U.C. Davis fruit tree hardwood cuttings

Greensboro, AL

December 1 is the deadline for ordering cuttings for fruit trees from the U.C. Davis repository.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=12146

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

So are these easy to grow from the cuttings? What about cost?

Greensboro, AL

I don't know about "easy". I think its a matter of procedure, maintaining the right conditions, and using healthy stock as defined by many in this forum with more expertise than I. When I went to the U.C. Davis site, I did not find a lot of information. You have to do your own research. I did find that they have mostly scions, which means you have to have rootstock ready for grafting. But, they also have hardwood cuttings and green cuttings for summer propagation. The fruits they have are kiwi, grape, promegranate, persimmon, peach, fig, and a few others. The cuttings are free, but the repository requests that you pay for shipping. They asked me, for example, if I had a Fed Ex account, so that the shipping could be charged. Personally, I think this is a great oppportunity to learn propagation, and to test cultivars for their performance in different environmental zones.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Great - will get my information in to them..

So how do I set up a Fed Ex account... need to go find out. I am going to try the Figs, grapes, and sooo many more.. this is going to be fun.

Thanks Mitch

Greensboro, AL

Yes I think so. This will be fun. There were some links on the crop pages to a few vendors who describe some of the varieties. Not all though, so there are likely to be some cool and dry types that wont grow for me. Figs do great here though, at least the adapted types--still growing on abandoned farm land.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.