A future restoration project

Check this out, I don't know if the bird will show up but there is an American Coot floating around at the other side of this hydrant pond-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

At some point in time, indigenous marginal plant will be added to this area.

This next photo boasts a remnant oak savannah in the far back of the image which is an ecosystem unto itself. The foreground boasts what is referred to as a Roundup Ready soybean field currently under cultivation. This area will ultimately be a tall grass prairie-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

The next photo, although not that great, represents an area that might be a natural for an Oak/Hickory Savannah. There are some pretty severe erosion issues present.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

This entire package of 25 acres is owned by a Church that wants to create a child friendly environment for kids to run around. It is in need of controlled burns. They have some prime lowlands that lend themselves to an open sedge meadow and possibly even some sort of an artificial bog or created marsh. The entire hydrology of the land was changed prior to the purchase and they are going to try to work with what they have. Here's another photo of their land-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Members of their Church community have already begun to remove Buckthorn and Exotic Honeysuckle. They are going to focus on removing the Barberry that is taking root and they have already been hand pulling Garlic Mustard. They've done a remarkable job so far. It's nice to see Churches and Golf Courses going native.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good job on that Equilibrium--I will have to get out to the Katy Prairie Conservancy near here and take some pics soon. Are they having any trouble finding native plants and seeds...that is at reasonable prices; or better yet, free?

Thornton, IL

How exciting to have a blank slate to work with. Who is in overseeing the implementation of the site restoration?

Not exactly a blank slate. We've already counted 35 exotic invasive species present. That's what happens when land sits. They're doing the best they can and they are going the team approach to site restoration. From what I have discerned, they don't have anyone on their team who has any experience with restoration. First thing that stuck out like a sore thumb were the Ash trees that were sold to them. Probably a fire sale. Shame. I feel really bad about that. Ash have been a staple in our landscapes but definitely not a plant to pay hard earned money for these days all factors considered.

Their funds appear to be extremely limited. They are relying on volunteers from their Church team to do the physical work and they reached out to me and my girlfriend for guidance as to where to go after their clean up efforts begin to show more results. They've disturbed an incredible amount of land removing exotic invasives and we all know that sets the scene for other exotic invasives to come in and get an even greater foothold if they aren't in a position to plant back more appropriate species. The other issue is that they have a farmer who is currently growing soybeans who is in his 70's and wants to retire. First thing that blurted out of my mouth was to pay him to keep those areas in cultivation until they can get a plan of action together that they believe will meet their needs. Letting those fields go at this point could have disastrous results in my opinion unless they're ready to swoop in for reclamation. I offered to "assist" for the lowlands areas and my girlfriend offered to "assist" in the uplands areas but neither of us wants to get all that involved with them other than to steer them to people who are considerably more qualified to help them. We're free but you get what you pay for and trying to get them to understand the need to call in environmental engineers and a biologist is going to be tough. We can help them identify species that are generally deemed threats in need of being controlled/eradicated but it is up to them to determine whether to act or not. I truly don't see them hiring professionals which would be ideal. In consideration of the fact that they may not be in a position to afford professionals, it would be nice to find other people who also have experience in natural areas who would be willing to come in and offer suggestions for how best to attack this land. I'd like to find about 5 or 6 enthusiasts who have the hands on experience in natural areas so that enough suggestions can be on the table for the Church to determine what they believe to be best for them. No more people with the mind set that it is "ok" to sell a Church Ash trees either. That was a pretty blatant abuse of trust in my opinion given the Emerald Ash Borer is already documented as being in several counties of this state.

Free plugs or seed? Doubtful. On a positive note, people who care can be taught to help cut their costs by winter sowing and there are other little tricks of the trade to offset the burdens of such a massive project. It isn't going to get down in the time frame they shared with me but they could be in pretty darn good shape in 10 years.

Thornton, IL

Given that they've already been ripped off once, maybe they'll be a little more open to professional help. The Nature Conservancy would probably be a good resource for contacts. I know they have helped other groups of volunteers get going on their own projects. It is possible that other people, including schools, businesses and local governments, would donate to the cause, particularly if the plan was to use the land as a community resource, both for conservation of wild life habitat and for educational purposes. In other words, they can't hope to operate in a vaccuum and generate much interest. The benefits of preservation are many, so it would be in their best interests to arm themselves with as much information as possible.

