lycoris squamigera question for southern folks

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

what's the hottest place these bulbs will bloom? who in the south has had success with blooms? thanks. barb

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Barb-
Do you mean hottest zone, or do you mean hottest spot (like next to concrete)?

I grow them in 8a, so you should have no problem growing them, also.
-T

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

taylor, you mean they bloom where you are? i am so happy to hear that. i just read somewhere that these might not bloom in the south.

and i meant hottest zone.............. but you made me laugh. writing has been a dying art for a long time and who would have thought computers would make it necessary to regain clearness in the written word. lol. barb

Yes, they lycoris love it here. (except for this past year, since we've had such a drought.)
-T
Here is a summer bloomer:

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

and a Fall bloomer:

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i am so glad to see that picture. is your pink one a lycoris? it doesn't look like spider lilies? and does it have blue on the ends? isn't that the variety they call haywardii? isn't squamigera an all pink that looks just like the radiata? gotta go get that list for you.

Yes, they are both lycoris.

The red one is positively lycoris radiata.

The pink one is in debate, lol...It was received in trade as Lycoris Sprengeri, which is a pink with blue tips. I posted it on the ID forum and many people still said it was L. squamigera.

I still wonder, because I have a patch of L. squamigera that is solid, solid pink. Never a blue tint, at all.

These with blue are electric blue, just like the descriptiions I've read about the sprengeri, so who knows.

I know I like the blue tinted one best!!
-T

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well the flower is different too, right? at least it appears different from the photo. wanna trade a yellow one for the electric blue one?

I'd love some yellow. I don't have any white, yellow, or orange, yet...

Do you have any orange, or white?

Need any more red?
-T

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I love those red spider lilies but the only trouble is that I forget where I planted them and end up digging them up when I plant something else. One of these days I will get my act together....... They grow well here in Houston.

Ann

I'm not even a big fan of red, but just can't help enjoying them when they pop up. They are so bright, and usually bloom when most everything else is winding down...
-T

Nevada, TX(Zone 8a)

Barb,
I grow lycoris squamigera and they do very well for me. Great spring foliage, pure pink flowers around late June, early July. They require no special care and multiply easily.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well RED is my favorite color in a flower. lol. and no, i don't need any more red. the reds grow under the iris, on top of themselves and practically in the air here. and the chopped ones i have grow and bloom too. can't hardly dig in some places without hitting them. i bought 3 yellow this spring and already they have made 5. no blooms yet though.

Where did you buy them? I found a trustworthy site to order from, but by the time I got ready to order, they'd already sold out. :0(

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i got them off ebay. dont' remember who.

ah...

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

is that an "ah" i am still interested or an "ah" i'd rather not? hahaha won't hurt my feelings if you don't want to trade bulbs.

LOL...that is an "ah, I see...so no way for me to follow your lead, and buy more" kind of "ah", lol

I'd love one yellow, but would love a half dozen, even more!, lol...
-T

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

me too. but my 3 are now 5. and the foliage on these yellows is a lot bigger than the reds. i can't remember for sure but i think these are taller, too. well i got my squamigera planted today. i traded 3 of them for some schoolhouse lilies. to a texas girl and told her i didn't know if they would bloom for us or not. now i can write her and tell her that they bloom in plain 'o texas so they ought to for us too.

o.k. one of these yellows is yours. still getting a list. may not do it today but tomorrow. instead of mailing this time would you meet me at like the home depot in plano to swap? want to? or mcdonald's or somewhere. that also won't hurt my feelings if you choose not to do that. just lmk. barb

LOL...is that "plain 'o Texas" a ribbing of "Plano, Tx", lol...

I get that all the time. Some one will say "where are you from". I'll answer "Plano, Tx.". They'll say, ok, but where in texas??", lol...then I'll say Plano, Tx, not "plain ole Texas"..., lol...

Home Depot sounds great to me! That way you can have those clematis in their pots, and they won't have to be disturbed...
Are you that close??...guess I don't really know where Fate is...
-T

ps-
took me a bit, but just finally found a good map online...looks like you are about the same distance from me, as Mesquite!

So, would you say you are about 30 mins away?(if there is no traffic, lol)

I normally wouldn't just meet someone like that, but we've traded before and it is a public place, so I have no problem with that, at all.

I'll look for your email list when you get it ready. I need to go write my daylilies down for you, also...
-T

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i got your daylily list. are those the ones you are wanting or the ones you have? and the iris that you already have? which of the clematis texensis varieties do you have available if i can come up with enough for you. and we are trading one lycoris bulb each..........how many of those sprengeri's do you have? can you trade 2?

