Storing banana plants for winter

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

I know I've seen all the answers to my questions but I can't find the thread. Anyway......... I want to dig up a couple of my bananas and store them on my screened porch covered with plastic and some heat and light (not too much) so that I can get a jump on next season. I'll probably be able to maintain a heat of 35-40 degrees. From what I remember, this will be ok. I know I need to trim leaves. But do I need to put them in soil in a pot or can I take them (3-4) and put them all together in some big pot (like a trash can) with very little dirt and maybe a little pine straw for warmth? They'll not take up so much room that way. I don't have a basement or garage. I do have a crawl space and I could wrap them in burlap or something and stick them in the crawl space. If I do that, can they go right on top of the ground or do I need to elevate them off the ground? My crawl space is onely about 2 1/2'-3' high so I'll have to lay them down. If I put them in the trash can with soil, should I give them a little water occasionally?

Thanks for the help,
Barbara

I forgot to mention that my crawl space to my house is made of 2' x 4s built horizontally so some air does get in there, but I would put them on the south side of the crawl space. Thanks again!

This message was edited Nov 19, 2006 11:27 AM

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's an often cited link http://bananas.org/showthread.php?t=310
Dave.

Dave,

You're the best! That's perfect!

Thanks,
Barbara

Thanks ma vie. This is all good info.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)