Correct planting depth for Black Gamecock Iris

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Are the Black Gamecock Iris supposed to be planted partly above the ground like the others or do they get planted completely beneath the soil line?
Thanks for your input,
Sherry

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Black Gamecock is a Louisiana Iris, which is a type of beardless iris that thrives in moist conditions. It should be planted with the rhizomes 1-3" below the soil surface in damp, acidic soil. Mulch it well with pine needles. LA clumps travel as they expand, so give it plenty of room.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

laurief
Such a fast response!!! Thank you so much! I love this place!
Sherry

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Laurie, here's a question also for you regarding LA's...I've read that they should not be let to go dormant...could you explain to this dummy (ME) what exactly is dormancy in a LA iris? Thanks in advance.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Sorry, weegy, but I, too, am a dummy in regards to that question. My personal experience with LA's is all but non-existent. I tried to grow Black Gamecock once, but it wimped out here in the frigid north. All I know is what I've read, and I've never read that LA's should not be allowed to go dormant.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi folks,

We have a large pond FULL of LBGI, and it lives just fine standing in water. In
fact, I also have a small fish pond full of it with just enough water to be wet. It
has no problem getting through the winter with no protection at all.

But for those of you in the cold sections, you could even drag a bucket of
water to your garage or other area where it did not freeze, and keep 'em there.
They are pretty durable suckers.

Karen Marie

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks Laurie anyway, I just wondered what dormancy means concerning irises. I read that in an iris book but they never did explain what "dorment" meant in LA's. Thanks for getting back to me and no apology necessary.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

weegy,

I've been studying up on LAs. I planted a few this fall. It is my understanding it is OK if they go dormant. Maybe there is something about your weather that you are supposed to not let them go dormant, but not that I've seen. It is my understanding that they may go into a summer dormancy similar to Spurias also in certain parts of the country, and that growers are divided between whether to let them go dormant at that time or to keep watering them heavily to keep them from going dormant.

Greg at Iris City has told me they should do fine in my Z6, and they will certainly go dormant in the winter here.

Greg would be a great person to ask any questions of.

Polly

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks Polly. That helps out alot. I will just continue what I've been doing then, they've been doing fine, some of course better than others.
Thanks again for your help.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, you're welcome!

I found this on the Louisiana Iris Farms website. Although this is in Illinois, it may help explain the dormancy.

"In this area watering is most important during July and August. Irrigation during summer is helpful to most varieties, but a few like FADING BEAUTY, MEDORA WILSON, BUXOM and DENEB have a strong tendency to summer dormancy in spite of apparently sufficient water. This dormancy usually occurs during the summer months of July and August."

It goes on to say that "some" rhizomes may be lost during dormancy.

But anyway, it does appear to be a normal part of some Louisianas cycle.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I plant LA Iris half in the soil half above and half below the soil; and mulch VERY heavy. You can use oak leaves (and bagged HARDWOOD mulch too--or a mixture of all 3--the best) too--I think they are actually better than pine needles at protecting the rhyzomes from sunscald. LA Iris, unlike the other types of Iris, MUST be mulched. All LA Iris, in the South, are dormant July and August and usually September too; no matter the variety. I have some that are just now starting to grow again. A better source of info would be one of the Southern hybridizers such as Patrick O'Connor at Zydeco Gardens or Bois de Arc Gardens in Meterie LA. Louisiana Iris Farms does not have the greatest of reputations among those that grow a lot of LA Iris. You can also get a lot more info from the Loiusiana Iris Society site:
http://www.louisianas.org/welcome.html

I grow a lot of Louisiana Iris, its the only iris (other than some native species) I grow. I have a great pdf file from Patrick on care and hybridizing if you want to dmail an address. It's a bit long to cut and paste (5 pages).
Debbie

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Debbie, I would really like a copy of that, will dmail you my address. Thanks, Polly

you have mail! =)

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks guys for the info, you've really helped clear up my LA questions.

I actually had to get out there today and turn the soaker nozzle on mine. We haven't had any rain in 2-3 weeks after October downpours. Winter is the crucial time to keep them wet down here and they have been really wet--I was afraid they were going to get too dry. By the way, I do mine in regular garden setting--but it is the "wettest" part of the garden and we do have thick gumbo clay.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

I am in zone 6 and have had LAs for a couple of years now. I have always been if they need too much work (anyplant) it is not worth it in my area. I created a semi-bog area using clay, sand and pea gravel on top of weed block. All my down spouts empty into this fake bog area but extra watering since I am on a well is not possible and I leave it to mother nature. Midnight and Bob Ward both went semi dormant during a dry spell but bounced back beautifully with no additional water. We have very wet springs and wet falls and that seems to be fine for LAs. They have bllomed each year but lucky for me this semi dormancy tends to control their numbers ( ok it only controls them a little
:)
Anita

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Just to add my 2 cents: I have ALOT of Black Gamecock LA's, planted barely 1" deep, in part sun. I'm in Zone 8. They are mulched, but not very heavily, with pine straw. The soil is pretty heavy; lots of clay. I water them alot in all but winter, when I only water if the ground gets dry. They do seem to slow down in mid-summer which is when I divide them. They have continued to spread and bloom well. I also have a couple in a small container water garden; they don't even die back in mid winter. Love 'em! HTH! :)
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.