Plum tree question.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I have two large (30') plum trees in my backyard. This spring they were both covered with blossoms, and some of them set fruit, but I only got three ripe fruits, total, from both trees.

Needless to say, I would not like to repeat this performance next year. What can I do to increase the yield from these trees?

Glen Rock, PA

Hi GEG. Are you sure they are a kind that is supposed to make fruit? Some varieties are grown for floral display and produce few or no fruit.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

No, not sure.. I think I'm going to buy a couple of saplings this year at home depot and put them next to mine to try to get better pollination. If I do get better pollination, next year I'll try grafting a different variety onto mine. Does this sound like a good strategy?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Some years fruit production is low because insects are not active. The weather may be warm enough for the trees to blossom but too chilly, windy, or damp for most bees, wasps and other flying pollinators to be stirring about. Some insects migrate - the good guys may not have arrived in time for your trees. You did have some fruit set - so your trees do try - if they are the same variety they may need a different one for better results. Problem is - not all varieties bloom at the same time - as I have discovered here, even with having chosen varieties that should be conpatible. Santa Rosa is considered to be an all-purpose variety that will serve to pollinate most other varieties.

Try to talk with other gardeners in your area to find out if their trees had low production this year. Contact the nearest chapter of Master Gardeners for that information, or the county extension agent. Also for any soil amendments or other clues that might be helpful for your area.

Yuska

P.S. Should have mentioned this first! Contact the California Rare Fruit Growers.
Plums aren't considered rare, of course, but the CRFG is a wonderful group of amateur and professional gardeners with vast resources of information. I was a member of the Inland Empire chapter when I lived in San Bernardino and can recommend the organization from personal experience. The contact point for the Golden Gate chapter is http://www.crfg.org/local/chapters/ca_gold.html

This message was edited Nov 22, 2006 9:49 AM

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

While on this subject. ..........I have noticed that a very small insect pollinates my plum trees and also the cherry trees. These are among the first trees to blossom. I am wondering what those swarms of tiny insects are.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.