Aspidistra variegated

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Aspidistra (variegated ) What is the fastest way to get this plant to multiply. I have a variegated plant that is slow to increase? I potted some up in a container for indoors. I thought maybe if I kept it growing through the winter as a houseplant that it might put out more new growth than those that are outside in the garden.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Seems like in a pot w/ some- though not total- crowding they should multiply faster, but not sure. I love the variegated- good luck.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I love them too April and it makes good trading plants. If only I could it to multiply faster.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

They are notorious for being slow growers. Ideal soil, water and fertiizer helps but they are still slower than the all green variety. I am told they can take a good bit of fertilizer but I have not tried to overfeed them myself

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hurry-up and wait. Part shade, poor soil, root-bound, and slow release fertilizer get them going for me. Reminds me of a Heinz ketchup commercial.

Thumbnail by growin
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Growing I love your spotted. Haven't found that yet around here. I am going to find it online and buy it. i wasn't too impressed with ones I had seen but yours is beautiful.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It's a nice plant, better than the species. The spots remind me of when they split an atom and the images of it. In the trade they call this "Milky Way" but it has a different name at PlantDelights. This plant somehow survived very high heat in a greenhouse fire that melted its pot and the glass roof. The plant somehow came back, actually all of the Aspidistra came back from the fire. The more it is abused, the better it does. I've got it growing outside in a very shady place under a cedar tree. The pictured plant is in a short azalea pot.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

there used to be a DGer that was an aspidistra nut, who had the most amazing collection. I never dreamed there were so many, and quite diff. one from the next. I don't think he's around anymore. I have a very young Milky Way and that is the slooooowest plant, however, I don't do anything to it, so as long as it doesn't die, I'm OK with it, lol.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

vossner is yours in the ground or is it a house plant? I have the varigated both places. I guess it will winter over Ok. This is the first year I have had it.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

The spotty ones are not nearly as fussy as the varigated ones where a good portion of the leaf is white.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Yes , the guy at the nursery told me that the more white that is on it makes it more susceptible to sunburn. We have had two hard freezes already and they haven't missed a lick.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Riverland, mine is inground and it didn't even get ratty last winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.