On the Move!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Buying a home and moving in November is scary enough with the potential for bad weather and all, but when you have a good sized garden, yikes!

I was so fortunate to have 5 angels descend upon my garden to help move it. Right to left is:
Sue (llilyfan)
Lori (McGlory)
Susan (Lincolnitess)
Wanda (wandasflowers)
Me
Maribah (hygrangea80)

Thumbnail by Moby
Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

How would you compare the new to the old garden?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

How do you mean ~ size, shape..? The new garden is huge, the old was borders ALL around the house and fence.

The gals dug right in, placing each plant in a bag.

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Bags, bags and more bags!! This was perhaps a third of the total ~

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Then it was off to the new house with the goods. I soooo wish I had a pony....

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Everyone quickly got busy ~ even DH joined in on the fun.

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

DH manned the tiller, and thankfully Sue had the foresight to bring it! (the tiller-man I hired didn't do such a great job)

Who knew there would be sooo much sand in an old horseshoe pit??

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And then it was done. Whew!! How good it is to be blessed with friends!

Boy, have I ever got some big favors to repay.....

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is the 'before' picture ~

Thumbnail by Moby
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Wow Moby, I need to keep up on things a little better! Congrats on the move and just look at all of that space!!!! I'm so glad you had help, the prospect of doing that alone would have given me a heart attack! Do you expect to have any trouble wintering the newly planted garden?
Vicki

I am adding new plants here and there but I am not sure how long I will be here. Are there new people in your old place? I am kind of adding plants for curb appeal, but at the same time I never know how the new owners will treat the plants. I will definitely take the lilies,well at least some if I should move.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Well, yes, I am a little worried about plants surviving the winter, but what can you do? :) Not that you weren't paying attention, this house deal came up very suddenly and couldn't be passed up.

Heart attack is right! LOL

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I took everything that is special to me, which was pretty much everything, as I've been here for 11 years. We'll still be in this house til the end of the month so from here the rest will be easy. I figure if the new tennants are gardners then they'll have some nice beds to use.

Not trying to be nosy but did you rent? If I ever put my house up for sale trying to figure out how to deal with the plants legally. Maybe put in an exclusion. I can see it now, man gets sued for taking plants from yard after house sale :*)

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Why to go Moby !

somewhere, PA

DG is just such a wonderful place filled with terrific people!

congratulations on the new house Moby.

Intercessor - when I sold my last house, I put a clause in the sales
agreement (making sure my real estate agent told the prospective
buyer first) that I would be taking some plants the following spring.
(I signed the agreement of sale in Jan. so no way to dig & move
plants). It worked out very well as the new owner was excited to
have me stop over to walk her through the plantings. She was not
a gardener and welcomed the advice I had to share.

Tam

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Moby, it looks like a beautiful plot there. What work all of the tilling and planting are. Wow, 1/3 of the bags total in the photo. Good thing yo9u had friends over. Did DH provide that great meal you were intending too? Wow. Impressive work, fellow gardeners! It looks just great!

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

A huge congrats to you. Looks like a wonderful huge yard to garden to your hearts content in. Good for you! How wonderful for you that your DG friends helped you so much. They all deserve their wings now!

"Many hands make light work" is the old saying but I don't think whoever made that statement was speaking of gardening to your scale though. lol

Lani

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Intersessor, when we sold our farm, there was a clause in the sales agreement that I could move any or all of my plants.
I moved perhaps 75 plants by my self, as DH was busy with the farm. I did chores and then started digging.
We hauled up clay from the farm, tilled in loads into the blow sand, around 3 times. I now have flower beds, but no bottom to hold water. Rain runs right thru the mixed up sand!

Ok I suppose as long as everything is clearly written on my part. Thanks for the info.

Nice big yard Moby!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yes, I'm moving from a rental. The day after I gave notice, the landlord called and said he was bringing a realtor over. He said we'd been so good and done so much he couldn't stand the thought of taking on new tenants so he decided to sell.

"Many hands make light work" ~ I have that on a spoon rest! Very true and something I believe in wholeheartedly though I'm not accustomed to such an outpouring. Especially when most of these gals came some distance! So hubby and I did our best to feed them well ~ I managed breakfast with DH's chili for lunch. Wish they all could have stayed for the smoked brisket dinner. :) Mmm...mmmm!