When I was working in the corporate world, I was in a new office building in Homewood. The office park was built along a little stream running off a retention pond. They were having problems with the geese, which are quite a nuisance! They were considering mowing the tall grasses right up to the edge of the property line. I mean that day, the president of our company was going to tell them to just mow it all down. I am so glad God put me there that day, so that I could tell him that the milkweed growing there was the only thing that the monarch butterflies ate. And that they would be destroying the only cover small mammals had in winter, since the the nearby golf course had been developed. I told him about the tall grass prairie I grew up on, in nearby Markham, right up against the tollway. And how developers ended up donating the land for conservation. And that small efforts really do count. Do you know, in the seven years I worked there, it was a joy to to spy the little red foxes, the peregrine falcons, and other wildlife that no doubt would've moved on if not for that fateful day. And when they put an addition on the building, Mr. Gray changed the plans so that a large old tree slated for removal (I'm sorry I don't know what kind) would be spared? I have so much respect for this man, for these small actions meant a lot to me, and I hope, others who worked there.

Sorry to go on and on, this is a subject near and dear to my heart.

They don't know they've been ripped off. Always best to focus on the positive so I didn't say a word about their choice to plant them in two soldier rows. One of the issues with a situation such as this is that you never know who owned the nursery that sold them those Ash trees and what their relationship is to the Church. Think about it PG... that's a lose lose situation. I have no doubt those large B&B Ash trees were sold to them as being a native plant that would be great for their restoration project. Naturally, those Ash trees were probably sold to them at a considerably reduced rate... of course... to help the Church with their cause and all. You and I know that nursery exploited their lack of knowledge on the Ash situation however the nursery will look like a knight in shining armour because it gave them a deal. Suchadeal! Regardless, that nursery will be ensured their continued support when they have money to buy plants because I doubt seriously if there is anyone there who would be receptive to being told they'd been had. Those Ash trees just purchased and put in the ground will most probably not be around in the not too distant future although I suspect when those very same Ash trees fail that the very same nursery that sold them to the Church will be right there to sell them nice big B&B replacements. There is not one person on their team whom I can identify as having even the slightest exposure to the complex issues associated with exotic invasive species and "naturalized" to them appears to be an entirely foreign concept. Far be it for me in my own community to be the bearer of bad tidings. Best to let them pay to get that kind of information as they will be more likely to act responsibly of their own free will.

I am grateful for one thing, our local government has done a bang up job spreading the word about inavasives which is why they started right in on the Buckthorn, Asian Honeysuckle, and Barberry. It's a good solid start. Best to commend them for being so "environmentally conscious".

The Nature Conservancy has a large parcel of land about 5 miles away from this land. This parcel is over run with the full compliment of exotics. They evidently do not have the volunteers to care for hundreds of acres of their land and they evidently are not paying professionals to come in and maintain it so it sits there being encroached. I've watched that land for a few years now and it is a huge disappointment. Sometimes I really have to wonder why The Nature Conservancy keeps buying land without caring for what has already been purchased. Next time you get a chance to come up by me, I'll take you up to The Nature Conservancy's land so we can walk around. Talk about wanting to cry, seeing their land will truly get you a little bit choked up. Definitely not a spot you'd want to go to for ideas of how best to pull off a do-it-yourself reclamation.

Thornton, IL

The Nature Conservancy only buys the land silly, it is up to the volunteers of America to invest the blood, sweat and, yes, tears to "reclaim" the land. The reasons they buy the land are so that every single parcel of land out there is not developed into strip malls and parking lots. They do offer guidance to interested parties. If you go to their website you can read more about their "methods, tools, and techniques." But all that aside, I think the first thing this church needs, is to identify their goals for this land. Without knowing their direction, how can they know what plants to include? It is irresponsible not to point out to them that a single, soldier row of anything is not a natural occurrence. And that certain species of trees are being attacked by foreign pests and diseases. Maybe since they have reached out to you, you could be their gentle guide? You do know a lot about the subject, I don't think it would fall on deaf ears. Every one of us has made mistakes early on, and no one is born knowing it all. Trees don't grow on tallgrass prairies at all, or is that too obvious?

