Putting the Garden to Bed

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Do you have any special fall tasks that you dread when it's time to put your garden to sleep for the winter?

I dread digging my cannas every year and dragging them to the basement to dry for next spring. I have to get them out while the ground is dry, or the fall rains will turn my beds to a taffy pulling contest. I only plant a FEW, but I end up with LOTS! (That's little ol' me just reclining on the big pile of roots. :) Ha Ha )

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Another chore is tossing all the little statues on a wagon and bringing them into the garage. The snow, ice, freeze & thaw of an Iowa winter is tough on cement.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Stop playing with your barbie's and get to work.

I do have plenty of things to lift and bring in.With the cold fall I am done outside, I even got all the beds worked up. I do have winter protection to put up, that I dread because I always wait to do it late. I saw that I have rabbits eating on one of my hydrangeas already.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's because you have special rabbits there Al--if we can't play with our Barbies, what's next? =)

Snow? My Barbie would have frozen to death!

Al, do you fill your greenhouse with delicate plants or new starts?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Debbie - I don't have a G rated answer for you ;)

Wanda - My house is green - good guess. I start stuff early on my unheated porch in April - that's about it.

it's like Christmas here

Thumbnail by bigcityal

We had a spit of snow the other day, but it all melted. A little sleet yesterday, but nothing stayed. Is that holly I see?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That's my little China Girl. Speaking of rabbits - something chewed a branch off that too, I thought hollies were poisonous.

Are the rabbits getting destructive already in your area? We had a bumper crop of them again this summer.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

There has been one hanging around that side of the house since fall. It is within viewing range of my rabbit dog that whines at them all night ;)
I've got plenty of hardware cloth to put up, so I should get started I guess.

Our dog chases them, but the darn thing go THRU the chain link fence. Kind of like a vanishing act--can't figure out how a rabbit that big can get thru a hole that small...

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have had some hand to hand victories myself with them. Speaking of victories - how 'bout those Badgers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.