Eco friendly cottage gardens

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

nrynes,
It sounds like you did a lot of research to find the right plants to fit your garden. I also would love to see what your garden looks like. I looked up some of the plants you mentioned in an older book I had called "A Nature Company Guide Natural Gardening", that divides plantings by regions. I found most of the plants you mentioned in the section entitled Mountain and Basins. Unfortunately it only highlights individual plants and some native insects and animals, not broad landscape sweeps. I'd like to see how it's all put together. Any suggestions for books if you can't post photos?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

nrynes, your garden sounds wonderful and very well researched. Have you considered the native Lonicera sempervirens varieties? I've been growing red trumpet honeysuckle for years and it has been very well behaved- never the first seedling or any unwanted spread (nothing like the Japanese honeysuckle that runs rampant here). Actually, the only way I've been able to propagate it has been through layering. Bignonia (Crossvine) may be a good option too. Brushwood offers a nice variety of native vines and is a wonderful vendor.

http://www.gardenvines.com/catalog/native-vines-c-26.html

Neal

West Jordan, UT

I am in the middle of a landscape overhaul. We put in a top of the line irrigation system last fall so I now have the flexibility to do whatever I want. I garden 'on the edge'. 15 miles east of me are lush mountains. 15 miles to the west, desert. My new landscape reflects that. We removed about 1/2 of our grass area and will replant the remaining area with a more waterwise sod than we previously had. The mixed border that will surround the lawn are 15-20 feet wide and will be a low water zone (this was previously lawn). We've doubled the size of the hardscape/patio areas so that will reduce water use as well.

However, I'm not giving up my delphiniums etc. that require more water. I have just created a specific moderate water use zone for them in a key area (front yard flower bed) so that they will have maximum impact. Being climate/water conscious doesn't mean losing all of your favorites. You can do both if you create specific 'zones' for high, medium and low water use plants and then group like plants together.

Also, you can have a cottage garden look with natives. The book "The Undaunted Gardener" by Lauren Springer is a must have for intermountain gardeners. There are often native forms of plants you love that might not be as large etc. as the hybrid forms but are much tougher and will thrive in your climate. I also love High Country Gardens as they show quite effectively how to have lush plantings in low water/ hot summer settings. Below is a link to Lauren's website. I'd post some pics from it to the thread but I'm new and don't know how to do it.

Visit http://www.plantdrivendesign.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.