Hellebore Seed

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

I read some where that Hellebore seed must be sown fresh. I also see them for sale on ebay and other seed sites. What is the straight scoop? I would like to winter sow some.

Thanks

Gary

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I bought several types of hellebore seeds and didn't have any luck... some can take 18 months or longer to germ. and it has to be the right conditions... I tried to sow indoors... next time I am going to try outside

I also read the seed should be fresh... all I know it was very depressing to put them in the fridge for three months take em out for three months put them in the fridge for three months... over and over... for almost 2 years and have nothing happen

Yorkshire,

Hi Gary!
The best thing to do with Hellebores is to act out how they 'self seed' when left to their own devices, I have about 10 different ones that all grow in one of the shady areas of the garden and are very much left to do their own thing (mainly because I just forget to colect the seeds from them). Every year we find dozens of tiny seedlings under the parent plants from seeds that have self sown. I did manage to collect a few seeds 3 years ago and sowed them straight from the seed-pods. These were then left outside in a cold greenhouse (they need the cold to germinate well as you already know) and although it did take quite some time for the seeds to germinate I believe I got at least a 90% germination from them (probably even more.)
I don't have experience of growing seed that has been around for some time so can't really comment there, but I firmly believe that any seed from a plant that will 'self sow', is best sown very fresh.
I hope this helps a little.

Terri

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Recently I found out that hellebore seed that is not fresh is not dead by any means but just very dormant. So you can buy hellebore seed from a source that stores it somewhere other than, say, the dashboard of a car but it will be harder to germinate.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's a thread that might be of interest, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/680532/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.