yesterday's slow progress

Crozet, VA

I have many little sticky notes all over my desk of things to be done. Most are garden related. I have become a weather watching nut recently. I have to plan the days now that I can be outside. Earlier this week we had several days of rain. Yesterday and supposedly today will be gorgeous sunny days and in the 70 degree range. Yummy!!! Yesterday was beautiful but too wet to do much in terms of gardening. Hopefully today it will have dried enough for me to begin digging the bulbs that I need to dig for the winter.

I was able to pot up two medium size urns with dianthus. I had never heard of or seen a dianthus until last fall when I bought a couple at Walmart. They stayed green all winter and really put on some good shows of bright blooms through out the summer. I have them sitting in front of where I park my car and I will be able to see them and some violas that rebloomed from last year too.

I didn't have a chance last week to tell you folks about my "find" at Lowe's. I went in with a list in hand and of course, per my habit, filled my shopping cart with things NOT on the list. ha-ha. This happens at grocery store too. Anyway, I mosied over to the garden center and kept seeing signs for $1. They had some really lovely pansys and some mums for this price. As I mosied further I saw window boxes full of an assortment of plants. Each pot had at least six or more different types of plants in it. These too were marked for $1. I couldn't believe it. The pot was worth way more than that. I just had to pick out the three lovliest ones. ha-ha. They too are sitting on the steps to my porch where I get a good look when getting out of my car. Their beauty is always good for a pick-me-up. I am not familiar with any of the names of the plants. They are mostly annuals I would think and I haven't done much research on annuals.

My bay window is supposed to be delivered today. Let's hope that they have the correct size this time. I have enjoyed having the garden window in my kitchen though. Oh yeah, almost forgot the two indoor plants that were marked 50 cents at Lowe's. One is called a money tree and had been $14.99. It looks to be in very good health. I don't know how I lucked out on that one. The other is also a bonsai type of tree. Once again, I thought the ceramic pots they were in were worth 50 cents.

I might have taken pics last week and will look and post later if I did. If not, I will try to get around to taking some this weekend to share.

I hope that everyone will have a safe, happy and healthy weekend. If I haven't done so already, a great big thank you to rcn48 for sharing her weekend trip with us last week. So fun looking at the pics from Harpers.

Ruby

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Oh Ruby, I like dianthus have several different kinds. Like to plant them around mu water garden as they are very well behaved plants. After the first flush of blooms i give them a hair cut and they will rebloom for me. I have one called Tiny Rubies Its a dwarf plant and the flowers are no bigger the a babies fingernail.

www.bluestoneperennials.com has lots of dianthus

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

ruby- I am terribly so jealous of your Lowe's bargains!!!!!!!! like you said the pots alone justify it. the blooms on the plants at purchase (if any) justify it. but getting something that will probably come back in the spring, and for years, and swap, and be a new thing to learn about-- priceless!!
I also shop at the grocery, with a list of five and a purchase of twenty items. I say I'm just so efficient...

Crozet, VA

You are a cutie sally.

Ruby

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

aw shucks~~~~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.