Needed: Licania michauxii

Titusville, FL(Zone 9a)

Does anyone have seeds for Gopher Apple (Licania michauxii) or an actual plant?? I am in need of some... or have a line on one at a nursery near Jacksonville???

Chris

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hey, Chris.

In all my wondering around in the woods in our area, I've never seen one of the Gopher Apples. From the plant characteristic descriptions, it sounds more like it prefers the dry, sandy highland areas that may be most present around the Ocala Ridge and other places, but there is a good possibility that there might be one growin in the Jennings Forest area in Middleburg as that is a mostly dry, flat "prairie" type environment.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/68509/index.html

It sure looks like an interesting plant, though. The flower reminds me of a Hoya flower.

In our travels this Saturday, I'll try to see if Ben Dinkin's native plant nursery in Orange Park is still in operation. If Ben doesn't have the Gopher Apple, he might be able to tell you where to find one.

I think we should start planning a field trip about once a week on a regularly scheduled basis to track down new plants and explore the nurseries around here, Gainesville (where I think there are a few excellent native plant nurseries), etc. If only there were more time!!

Jeremy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.