Lantana seeds?

Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

I have a couple of lantana bushes, and they are now covered with these berries, which now after the frost they have turned black. My question is, do these berries contain seeds, and are they viable?? Thanks John

Thumbnail by carrjohn
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi John

Here is a link, has a picture of the seeds, scroll to find Lantana I think its the 2nd or 3rd picture... http://theseedsite.co.uk/db12.html

Connie

Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Connie, I have hundreds of seeds . John

Dover, NJ

Hi John,

Yes, there are seeds inside the berries. However, some lantanas make seeds that are not viable. Or they may sprout, but not look like the parent. I have a large bush like lantana that makes thousands of seeds that are true to type. To clean them, I wrap them in 2 or 3 paper towels, and then roll them around. This will break the skin of the berries, and absorb most of the pulp. Then I rinse them well under running water, and pick out the clean ones (some will still have parts of the berry attached. Let them dry for a few weeks, and then store them.

Mark

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Too much trouble for me. I just pick the berry's, let 'em dry, stratify in fridge, then when I'm ready to sow I just nick the seed and soak in water overnight then plant in soil. Works for me.

FrauSnow

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

I have the yellow lantana vine. Will I get the same berries or will it not produce seeds. I am trying to post a photo that will show what the lantana looked like yesterday after the petals fell off.

Thanks,

Chuck

Thumbnail by CBernard
Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Hopefully this next one will be clearer...

Thanks,

Chuck

Thumbnail by CBernard
Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

I am also trying to get seeds from a red lantana bush that I planted in October. Will it get the berries also?

Thanks,

Chuck

Thumbnail by CBernard
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Chuck.. you should get some seeds if you've got butterflie s or bees or somethign to pollinate your blooms. Very pretty Lantana. They root well from cuttings. Much faster and alot easier. You also get true to type plants that way.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Do the pips start out green and then turn black? I have seen these green balls on the end of mine and was wondering what they were.

Thanks,

Pupil

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, Pupil, start green the turn black, I bought a plant 'on sale' that had lots of seeds soon, it's pink with a yellow center, hope the seeds grow true.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks rent,
That is exactly what I did. I also just bought 2 more. I can't stop when it comes to Lantana.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Boy, did I find the right thread. I love lantanas and would give a finger, (Can't give the whole hand, have to have it to turn compost.} to have some seeds. I love the yellow ones, but just haven't had access to other colors.

I would love to trade something or pay for some seed. So, please if you have extra seeds would you let me know I don't have a lot to trade as I am new at this, but I can trade what I have or send postage etc.

Thanks, Lorraine

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Interesting I'll have to look for berries.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

OMG, Lorraine, I hit the Motherlode with mine -- red. I can also send cuttings if you send me a big enough envelope to make it worth your while.

I'm in the address exchange.

Suzy

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Chuck ~ in my experience, the trailing Lantana do not produce seed. They propagate by root division or cuttings. I have the purple and have also had yellow. Neither one has produced seed. There may be some other varieties of trailing Lantana that will reproduce by seed. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2042/

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, podster,

I haven't had any seeds. The yellow lantana is deciduous in our area which is interesting as we don't have a lot of plants to do this. I now have three of the golden lantanas. I planted two in spring and the one from last year reappeared late spring. I am going to take cuttings this year from all three plants.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

My purple does the same here. In a mild winter, the foliage turns a purplish green and will remain without a frost.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I can't believe it my old, scrubby Lantana plant is starting to put on flowers ? ?
I bought it from Lowels two months ago because it had lots of berries (seeds).
I've kept it outside (i'ts in a pot) and the wind would blow it over, I would move it...
Well now it has flowers I have it in the green house.

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Podster, Sometimes I get my terms mixed up...I said deciduous...I meant that my lantanas actually go dormant. Actually I am not so sure if deciduous is not the same thing. Today I am going to try to set out some cuttings on my Golden Lantanas and Lavender Lady Passionvines.

Sorry,

Chuck

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I have a gorgeous mainly red with a bit of orange and yellow in the center sprawling all over my front sidewalk. I bought it in July at the farmers market for $1.29 in a 4 inch pot. Lazy me decided not to plant it right away (it's hot in July:lol:) and just set it in the flowerbed beneath some other stuff. It never made it out of the pot and into the ground so it just decided to root into the bed without my help:) It's now about 3 ft wide and about a foot tall and loaded with flowers still. Not as generous with the seeds as others I've had though. I'll have to see what I can get off of it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.