branch in soil. And should smear on a little rooting hormon when doing this? As you can tell, I have never layered anything before. If my eyesight was not so poor now i could read it up in a book but the book print is too small for me to read nowadays. The perils of growing older when one has always been very shortsighted. However, I find it easy to read postings on the forums.Three cheers and a big Huurah for Dave's garden!

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I use a large magnifying glass to read. LOL I feel handicapped, but it is the only way I can see all the small print also.
When I propagate vines, I make sure there is a node to be buried. I lay the vine across a pot of soil, cover it and water it, and then place it inside a ziploc bag zipper side up. (A plastic storage bag for food about a gallon size.)
You can use the options to increase the size of text on a page in a browser. My internet explorer has a view tab at the top. If I select it and then text size I can choose a larger size also.
Medicine bottles is what I find so hard to read. It is very frustrating when I misplace the magnifying glass.LOL.

Thanks Windy, that is very clear.. One makes an enclosed growing space for the rod. Gosh, I don't think I have ever seen such a large zip bag but I will have a look next time at the supermarket.
Lol about trying to read the small print, I do use a magnyfying glass if I definitely have to read instructions. Any new pack of convenience kitchen food packets give me a bit of grief if printed against a dark background. Yes, I do use the largest size print tab and also use the control and + buttons pressed together to enlarge print on web sites to increse print to a very large size but this does not work on all sites.
Cheers!.

FM, I haven't done layering myself, but intend to do so next season. The process does involve a small slit unless the vine is very thin. The cut is made between leaf nodes. Rooting hormone wouldn't hurt. Tack the vine down on either side of the slit and cover with about 3" of soil. You can make several slits on one vine. That's called serpentine layering with the vine going in and out of the soil. You can also layer directly in pots.

Roots may be established by the end of the season. However, it may not be until the following Spring. Separate the new plants from the mother vine once you're sure the roots are established.

Pruning group 2 means that, once established, the vine doesn't require pruning. It is suggested that immediately after flowering you can clean up the plant by removing dead vines, etc. I really don't recommend deadheading. I know some people do, but when I tried it, I destroyed too many vines in the process. I think the seed heads are very attractive.

Also, some people would say to cut back the vines to the second or first leaf nodes to promote root growth. Because pruning group 2 plants only bloom on old wood, I have a hard time doing it because I'm anxious to see the blooms. It does take about three years for a new plant to get established.

Beaker, thanks a lot. I think I may be trying to run before I can walk by layering this season. the plants have only been in the grund for a couple of months and the stems are very thin. Your information makes it seem a straightforward process and easy to understand (and remember).

I will keep well away from deadheading I would hate to lose the vines. Last Spring we planted our first two cleamtis vines and they both died. My DH said it looked like Phytophera had done the deed. The latest three appear healthy and I do hope they stay that way. I agree that the seedheads are pretty, particularly 'The President' which are very large and fluffy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.