Sale at Parks plant trays, heat mats, etc.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I got an email from Park's the other day, alerting me to their site-wide 35%+ off sale going on through November 21. The sale price on those wonderful heavy-duty Perma-Nest plant trays is just unbeatable (I ordered a few, LOL), and the sale includes seedling heat mats and all the other seed starting supplies. Their $1 seeds are even further reduced. :-)

FYI, they do calculate shipping based on the total before discounts..

Just thought somebody else might appreciate the heads-up. www.parkseed.com

(I have no affiliation with Parks other than as a happy customer who will not be dealing with flimsy black plastic trays this winter.)

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Quick, Critter -- What size should I get?

I was thinking the smaller ons would keep the different kinds of seeds separate, but the larger ones would be easier to handle. (?)

Suzy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I got two 20x20 ones rather than one 48x20 one because the big one didn't quite fit on my shelf... That ended up working out well because not all seedlings like to stay on the heat mat once they're sprouted, so it was good to be able to put heat under just 2 flats rather than 4. More importantly, I got a controller with it... my basement temp varies, so I thought the thermostat was important, and it's really nice to set it at 79 degrees and get happy pepper seedlings in record time.

oh! You might have been talking about the trays, not the heat mats... I like the 11x22 inch ones (like a standard nursery flat). They'll take those 10x20 "sheet pots" (set of nursery six-packs), and if you get sheet pots that are perforated so they'll separate into groups of 6 it's easy enough to keep your seed types separated and even juggle seedlings around between flats as needed. I germinate a lot of my seeds in little plastic salad containers (holes in top & bottom) and then transplant them into the 6-pack flats when theyh have oneor two sets of true leaves.

Four of the 11x22" flats will fit on my 18x48" shelf (with 2 double florescent tubes above them)... they do hang over the front & back of the shelf a little, but it works. I think the main consideration is what size you need to fit your shelf/table/windowsill.

HTH!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh, I didn't realize you do so much indoor sowing -- I always see you in the WS forum LOL

Guess I'd better do and measure my bench.

Thanks,
Suzy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... winter sowing keeps me sane when I run out of room on the light shelves! (Even with space under the lights for 24 flats, I do run out... esp. since at least a quarter of the plants are given away to friends & family.)

I'm going to take my flimsy black plastic trays and poke a little hole in the corner of any that don't already have a hole... then use them for WS containers and up-potted plants being sheltered on the deck... easy to bottom water everything that way, and plants won't drown if we get a couple inches of rain.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

thanks for the heads up critter....just what I needed. :-)
carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.