Mexican Flame Vine

Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a question about Mexican Flame Vine if someone could help me please.
which part is the true seed? I see the fluff and I see small seeds that look like Marigold seeds.
Does anyone have the info. I did searches but came up with very little info.
Thanks! Tricia

Thumbnail by gardengirl1960
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Tricia,
Sorry don't know about the seed, just wanted to say that is beautiful :)
Connie

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Bump!Bump!! Please,this is too beautiful,not to know how to pass this on,and maybe share a few seeds,with others, who are salavating.I feel some one knows.Thanks,in advance. Mike

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

GG,
I came across this in a different site.
I am including the link and what was said. it may help...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/butterfly/msg0216450916545.html?24

I checked with a nursery about the seeds. The seeds are underneath the fluff. They look like a small dried petal with a dark seed hooked to it. They are very difficult to grow from seed. I've never had any luck.

Next time watch for fading bloom before the frost, to save some seed heads.

Connie

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Tricia-
I've tried them from seed, too...no luck either time..

I wish you better luck than I had! However, they are super easy from cuttings. Often they'll root in just a cup of water...
-T

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Do you guys in colder zones grow them as annuals? PF says it's only hardy to Zone 9a.

Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

I am going to try by seed but also will be looking for the plant so I can make a lot of cuttings!:) I love to make cuttings.
Tricia

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I have some seeds of this plant if anyone has any suggestions of how to germinate them.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

gardengirl...I just bought this vine and haven't planted it yet. I've never grown one before. Your picture looks beautiful. Any tips? How big does yours get?

Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

Well I think it grows great in our 9a zone. I have made many cuttings from it and plan to make a lot more.
VERY easy to root... just love this plant!!!
Tricia

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Wonderful! Do you just root your cuttings in water? I'd like to do that as well. It really is pretty. I've been looking for one for about a year and a half and when I finally saw it, I grabbed it as fast as I could. Does yours attract lots of hummers and bf's?

I took a dried flower head last week and tried to see the seed. Very little.

Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes both but and hummers. I root in good potting soil. This is a VERY easy plant to root . In about 1 week.
We hit 29 degrees a few weeks back and it did not even freeze. Thank goodness we are getting 70-80s temps now. I need sunshine:)!!
I am not an orange person but these blooms are BREATHTAKING!!
Tricia

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't wait to plant it.

North Augusta, ON

very pretty, and popular as well, I searched plant files for it and both vendors with this plant are all of a sudden sold out...lol...imagine that....

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I planted mine today. Whoo Hoo! I can't wait until this gorgeous thing takes off.

Gardengirl - does yours climb naturally over the fence or did you have to use something to support it? I had an old wrought iron trellis in the shed and put that out in the bed before I planted it but I'm wondering if that was necessary. (I'd like to use the trellis for something I'm certain will need it).

What about spread? How wide does yours get? Mine is near a Rangoon Creeper and I don't want one to over power another.

My goal is to have every ounce of fence in my yard hidden by vines within the next 2 years. I've staretd so many seedlings of various vines but this is by far, my favorite. I'm not an orange person either.

Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know the spread but it is large! You will have no problem within 2 years and just think about all the cuttings you can make:)) if it gets out of control.
Tricia

I have looked for this vine, and or seed, and I might as well look for dentures for a chicken.Vendors are out, and it might even be too late for seed, but I'm open for next season.Would fall planting work here in z-7, or will I need to wait for spring 08, that is assuming I find a vender.Any help will be a blessing.Thank you,Mike

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't answer your question about a fall planting but I'd certainly be happy to start you a cutting for this season. It seems to be a pretty fast grower.

That would be very nice, and I will recipricate, with what it may take.I fell in love with this plant, when I first read this thread.D-mail me for futher plans. Thanks so much, Mike

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I used to have this vine. I loved it, but it was only half hardy here..The second winter finally got it..Rootsin soil super easy..As for the seeds, I have never know them to be viable..

Larkie
It bloomed so late in the season here that frost got many of the beautiful blooms..

I hope thats not the case, but I'm in a worst zone than you, Larkie.I had no idea that it blooms so late in the year, but I am still compelled to try it.BTW I hope the little clerodendrums made it.You will like them, I know. Mike

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Mike,
It survuved the winter just fine.. It is well leafed out and really growing. ty..

Larkie

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Trish i belive your vine is the Brazilian Flame vine its Beautfull heres a pic of mine

Thumbnail by phicks
Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi In my area it is called Mexican Flame vine... but diff. areas might have quite a few nicknames.
We did have a day of 20's this year...very rare to have a winter day so cold since I live by the Gulf of Mexico but it NEVER hurt my plant.
It is doing well!
Tricia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.