I'm familiar with The Nature Conservancy but I'm already the "property" of other organizations. There are times I feel thread bare. I believe TNC needs to do some active campaigning in that area. There are people who do care who would step up to the ball plate and commit a few hours a month but it's going to take a little bit of doing to organize a group and that group is going to need to know that TNC will be there to back them with training, equipment, and products. I haven't seen that happening over there and for three months out of the year I pass by that parcel twice a day. It's a ghost town for all practical purposes. Sheesh, their Bluebird nestboxes are filled with English House Sparrows and I have no doubt an aerial view of that property from just 5 years ago would show a dramatic change in the hydrology as the European Phragmites and the Narrow Leaf Cattail have teamed up with the Ribbon Grass and they are spreading out. In consideration of the natural areas that do have volunteers tending to them that are located in the immediate proximity of this TNC parcel... I must admit that maintenance of state and county property must be considerably more labor intensive. Their unmanaged undesirables are simply stated- not staying put. I ask this question rhetorically but is there anything so wrong with taking a breather from purchasing more properties to focus on tending to what one already has by allocating precious financial resources to preserving lands already held in trust? Without active site management, those properties will be reduced to nothing more than a green strip mall in no time at all.

There's a natural progression that needs to take place as the Church team moves collectively from one phase to the next. It's difficult to describe however pointing out to them that they've been ripped off right about now might not be in anyone's best interests as somebody within their tight knit community has a tie to that nursery. What's done is done and sometimes it is best to move forward. Look at it this way, when those Ash come down they will be able to create biomass for the soil. I have been contacted and I will do my best by them once I have a better understanding of the dynamics of their team. They will have to learn to crawl well before they can walk. If I am able to nudge them in a more appropriate direction, that's great. If they choose not to be nudged, that needs to be respected. You see, our beliefs don't matter. It will be their beliefs that are followed. It doesn't appeart they have a firm belief system established as of yet but I know one thing... they're removing Buckthorn, exotic Honeysuckle, and Barberry and that to me is "crawling with style". Please know that if I am asked point blank about any of what I have seen over there to include their soldier row of Red Oaks... yup Red Oaks all planted within about 20' of each other (need I say any more?)... I will share with them what I believe and why. I will not volunteer this information. It wouldn't be appropriate.

And no, trees don't grow on tallgrass prairies but that's nothing a gift of a few books titled "Noah's Garden" won't be able to fix ;) Let them get exposed to some of the concepts before they get indoctrinated by their own fires and I do literally mean that as they're going to have to burn over there.

Thornton, IL

We'll all be interested to see how this turns out, it sounds like they're starting to clear an estate, rather than restore anything, to me. That's better than nothing, and much better than dumping, which is sadly what happens too often to these lands. As for the land you pass, it sounds as though they do not have active stewards. Maybe their priorities will shift in the future, and the land will get the attention it deserves. Hopefully this discussion will bring the problem to the forefront, and those who can spare a few hours once a month, will become active in their own communities.

I'm really glad you took what I typed how I meant it. I am very grateful that they are clearing given I live only a few miles away from that Church and considerably less if you go via the route of a bird. And I have spent a lot of time clearing buckthorn from my property and do get a little frustrated with all the seed that gets pooped out from birds flying overhead that sprouts. If that clearing moves beyond mere "clearing" to include an actual restoration project in which habitat is created, more power to them. I already picked up that they were not using the words with the same meaning I would apply to them but they did indicate they wanted to use native plants to create a child friendly environment for kids to run around. I can appreciate that.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

This looks like it would be so much fun to get in there and see what you could do... Maybe you can get them to make some trails in parts of it so the area might not be child safe but the trails would be great fun to run up and down and between. It is great that a church would want to take part and do something like that - not what I hear from churches around here...

Anyway if there is something I can do to help let me know, there are some things we here can do, just let me know! I have my own little project but love to help where I can.

