Playing catch up.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

some recent pics I have taken

Common Buckeye- only see them very early spring and fall, some times in winter when we have a very warm day

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Common Buckeye

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Cloudless Sulphur- yellow eating flowers

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Cloudless Sulphur green eating leaves

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

newly emerged Cloudless Sulphur

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

my second one

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Cloudless Sulphur Chrysalis green

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Cloudless Sulphur Chrysalis Yellow

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Gulf Frits mating. They really wiped out my passifloras

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Monarch new emerged

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Moth Pupa I got from Kay. Anyone know what kind or do I have to wait until it emerges lol

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

(Southern) Pearly Eye a first for me. I found it stuck between the sliding glass door and screen lol

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

another view

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Queen Cat

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Queen Chrysalis. I had 1 almost white, 1 pink, and 1 green, they were much smaller than the Monarch chrysalis

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Queen newly emerged

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

all 3 Queens newly emerged

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Question Mark- only the second time I have seen one and the only time I have gotten good pics lol

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

side view. He stayed on the base of my birdbath all day

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Sleepy Orange cat

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

larger cat

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

chrysalis- looks like Cloudless Sulphurs but smaller

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

newly emerged

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

outside. Couldn't get it to open its wings. Ihas a brown edge and orange middle

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

unknown cat found on Agastache at Lowes. He dissappeared before I could cage it after bringing the plant home lol. can't find any refrences of Agastache being a host plant

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Another unknown cat. Found on wild grape at the river. Should have brought it hope as I have wild grape all over here as well

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

well I think this has me all caught up on whats been going on around here. Hope you enjoy the pics

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Great pictures, don't you just love the butterflies and moths? I do! Thanks for sharing!!! And mine are still laying eggs all over the place, running out of plants though! :). Have a great day and you brightened mine!!!
Ruby

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Very very good pics Donna!

Those 2 up there look like they could be the same kind, (male, orangish and female,white) Some kind of Sulphers, I will look into it more later on.. and will watch thread cuz I am very curious. The QMark is amazing, Your Queen is beautiful! Pearleye is a sweetie! What did the Buckeye use for a Host? (very cool, my lil Ben loves those). I totally love those Sulphercats, their bright yellow color is eye popping!
The pupa looks like a sort of Clearwing .. maybe not the Strawberry one in this url, but probably a Clearwing of some kind. http://www.birds-n-garden.com/snowberry_clearwing_hummingbird_moths.html.. (thinking it won't emerge until Spring). Great find on your friends part! I can't wait to see it!

...so glad your catching up so we can see whats been going on around there..lol.
& Glad ya Shared!
Deb

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Donna - Great photos! Glad you posted them. Helps me to ID any I see in my yard. I really like the Question Mark. What a cool butterfly! :-)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Donna--you are so casual about your wonderful bf photo collection! I would be jumping for joy to have found all of those in my neighborhood, much less get such beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing! t.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Deb I have never seen the Buckeye cats. Need to look at my notes for the host. I usually on see them fall, winter and early spring so wondering if they go further north in summer to reproduce

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Donna, beautiful pics. I especially like the Question mark!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The HB moth pupae are real hard to tell, some look so close...Donna. It might be White lined Sphinx after all. :o) . We might just have to see when it ecloses. I read the WLSphinx will start crackling about an hour before it emerges.

Deb

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Great pictures, Donna - That Question Mark is beyond beautiful, and the Pearly Eye is awesome - but I've never met a butterfly I didn't like! Thank you for those pictures, and especially the ones of the Cloudless Sulphur chrysalides, which makes ID'ing them so much easier.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Donna! I'm glad to see those shots of the Sulphurs, and all the others! What plant is that Sleepy Orange "larger one" on?

In the spring I will have Question Marks and I'm always so excited to see them. I'm always thrilled by the little Buckeye's too. They are my son's favorites too. They supposedly use Frogfruit and snapdragons but I've never found cats.

Thanks for sharing! Glad to know you haven't been just eating bon-bons! ;)

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Paige the Sleepy Orange was on the Cassia Alata

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

My bad, I was looking at the leaf behind it. Porterweed? Just can't wait to have my own Sulphurs!

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

OMG, you have made my day with these gorgeous photos!! Thanks so much. Karen

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am adding at least one new Cassia this year~My Alatas just didn't get any cats. :o(. Are the blooms what draw the Sulpher females to lay eggs on it? If so, that would make a lot of sense. I have already cut down and covered them with about a foot of moss and mulch, hoping they will return and bloom earlier next year. Also adding Sienna I think.. Surely they will come then. :o)

o/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.