Playing catch up.

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

Don't really know the answer to that Deb, but I didn't notice any sulfur cats until the plant was blooming. Eggs yes, but no cats. Karen

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I saw them laying for days but didn't see any cats either. The bush stayed with wasp and big ants on it. Think they were eating the eggs

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, that was definitely happening on mine until the flowers bloomed. Then all of a sudden there were like 12 cats.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Great pictures! I don't see why the Buckeye is called common, I never see any lol

That pupa looks like a tobacco hornworm, so maybe a Carolina Sphinx?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm always wondering that same thing myself about the Buckeye! When I see them here I'm running for the camera and telling my son because he loves them too. He likes the big eye-spots.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Definatly Ben's favorite too Paige, the Buckeye, the cats are bristley kindof like frit cats only black on them. I haven't see the cats either, in person. Bit I hope to next Spring.

I am sure wasps get the cats and eggs of many of the BFs, I have seen them attack b4, still researching about ants and other preditors. As I can see by the pics up Donna's thread quite a few can survive the vulnerable stages:-D. Very encouraging!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.