Park's Seed sale

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Park's is having a 35% off sale.

But at $6.95 postage for a single pack of seeds, I'm going to pass. Thought I'd pass the word along , anyway.

Karen

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmmm.... I could use another set of their Perma-Nest plant trays, though... and that would take care of the postage issue!

Thanks!

Byron, GA

I use their biodomes so I was able to stock up on the sponge inserts for spring. The big one can be used for propagating cuttings, also.

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

I've been looking at that biodome. What are the sponge inserts made of? Do you plant insert and plant together in spring? Have you tried peat pellets. Is this better? Just curious. Thanks for comments.

Byron, GA

I don't know what the sponges are made of but they look, feel and absorb water like a sponge. I plant the whole thing when my seedlings outgrow their space. I've used peat pellets, also but seed germination has not been as reliable as with the sponges. I believe the sponges allow for more air circulation and I've had no problems with damping off. With the peat pellets, I don't dare allow them to sit in water but with the sponges and the foam insert, I have often found the roots dangling in the water with no ill effects. I ordered a whole bunch of the refills and will use these instead of the pellets this planting season. The biggest problem that I will have is finding enough space under the lights. The dome is high to allow for the seedlings to grow and this prevents getting the seedlings close enough to the light to keep them from stretching. I start them under lights but move them to the greenhouse as soon as possible. I don't use them for all seeds, just zinnias, salvias, and seeds that are large enough to handle. I still sow many seeds in flats and transplant to cell packs, like those that need light to germinate and/or too fine to pick up. Hope this helps.

Digs

This message was edited Nov 10, 2006 9:37 PM

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Interesting. I think those sponges are also used for cuttings -- like dahlias. Digs, are they like oasis -- th sponge foam for fflower arranging -- at all?

Suzy

Byron, GA

Suzy,
Kinda, sorta but more stable and it remembers its shape. Oasis is not as pliable as the sponges and there is no forgiveness if you want to reposition your cutting. You might have trouble sticking soft stems in the oasis without them bending, also. I've never used the sponges for cuttings. They seem too small for the cuttings I usually take but I may try some in the jumbo size.

Digs

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm glad I didn't order those trays last week... Park's is having 35%+ off site-wide sale now through November 21. I ordered a bunch of perma-nest trays to replace those flimsy black ones, and I might have clicked on a couple of seed packets while I was at it, LOL. I'm going to use the old black trays outside for WS containers and to hold containers of perennials that are growing a bit bigger before being planted out... Many of mine already have small holes at the corners, and I'll poke a couple of holes in the ones that don't. This makes it very easy to bottom water with the hose or to let the rain water them without worrying that they will sit in two inches of water... the water drains out slowly, and all the pots get a chance to soak up a good drink.

My new 11x22" trays were a little under $4 each including shipping (which gets charged according to the non-sale price, not your total after the discount)... what a great deal!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.