Came the rain......

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

....yesterday! Felt sure we would have some ferocious storms and the mulch be washed away from my new beds. But no, it was persistent but gentle and the way I love it. This morning, 6 am, I sat on the cat's porch and had my first cup of tea. My favourite place to be!! So still, so fresh. The mountains were not visible because of the mists but the birds were highly visible and singing joyously, their sounds more beautiful than ever in the quiet cool hours. They too must feel so grateful for the reprieve from the incessant heat. How their little bodies survive is beyond me!! I still have not identified them all but just so glad they are here and in such numbers. Having seen my first hummingbird ever only about 6 weeks ago, I am delighted to find they visit here every day. I have lost count of the number of sightings now but my heart skips a beat each time I see one. We had bigger visitors also this morning - a doe and her baby. They stayed very close to the woods and didn't come anywhere near my plants - I am content!

Sounds like you have finaly found what you have been looking for louisa, lucky you.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello Alan - they say the best things are worth waiting for, so I think this is it!! :-)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Louisa, we have seen a doe and her twins a couple of times lately as we go to check one bunch of heifers. Two nights ago, there was a buck with them with his velvet covered antlers. It is very odd to see a whole family like that, especially this time of year when their antlers are beginning to get itchy. Only one bit of caution - what most folks love most to plant, deer love most to eat!

Thank you for sharing your beautiful morning...it refreshed me just to read it. I'll be glad when fall comes and we have beautiful cool mornings again. They drench the soul with peace.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Kathleen when we lived in our rental before moving we were inundated with deer. Most of our time in that house was tied up with the new house selections etc - I found it very tedious really because I hate shopping, but we were out for most of the day at times. Anyway, the deer never touched my plants - remember how many I had in pots?? Even through the long winter they left them alone and there were times when I would have liked them to help themselves!! Yes, it is a little strange to see a whole family together at this time. I wonder why that is!! Lantana it must be so hot in Texas and I really don't envy you the dry heat. I'm sure I couldn't survive such temps. It has, so far, been such a lovely summer and only a couple of times have I found it unbearable. But like you, I like cool. At least we can put on our thick socks and warm sweaters in the winter and not have to resort to staying indoors with the a/c full blast. However, the summer is flying by so quickly and that's the part I don't like. Every day seems to go by faster than the last one :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.