Purple Hyacinth bean question

Lakeland, FL

I've got 5 seedlings that sprouted and only have their first leaves so far.. I was wondering if I put them outside in the ground if they would do ok or if the first frost will destroy them..

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Frost will kill them.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Keep them inside...when I did an experiment on putting seeds right in the ground and putting seedlings out they both grew at the same rate..the bean does not like cold and will stop growing...and frost will kill it right away....have fun with them..they are my all time favorite vine to grow...Judy

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I took a clipped piece of HyacinthBV and put it directly into a bottle of water. It rooted really fast, but I am waiting to put it outside until next Spring. It has made a bloom on it too, right there in the bathroom window. Way cool plant!

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

If only I had thought of that, I would have had bottles all over the place....Judy

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I brought my corkscrew vine in, which is in the legume family also. It is doing better in a sunny window than it did outdoors all summer. I am thinking it needs less humidity and full sun than I thought at first.
I also grow the hyacinth bean vine every year. It will just poke along until the weather gets really warm, and then takes off. It will flower at the top of the vine after it reaches a certain height.
When I first started growing it back in 98, I was impressed with how the hummingbirds were attracted to it. They would perch on the little branches and take a rest for a while. It was my first experience seeing a hummer land and stay long enough to enjoy. Try growing it outside where you can watch the hummers from the kitchen sink or a livingroom comfy chair. It also has a nice fragrance to it.
Don't plant the seed too deeply. Some references say to cover lightly and others to bury it an inch. It does best when planted shallowly as if the ground is not warm enough, it will rot before germinating.
Good luck, you will really like it.

San Antonio, TX

If the frost kills the Hyacinth bean will it return in the spring? Will the Corkscrew?

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

In my 7b climate, once it hits the frost, it is gone forever. I do believe the Corkscrew is perennial in warmer climates, but I may be wrong.

Lakeland, FL

I don't think the purple hyacinth will come back after a hard frost.. It's an annual.. I'd love to have a corkscrew vine also..

This message was edited Nov 29, 2006 2:50 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Unless it is kept from frost the HBV will not survive. Next year, when your vines come up though, (from seed or from not freezing~ depending on your zone), the vine has to reach the top of the trellis before it will bloom. It is the same with many flowering vines, like Moonvine, etc. So the shorter the trellis, the quicker you will see blooms. In 7b I'd say it should be blooming by May.

Kitty if there is a sunny place inside you can keep them, they might make it until Spring. Then you can put them outside. I have some extra seeds if you need any next year.

Lakeland, FL

I have some extra seeds and figure I should be getting some from the ones that have already sprouted.. I was basically testing some seeds that I'd had for a while and didn't know if they were still viable.. Out of the purple hyacinth beans, rose of sharon, lupines, sweet autumn clematis, and baby's toes.. Only the purple hyacinth beans came up.. I'm going to put the purple hyacinth beans in a big empty kitty litter container that has a handle so I should be able to take them outside on nice days..

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Try soaking Rose of Sharon first before sowing. If they are not a hybrid, they should germinate well. I sowed some of those as a wintersown seed last winter and the plants are at minimum eight inches tall, and maximum two feet. They grow sort of at their own pace. I am going to line the perimeter of my yard with them and use them as a flowering hedge keeping them pruned to a suitable height.
The Sweet Autumn clematis takes a long time to germinate in some cases. I finally just went out and bought a plant. Then one I had sowed seeds for a couple of years ago started flowering. If it had not flowered, I would not have known what it was having given up on it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.