Trillium from Nurseries (and other native plants)

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

There's a co-op afoot now to buy Trillium species from a nursery in Tennessee. Someone mentioned a PlantFiles comment that said it's unlikely these plants are profitable to propagate commercially, and therefore are likely to be gathered in the wild. The comment in plantfiles referred to a species, not a particular nursery. (T. undulatum)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/98939/index.html

What do you think? Seeds, tissue culture, dividing rhizomes, or 'harvested' from the wild? Any way to know? The nursery's site the co-op is through doesn't say, it's really a wholesale pricelist, not a catalog site.

http://tennesseewholesalenursery.com/

Anyhow, it's more of a general kind of question about native plants from nurseries. I suppose I could e-mail the company and ask, but that might not work. I think I have a good spot to try these plants, and I'm not the only person wondering about this. If the co-op goes through, there'll probably be questions about growing these plants, too.
Thanks for your help!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Did any of you look this company up on the GardenWatchdog? They have a completely negative rating.

Excellent comment dmj1218!
Ouch!
Big Ouch!
http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/2281/

I suppose whether they wild collect or not is a moot point. I was going to suggest that someone contact them and ask how they are propagating their material however I doubt seriously if that approach would be effective.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Maybe more worth the time to call one ofthe other two nuseries that Plantfiles listed for thatplant. I would hope that an honest, non=wild collecting place would be able to talk a little technical about how they propagate, to reassure you, without giving out any secrets totheir business. Hopefully? Maybe some pics on their site showing propagation in progress? I think that's what I would do if I were the nursery. How do the honest ones show their honesty?

I just have a great love for the native plants of the USA and hate for anyone to get turned off to them by a poor nursery experience.
Debbie

Thornton, IL

The Natural Garden in St Charles, IL is upfront that they propagate from seed collected within a 90 mile radius from their nursery. Any reputable nursery will tell you how and where they get their plants from. Harvesting from the wild, (except in the case of plant rescues, like maybe if a highway is being expanded, for example) is not ethical.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I didn't see the nursery in watchdog, probably because I spelled Tennessee with one "S" instead of two. I know collecting plants in the wild is unethical, that's why I asked. The co-op was cancelled, apparently because of this thread? Whatever...I guess that's just as well, if asking a simple question derails it so easily.

My question is now moot from the standpoint of the co-op, but the question remains, about trillium in particular and native plants in general. sallyg, I'll try your suggestion, and I'm still interested knowing more about this subject. Like what plants are unlikely to be propagated by a nursery? Names of native plant places that are known to be responsible, or otherwise?

Thanks

Cincinnati, OH

Wholesale 100
The plants are propagated by Whatever. At least the ones I bought. Chimaphila is a difficult plant, mine haven't done well. The ferns haven't popped up, but they were planted very late. The Grand Trillium, just planted, aren't expected until spring. Right now it is wait and see.
Larry

I imagine the coop was cancelled due to negative rating of the vender.

Thornton, IL

That is an excellent question, since I am sure that there are many more sources than those in Garden Watchdog. I have heard nothing but good things about The Natural Garden in St. Charles, IL, yet have not purchased from them personally (but my botany professor has). If at least every state responded, we might be able to get a good list up of sources for native plant material. Assuming native means North American native for these purposes.

I found a good seed co. for you more "northern" neighbors--Blue Moon Nursery--seeds while looking for a specific seed. I could name many places for seed if we wanted to start a list.

Please do the honors of starting a new thread!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.