Thanks for the kind wishes, everyone.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Moby, Congratulations! What a lovely yard. Looks huge and I hope we get to see more pics soon as you settled a bit... No wonder you are tired! Those helpers look familiar... lol... What great friends to come and help ya out. Did ya have to move far? And did ya update your DG addy?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Not too far ~ 2 blocks! I'll get my addy updated soon.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

It was so much fun to be able to help Moby with her move and get to spend some time with fellow gardeners, some whom I was meeting for the first time. Moby's new yard is wonderful. So large and sunny with a number of nice shrubs and other plants already there. Her old garden was mostly shade or at least part shade and she did very well to get her Iris and daylilies to grow and bloom there, but I think she will be amazed at what a year or two of full sun will do for the size of her plants. I have some photos I will post when I get home from work.

Susan

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Helping was great fun! I teamed up with Wanda and learned a lot in one morning! Moby was kind enough to give me ENORMOUS peonies. The double pink was planted Saturday, and the double burgundy is going in tonight. You all ought to see those! Countless eyes.

Moby, DH said if he'd known you were having kolaches he would have cancelled his other plans. :-) He also loved his iris you sent him. I offered to show him a pic off Plant Files, but he didn't care what it looked like. ;-)

It was a ton of fun. Wish I could have stayed longer. I left my kneeling pad though, so I have to go back. I know where to find you.....

Council Bluffs, IA(Zone 4b)

I had a great time also, and was glad that I was able to help! The food was great, but the company was even better! :)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I wish I'd had more time to just visit with everyone. We even had a surprise visit from my Mom and Judy (jh-gardens) ~ both from neighboring small towns outside of Lincoln. Forgot to get a pic of them too, darn it.

It meant so much to have people come to help, especially on a big football game day. I'm not sure kolaches would would be enough pull for some ~ you have no idea how DH and I were hoping for a 7 pm game. But there's always that upcoming roofing job.... anybody wanna work for beef and beer? ;)

I am only 9 hours away, a small Sunday drive to help roof! :*) What is a kolache?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

9 hours? Pish.... come on down! A kolache (ko-LAH-chee) is a local favorite, it's a Czech sweet roll ~ the dough is like a sweet dinner roll with a big thumbprint filled with jam ~ apple, cherry, lemon, poppyseed, etc.. While you're here you can have a runza, too. That's a Czech pocket sandwich with hamburger, onion and steamed cabbage, seasoned and baked in bread. Wanda and Sue were treated to those Friday night. Maybe for an afternoon snack we'll have jaternice (yetter-nit-see)... but that might be a bit much for a newbie....LOL

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

With jaternice DH would definitely have helped. I'd have stayed home......

Hmmm pork snouts and jowls... I wasn't aware these were considered meat :*)
http://www.crawfordsausage.com/jaternice.shtml
I like lots of spice though...

I have driven/passenger through Lincoln a few times going "out west" on trips.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Meat? That's practically prime rib compared to what goes into hotdogs! lol Yes, Lincoln is a nice town but we don't have a whole lot going on except our Huskers football.

Better get out there and dig some more goodies on this beautiful day ~

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is another photo of the old garden with some of the plants sacked up.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here are Moby and Sue wondering where everything is going to go in the new garden bed.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wanda and Moby's husband Dave in the new garden bed. Moby said it's about 2000 square feet. The was a pile of sand in one spot we tried to spread around. Soil is a nice black loam.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Moby - any idea on how many lilies you and your crew lifted?

Any lutefisk? Oof dah.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Ish dah! No ~ left that behind in Minnesota!

I had purchased 200 bags and we went through them all and then some. Out digging again today, got at least 30 more filled bags with a few plants to go. Almost done except that I need to decide on a spot for the orientals. And the spring bulbs need to be poked in here and there.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

If you need any daffodils just give a yell. They're the ones without the big trumpets.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks, but I think I'll pass ~ I've got my work cut out for me as it is.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Golly, Moby, what a blessing to have your wonderful DG angels to help! Those Iowa girls can really get a job done!

I can't wait to your pictures next spring and summer! Good luck with the rest of the move! t.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.