I'll write you on the email. I keep thinking THIS is our email, but it is your public thread, lol...
-T

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i hate when i do this! let's get off this one so don't write back. wanna talk about somebody while we're here?

Lol...

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Barb, This particular lycoris performs the poorest out of Lycoris radiata var. radiata, Lycoris albiflora, and Lycoris traubii for me. Notice the zones on it are usually 7 or 8. It either doesn't like the humidity or warm winter temps down here--but this is just my experiences. And be careful of the lycoris radiata varieties you get--freshly imported ones don't do near as well as the older naturalized varieties either.
Debbie

Deb-
If you ever want to swap some of your albiflora or traubii, please let me attempt to persuade you. Ü
-T

Well, what can you tempt me with? I'm generally pretty easy Taylor. =)

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well if you are trading with taylor i want to trade too. i am pouting and my bottom lip is out cause i know taylor has better goodies than i. lol. and debbie i will probably never have to buy lycoris radiata. i have hundreds of them. but what is wrong with the imported ones?

Barb-You always make me laugh, lol...

Deb-Yes, please tell us. I almost bought some imported ones from Bulbmeister, but they ran out of bulbs by the time I finally had the money to buy them.
-T

ps-
Just found this:
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/00871.html

apparently hawardyii has the wispy thin petal look of radiata, with the color and blue tips of sprengeri.

So I definitely don't have the haywardii, because mine were more the wide petals and shape of squamigera, but with blue tips.

-T

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i haven't forgotten you. my son has been sick with asthma going on 2 wks. both he and my daughter are home from school today. and for the last 2 wks. starting at noon i receive phone calls from the school about my son and his symptoms about every 30 min. i am going nuts. i hate texas wind. hated it before and now it always makes my son sick.

hawardii is cool though, huh? but you have sprengeri i think. you are on my mind minute by minute and that list so please be patient with me. tomorrow my sister is off and wants to shop. bah, humbug. i am too busy to look for christmas presents. i threaten every year to change christmas gift giving to jan. anyway as that's when the sales are. i am sick of american capitalism and new inventions for music and phones and tv's because my kids always want every one. and don't forget the game machines. i am awful i know but good grief enough is enough.

The difference between the two radiata's is that one's a diploid the other is a triploid--one is better suited for growth, more adapted--Taylor, you do know where to get that info don't you? If not, dmail me.

Mama--as you know, I'm really not into trading these days unless someone has something real unusual I don't have.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i know debbie and i will some day. lol.

Barb-
Yes, the haywardii is reallyl cool. I love the "spidery" look like that of L. radiata. I always have, but don't like red. A pink version would suite me well!, lol...

Sorry about your son's asthma. I have severe allergies, despite already having had sinus surgery. I get a sinus infection every time the winds blows, too, so I know what he's going through...

Drs. said the best thing to do is move, lol...

I found a site today that has some cool ones. I need to hurry up and buy some before they run out. They have haywardii and the houdyshellii I've been wanting, too.
http://www.telosrarebulbs.com/OtherPartsWorld.html
-T

Good Company Taylor--if they are still shipping

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

have yall ever seen a peach colored one? it is elsaia or some such.

you know i was a R.N. for 20 years. even worked in plano taylor. but i still thought allergies were mostly in people's heads until i moved to texas. i don't get allergy symptoms very much but when i do i feel it is my punishment for doubting people all those years.

LOl...you are a riot.

You'd be a lot more sympathetic to all those people now, wouldn't you, lol...Allergies and asthma, can be truly miserable...but, I'm sure your son has already told you.

I treated patients for 11 years. I know some certainly exaggerate for attention, some really just have it bad. It is usually easy to tell the difference, but not always.

Yes, I did see that peach one. SO pretty...I want them all, lol...
-T

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

where did you see it? on ebay from rare bulbs?

what field of medicine were you in?

You know I used to think those ads on TV for dry eyes were just a "hokey" way of getting money out of folks for yet another pharmaceutical product. Recently they put me on a decongestant along with an antibiotic to stop the sinus cough I have. Now, it did nothing to dry up my sinus' mind you, but it has dried my eyes out so bad they are constantly burning. I will never doubt a TV add again--lol

Mamajack--my fall allergies are so bad I have to do the shots thing and even with all the testing I still have managed to get 2 sinus infections this fall. Of course I work in a middle school.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.