Trip to Charleston

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

My husband gave a paper at a conference in Charleston the week before Thanksgiving. I went along and had a wonderful time. The picture is from the campus of the University of Charleston. I wish I had a good picture of some of the beautiful camellias we saw.

Next spring I am going to try moving my two small camellias right slap up against the brick side wall of my house. I saw them grown that way in Charleston and really liked the way it looked. Maybe they won't look so forlorn in the winter if they are close to that west facing brick.

I was planning to save this place (the warmest spot I have) for a tea olive, supposedly one of the most fragrant plants around. But they were blooming in Charleston when we were there, and I discovered that I don't like their scent. It was just me--my husband and the two friends who were with us thought that they smelled wonderful.

I met Xeramtheum from the Carolina forum while I was there. We had a great time talking and since neither of us came empty handed, we both have a new plant to try out in our gardens.

I still hate the idea of travel but darn, it really is educational and Charleston is so worth the trip!

Thumbnail by dayli
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

dayli, I am so envious! For the past 3 years my husband and I have traveled to Naples, FL over the Thanksgiving holiday. This year we stayed in Virginia and I really missed it :( It's so nice to travel south when everything here is dying back and the trees are all bare. Love all those tropicals, even if we can't grow them here. I'd love to see more pictures!

Debbie

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful pic there!!! What does tea olive smell like? Thoughts, anyone?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I think I remember it described as sweet and rich and citrusy or like an apricot . That can't be right, I like the smell of apricots.

Here's another picture, Debbie.

Thumbnail by dayli
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

and another...

Thumbnail by dayli
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Wonderful composition to those photos...I'm impressed!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Great pics dayli - thank you for posting - the second one with the spanish moss is especially nice :)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks for sharing these terrific pictures, dayli. Charleston is one place I've always wanted to visit.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I can't take credit for the pictures. I still haven't learned my way around the (not so new anymore) camera. If I had been pointing the lens, there would have been more pictures of plants and flowers and fewer pictures of water and boats. I'll pass your compliments on though. The photogapher will be very pleased.

Thumbnail by dayli
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

It sounds like you had a wonderful time in Charleston! It brings back such wonderful memories when we visited there many years ago. I still remember the Spanish Moss dripping from the big oak trees and the beautiful fountains in the bricked courtyards. I found it very enchanting and romantic!

Crozet, VA

Hart and I think very much along the same lines. I want to visit Charleston at some point too. My husband visited there several times many years ago and talks about going again. I am also like shirley in that I am fascinated by the spanish moss in the trees.

Thanks for sharing dayli.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.