Mitch

The process as described to me is that the Elders will discuss it. From there the Elders will schedule another meeting to propose something and then it will go to a vote. Probably months off from anything happening over there but meanwhile... they are hitting the buckthorn hot and heavy. I love the smell of burning buckthorn. Makes my heart leap with joy. What I'd like to do is loan them one of our weed wrenches. They'd be able to get considerably farther with either one of those as opposed to digging up these beasts which is their current practice. They're avoiding the use of chemicals which should be applauded. They're also getting pretty scratched up removing all the Barberry. I've driven by a few times and they are giving it their all.

Hey Mitch, you're kinda far away but I will share your name with them the first opportunity I am afforded. I know you might be in a position to share some possible resources that I might not even know existed. What do you have going on for a little project? Anything I can help you with?

Say Mitch, you are familiar with a weed wrench... right?
http://www.canonbal.org/weed.html
They work! I swear they work!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I just might be able to help - you never know what they might need,,

Weed Wrench I have never seen... but guess what I have to have Santa bring me now!

Yes, I suspect you might be in a position to help and I know you understand the process by which they will be making their decisions far better than I.

If you are under 150 lbs, definitely ask Santa for the light version. If you are more like 175lbs or bigger, you might want to ask Santa for the medium version if most of what you will be removing is around 1"-2" calliper. I struggled using the medium version. A little bit too big for me. I know it claims it is a medium version but you'd have to see the size of these tools. Even the light is large and cumbersome. Usually my husband comes in and takes out what I can't get out on my own with my light with his medium but he's around 200lbs and is putting his weight into it. The medium can take out larger trees and shrubs but I don't necessarily know if that's necessary as most larger trees can be chainsawed down and stump treated. The medium can't take out some of the saplings that are a smaller calliper plants. I think if we could have only one of these tools, we'd both opt for the light model.

Here's another little something you might want to ask Santa for-
http://www.flameengineering.com/Weed_Dragon.html

You should start a thread on your little project.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Santa better think I have been a good boy this year... so many new toys to get and work with..

So by that I will need the large size.. I might break the medium - (just a little over 200... more or less)

I am going to be working at this myself at the same time at least we might be able to swap helps. I do have www.texasstar.org that helps me when they have photos and ties me back into Daves Plantfiles at the same time.

I'm sure Santa will have you on his good boy list.

The medium or the light will work for you. Pick your weapon and arm yourself!

Be careful with that site, first thing that jumped out at me was Ox-Eye Daisy but I'm sure if that's present there will be others. Other than that, it looks like a fun site. Yup, we can swap helps.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Right, it lists the ones that are here and the one that are native to here. She (the owner) is a member here on Daves, any errors I just feed over to her and she fixes them or not depending on her mood... at least it gives me a good list to work from.

Oh ahhhhhhhh, a list where the creator took the time to denote whether a plant is indigenous or not! How cool is that. That type of a list definitely lets ya know what not to plant based on what has already naturalized and has a foothold in the environment. Personally, I liked the home page and the way it was set up simply and elegantly in that the opening statement was this with soft background music,
"Friend
May the beauty of God’s creation bring joy to your heart
and a smile to your face"
It was the stated gardening philosophy that got me hooked.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Yep - she really put some work into it... and on the plus side she adds the plant to the plant files too when needed. She said she needs to add over 6000 more grasses and sedges, not to mention the pile of trees I found for her...

Needless to say I keep her busy adding this or changing that... She just found us each an Amorpha Fruitifica ( I think I speeled that right...) She loves to find me strange and weird plants that are native for our landscapes.

Close, very close- Amorpha fruticosa. What a neat friend.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Very neat, my garden angel... she is the one who gave me my first natives and showed me the way towards a more natural way of growing things.

Who is this garden angel? Have you ever bought her a garden angel to thank her? I found one made out of terra cotta and it was blowing kisses. I wanted so badly to buy one for each of my garden angels but I didn't have enough space in my luggage to get them back home with me.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Frostweed - Josephine just a gem - older then my mother but a real gem...

Better then a angel - a garden saint. St Rosa de Lima - the saint of gardens and flowering plants. ,,

Awwwwwww, frostweed is the creator of that site I like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.