olive tree propagation

Rocklin, CA(Zone 9b)

has anyone had any luck propagating an olive tree / i have great olive recipes and it would be very cool if i had my own olive tree

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

if you want a olive tree I have the olive tree shrub

Rocklin, CA(Zone 9b)

does the olive tree shrub have good olives for eating? / how easily does it propagate from cuttings or from root sections / stevenjohn

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi StevenJohn, I have tried several times to do cuttings without success. I believe I wasn't using enough sand in the mix but this link might be helpful: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/olive.html

I also don't think I had enough strong light. It looked like my cuttings got damping off so using a rooting hormone with fungicide might help.

Rocklin, CA(Zone 9b)

thanx growin / will try to get some cuttings from trees in my area / great site / thanx for the link / stevenjohn

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't think the shrubby "olive" is really an olive, there are other genera such as Eleagnus and Osmanthus which go by the common name olive, but even if they produce something edible I don't think it's the same thing you're looking for. I've read that they (the real olives) can be grown from cuttings, so that's probably the best way to go. And they grow really well here in CA so if you can get it to root successfully you should be home free!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.